Phil X and Fretted Americana

Started by merman93, April 13, 2012, 04:25:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

merman93

http://www.youtube.com/user/frettedamericana?feature=watch

About www.frettedamericana.com  Located in California! call 818 222 4113 for all inquiries.
We are home to the best rare vintage guitars in the world, and one of the most popular guitar shows on the internet featuring the one and only Phil X! We want to inspire and win your trust and confidence.
GEAR: Phil X and Fretted Americana are proud to use CLEARTONE Strings!
We use a VOX AC-30  and A 1960's Tonemaster and... The EVIL*ROBOT amplifiers.
Phil X uses a Digitech Bad Monkey Overdrive for extra gain. Phil plays ESP Vipers and is endorsed by YAMAHA for his live guitars.
The music in the videos provided in most cases by The Drills ( kick your ass in 17 minutes) & We bring the rock n roll available on itunes.
POWDER! also available on itunes, both are Phil X's bands.
The Guitarist Phil Xenidis
"Follow Phil X on Twitter:     "
Ibanez RG 1520 GK
Ibanez RG 420 GK
Ibanez RG 920 (GK KIT)
Ibanez RGA 121 (GK 3)
Fender Deluxe Players Strat (GK KIT)
Roland GC 1/G 505/G 707
Hamer Phantom A7 (24 pin)
BX 13 (24 -13 pin converter)
GP-10
FishmanTripleplay (2)
VG 88 2.0
Apple Imac/Logic 9
MOTU Utralite 3
Kemper (2)
Gemini 2 Active FRFR

notnomiistakes

Quote from: merman93 on April 13, 2012, 04:25:34 AM
We all have Guilty Pleasures,...
:D
I check every week for Philx's latest video.  when i find one i save it and use VLC player to slow it down and learn it. 

@ 6:15 he does a version of 'Will It Go Round in Circles' by Billy Preston.  he even shows how to play.  Drop D

A2theT

ya awesome guitar player. had no idea he was a session player born in Canada. 
i just thought he was a "not" famous great axe slinger who worked in a music store.  lol
his original material is raw and fantastic. solid voice. i love air hockey champion of the world.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phil_X

http://philx.tv

Anyone who has kids in the "north of Toronto" area can send them to Camp Rock where PhilX is a Faculty resident.
Price seems fairly reasonable too.

http://www.campimc.ca/camp-rock/

HEAVY on the METAL
Axe-Fx II, Roland VG-99 + FC-300, Roland GR-55, Digitech Jamman Stereo, Ibanez/ESP/Jackson Guitars

notnomiistakes

VLC player - i just hit the keyboard - (minus/hyphen) button to slow down.  each time you hit it it slows more. hit the  + (plus) to go to normal speed.

A/B Repeat -  this allows to loop any part like a 3 second lick and the -/+ works during this which is very helpful.  use this all the time. to show this in player go to VIEW and check ADVANCED CONTROLS.  This feature will not show in fullscreen but you can still maximize the screen.

this Canadian is definitely Californiaized. 

notnomiistakes

Philx showing how to play I WISH by Stevie Wonder.  i wanted to share this with everybody. he comes up with this innovative stuff. he makes a keyboard song sound so good!
@ 6:40

whippinpost91850

notnomiistakes

Quote from: whippinpost91850 on April 14, 2012, 12:24:07 PM
How do you slow it down with VLC?

I First use Freecorder5 to save it to PC.  It's a free app that lets you save and play from YouTube and other flash player sites.   I place the HISTORY icon on the desktop for convenience & video automatically shows in HISTORY.  Also because you have to download the Freecorder5 toolbar which I disable.    Make sure to set VLC player as default for and FLV. I also set VLC as defualt for mp4.  What's nice you can drag WMV in VLC and all the fucntions work for it.  Let me know if you have any problems.

http://applian.com/freecorder5/

notnomiistakes

In HISTORY on second button down on right select SAVE then select SAVE AS VIDEO. this goes to DOCUMENTS>FREECORDER.

Another very cool feature is once you show ADVANCED CONTROLS you can hit the RECORD button so you don't have to save the entire video just RECORD the area you're interested in.  On my PC that save to VIDEOS folder.

whippinpost91850

Thanks as an old guy with bad ADD, That should help a lot :-[

notnomiistakes

just remembered an issue i had. do not UPGRADE to APPLIAN FLV 3.0 player. this will show in the HISTORY WINDOW after you start using it. you wont be able to use the HISTORY play BUTTON if you do.  i spent hours figuring this one out :)

whippinpost91850

Quote from: notnomiistakes on April 14, 2012, 02:03:16 PM
just remembered an issue i had. do not UPGRADE to APPLIAN FLV 3.0 player. this will show in the HISTORY WINDOW after you start using it. you wont be able to use the HISTORY play BUTTON if you do.  i spent hours figuring this one out :)
Thanks Again!! can't wait to try this

A2theT

evil robot and other boutique amps are one reason why i would really love to buy a kemper.
HEAVY on the METAL
Axe-Fx II, Roland VG-99 + FC-300, Roland GR-55, Digitech Jamman Stereo, Ibanez/ESP/Jackson Guitars

notnomiistakes

Quote from: A to the T on April 14, 2012, 07:48:04 PM
evil robot and other boutique amps are one reason why i would really love to buy a kemper.
for sure. also if Kemper sampled guitars watch out especially acoustics.  another watch out would be if TC Helicon would do a doubling guitar like they do their voice. 

Elantric

Quoteevil robot and other boutique amps are one reason why i would really love to buy a kemper.

There is already an Evil Robot KPA profile as a free download on the Kemper site too.

Owning the KPA IS like owning all the best guitar amps in the world, it's that good. I have not had time to profile my amps yet, as the hundreds of free download profiles others have made and shared are working fantastic.

A2theT

yes, I checked the kemper site for the evil robot immediately after watching his clips and noticed it profiled.  theres 700+ posts..sickening.
has anyone seen both the white/black kempers side by side in person.  I'm still hee'ing and haw'ing over it ;-)
i may be partial to the black but not sure yet....
HEAVY on the METAL

tekrytor

I'm waiting for the blue one to come out, so it matches my GR-55, he-he!
SY-300/BeatBuddy/VoiceLive 3/GR-55(v1.50)/33/1/50/700/VGA-7/V-Bass, Yam-G10, GPK-4, DIY X-Bee HighlyLiquidCPU "Cozy-Lil-Footie", FCB-1010, other MIDI stuff, Godin Freeway SA and various other GK equipped controllers, Sonar X1, Audacity, KXstudio, Misc devices

tekrytor

Yeah...but my Parker Custom Fly is also blue.
SY-300/BeatBuddy/VoiceLive 3/GR-55(v1.50)/33/1/50/700/VGA-7/V-Bass, Yam-G10, GPK-4, DIY X-Bee HighlyLiquidCPU "Cozy-Lil-Footie", FCB-1010, other MIDI stuff, Godin Freeway SA and various other GK equipped controllers, Sonar X1, Audacity, KXstudio, Misc devices

Elantric

Must watch the Bouzouki tuning trick