SY300 and SY1000 in 2024

Started by pasha811, April 03, 2024, 05:08:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pasha811

Hi I am looking around and I saw several SY300 sold used for less than half the standard price.
The same is not happening with SY1000.
In any case I'd like your input about ...
Does it make sense to invest in SY300 today?
Does it make sense to invest in a GK(2-3) unit today?

Thanks a lot
Pasha
Listen to my music at :  http://alonetone.com/pasha/

thebrushwithin

Well, I'm expecting the next SY to utilize the latest GK interface, and so I'm going to wait for it.

BROCKSTAR

It all makes sense depending on your needs.

Sy-300 makes sense for those who don't wanna use hex pickups and want to add some synth flavors to their sounds.

I would like boss to make an updated sy-300 that is bigger and better without the need of hex pickup, but lately all they seem to care about is making different watered down versions of it like the sy-1 and sy-200.... when they could have put the time and effort in making something totally bigger and better and new but they didn't, so that doesn't give me any hope for another one anytime soon.

I'm certain the next puzzle they'll do will be using the new system that connects to the gm-800, so only makes sense to make something like it for modelling guitar / modelling instruments or maybe another whole new and different synth module but i doubt it since they want people to use their zencore stuff.

However the SY-1000 is still very strong and best modelling guitar / instrument machine out right now and I don't think they'll make the new one better or with more stuff, probably just the same into a smaller package to put by the gm-800 and connect.

Brak(E)man

Quote from: pasha811 on April 03, 2024, 05:08:55 AMHi I am looking around and I saw several SY300 sold used for less than half the standard price.
The same is not happening with SY1000.
In any case I'd like your input about ...
Does it make sense to invest in SY300 today?
Does it make sense to invest in a GK(2-3) unit today?

Thanks a lot
Pasha

I still use SY-300 for both electric and acoustic guitars that doesn't have hexaphonic PU and I've recently had built a guitar with internal gk3 and I'm planning to buy up 4-5 internal gk3 kits soon.
( + I have several gk2 and gk1 laying around )
I'd hold off on the SY-1000 a while though , it's going to come down in price later on , that's my guess anyway.
Right now GP-10 is a better alternative price wise imho.

(The gm800 is of zero interest to me as well as the gk5.
I rather stick to softsynths or gr33 if I need them live.)
+ the fact that both the SYs and the gp as well as all the VGs works better for me synthwise than a guitar to midi or pcm triggered guitar synth.

swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch

pasha811

Thanks everybody for useful answers!
I was tempted by the lower price. To me an used SY300 sold at a lower price than a new SY200 and in almost pristine condition it's a bargain. By telling from youtube videos the SY200 has good tracking and I expect SY300 to be on the same page. Looking for some synth sounds (an SY200 could do but I ruled it out as it costs more than used gear).
I am now in the borderline land because I am mainly a "bedroom guitarist". If I have to gig then I have my beloved GP10 and I can have all the necessary synth sounds (a solo or two) in the yellow box.
In the house VG99 does it all for me. I am beta testing MG3 and making some fun. Expect more on the subject. 
So all in all I am not sure to invest in new technology (GM800 and new stuff with GK5) as it'll cost me too much unless it's a very revolutionary thing. Your answers are very valuable. Some of you in waiting mode, some not holding your breath for new stuff and some still using aged but reliable and very good old GK gear. That is were I am looking in to so thanks!
Listen to my music at :  http://alonetone.com/pasha/

IMH1234

Quote from: Brak(E)man on April 03, 2024, 09:47:01 AMI still use SY-300 for both electric and acoustic guitars that doesn't have hexaphonic PU and I've recently had built a guitar with internal gk3 and I'm planning to buy up 4-5 internal gk3 kits soon.
( + I have several gk2 and gk1 laying around )
I'd hold off on the SY-1000 a while though , it's going to come down in price later on , that's my guess anyway.
Right now GP-10 is a better alternative price wise imho.

(The gm800 is of zero interest to me as well as the gk5.
I rather stick to softsynths or gr33 if I need them live.)
+ the fact that both the SYs and the gp as well as all the VGs works better for me synthwise than a guitar to midi or pcm triggered guitar synth.

