Raising volume of built-in models

Started by johnnypro, March 29, 2024, 09:11:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnypro

Hi all!!
I just got a used G5 VG Strat. The guitars magnetic pickups are a lot louder than the models and I was wondering if there was a way to raise the volume of the models. I could lower the pickups, but they sound real good as-is so if I could raise the volume of the modeled sounds, it would make the guitar a lot more usable in a live setting. Thanx!!! jp

Brent Flash

Welcome to the group johnnypro!  :)

Brent Flash

Quote from: johnnypro on March 29, 2024, 09:11:45 PMHi all!!
I just got a used G5 VG Strat. The guitars magnetic pickups are a lot louder than the models and I was wondering if there was a way to raise the volume of the models. I could lower the pickups, but they sound real good as-is so if I could raise the volume of the modeled sounds, it would make the guitar a lot more usable in a live setting. Thanx!!! jp
Once your guitar is properly set up you should make sure the distance between the top of the
GK pickup and the bottom of the strings is approximately 1 mm (0.04") when depressing the
strings at the highest fret. The height of the GK pickup can be adjusted by using the Height
Adjustment Screws.

johnnypro

Thank You for the welcome. I didn't realize the height of the GK pickup could affect the volume of the models. I will try that and report back. I also saw a 14 year old post somewhere that there are pots on the circuit board that can affect the volume?

Elantric

Quote from: johnnypro on March 30, 2024, 10:30:14 AMThank You for the welcome. I didn't realize the height of the GK pickup could affect the volume of the models. I will try that and report back. I also saw a 14 year old post somewhere that there are pots on the circuit board that can affect the volume?
6 string Level Potentiometers are on the far right

johnnypro

Quote from: Elantric on March 30, 2024, 11:14:01 AM6 string Level Potentiometers are on the far right

So I need to pull the pickguard, or the "L" shaped cover on the back to expose these? These are the 6 Blue pots shown in your picture?

admin_shawnb

How far are your strings from the GK when you are fretting at the highest fret?

If > 1 mm, I would try that first.

gumbo

Quote from: admin_shawnb on March 30, 2024, 01:33:38 PMHow far are your strings from the GK when you are fretting at the highest fret?

If > 1 mm, I would try that first.

And bear in mind that the pieces of surgical rubber tubing that surround the height adjustment screws for the GK pickup (no, there are not springs) are probably perished and need replacing anyway....and that is a pickguard-off exercise ....    ..just saying....  otherwise the GK pickup is just floating around anyway....

Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...

gumbo

Quote from: johnnypro on March 30, 2024, 01:28:42 PMSo I need to pull the pickguard, or the "L" shaped cover on the back to expose these? These are the 6 Blue pots shown in your picture?

Back cover, and yes....but also read my other post about adjusting the height of the GK pickup.
Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...

Elantric

Rear cover
https://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/namm-2012-roland-and-fender-unleash-vg-stratocaster-g-5-524687

But to balance normal pickups with GK Modeling output, lower the Normal Pickups height will reduce thier output to closer match the Modelled Tones