Am waiting to see what if anything Roland bring out that feels like a step forward for guitar synthesis from the VG-99 before deciding if/how to upgrade my setup - the SY1000 is capable with flaws but somehow never quite persuaded be to pull the trigger and I have never found pitch to midi worked for me - although I did briefly try out a Synthaxe that I would have bought in a heartbeat if I had £20K spare at the time

BROCKSTAR

Quote from: pasha811 on April 03, 2024, 10:37:02 AMThanks everybody for useful answers!
I was tempted by the lower price. To me an used SY300 sold at a lower price than a new SY200 and in almost pristine condition it's a bargain. By telling from youtube videos the SY200 has good tracking and I expect SY300 to be on the same page. Looking for some synth sounds (an SY200 could do but I ruled it out as it costs more than used gear).
I am now in the borderline land because I am mainly a "bedroom guitarist". If I have to gig then I have my beloved GP10 and I can have all the necessary synth sounds (a solo or two) in the yellow box.
In the house VG99 does it all for me. I am beta testing MG3 and making some fun. Expect more on the subject. 
So all in all I am not sure to invest in new technology (GM800 and new stuff with GK5) as it'll cost me too much unless it's a very revolutionary thing. Your answers are very valuable. Some of you in waiting mode, some not holding your breath for new stuff and some still using aged but reliable and very good old GK gear. That is were I am looking in to so thanks!

If you like to tweak stuff, then I wouldn't suggest sy-200 or sy-1 as they have barely anything to tweak on them. The original sy-300 is a tweakers dream and the awesome blender and I'd go for that if you went for any of those 3.

Brak(E)man

Quote from: BROCKSTAR on April 03, 2024, 10:53:09 AMIf you like to tweak stuff, then I wouldn't suggest sy-200 or sy-1 as they have barely anything to tweak on them. The original sy-300 is a tweakers dream and the awesome blender and I'd go for that if you went for any of those 3.
I agree fully
Also the GP-10 + the SY300 works perfect together.
(GK into gp guitar out into SY and back into aux in on GP)
Prior to SY-1000 that was my setup.

- Lydia Lunch

Brak(E)man

Quote from: IMH1234 on April 03, 2024, 10:47:22 AMAm waiting to see what if anything Roland bring out that feels like a step forward for guitar synthesis from the VG-99 before deciding if/how to upgrade my setup - the SY1000 is capable with flaws but somehow never quite persuaded be to pull the trigger and I have never found pitch to midi worked for me - although I did briefly try out a Synthaxe that I would have bought in a heartbeat if I had £20K spare at the time

I hope that they'll will take a step forward but in many ways the steps forward has been more mainstream than the predecessor. ( so I'm not holding my breath )
The vg8 is still in many ways the most innovative imho.
Vg 99 has som great features like the dbeam, ribbon and some great sound and control possibilities that neither vg88 or gp-10 has but I bonded more with both of them.
I also tried the synthaxe but the best imho was the zeta mirror that I had the opportunity to try out for a period. I should have bought one but...
 https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=37004.0

- Lydia Lunch

loopman

I hope the Roland/Boss R&D team will pay attention to creating a real new product for the next SY/VG/GK that can have innovative features compared to the past

thebrushwithin

Even though I'm waiting on the SY with the GK5, doesn't mean I'll get it, as Roland notoriously leaves out many innovations from the past VG units, and that is maddening. All I need is the modelling end with all of the advantages of alt tunings, etc., as an interface, because the plug-in world is really becoming incredible, and Gig Performer is making it practical to utilize them on a stage.

IMH1234

Quote from: Brak(E)man on April 03, 2024, 12:20:33 PMThe vg8 is still in many ways the most innovative imho.

Interestingly, I have never actually tried a VG8 - If I don't find some interesting direction with whatever comes next I might focus on some of these older units instead - interesting to see if there are corners of their functionality that are still open to exploration

IMH1234

Quote from: IMH1234 on April 04, 2024, 09:47:28 AMInterestingly, I have never actually tried a VG8 - If I don't find some interesting direction with whatever comes next I might focus on some of these older units instead - interesting to see if there are corners of their functionality that are still open to exploration

and interesting how I managed to use the work 'interesting' so many times in such a short post  :o

Elantric

Quote from: IMH1234 on April 04, 2024, 11:10:45 AMand interesting how I managed to use the work 'interesting' so many times in such a short post  :o