Keys controlling GR55

Started by violinja, March 23, 2024, 08:31:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

violinja

Hey everyone, I'm very new to the world of MIDI. I have a Roland GR-55 and a midi Zeta violin. Typically I use this violin to play through the GR-55. So far, I'm in love, but...

I'm working on a new project and I'd like to incorporate keys as part of that project. I have a MIDI keys controller that I would like to use and have set it up with my DAW. My question is: is the GR-55 capable of receiving commands from another MIDI device and sending its sounds to my DAW for recording/live performance? I've read the GR-55 user manual and I'm left feeling slightly confused. Can anyone walk me through this?

Thanks in advance,
-Violinja

Chumly

GR55 as a MIDI sound module? (Not Possible)

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=3860.0
I think it's much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers which might be wrong. - Richard P. Feynman

Elantric

billbax

Thanks Elantric for posting the GR-55 re-amping movie. It seems many folk think analog GK separate string signals are MIDI data.

The better GR-55 re-amping (sound module) movie is my PCM piano demo. It was good to get away from my usual Wishbone rock stuff, and included a groovy 6/4 time-signature (attempted Purdy shuffle sort of works), with four or five Fagen-ish GR-55 piano voices. Guitar and PCM string voices are easy to re-amp, but articulate PCM instruments like a piano need a lot of audio sequencer tweaking.

Deep and extensive GR-55 patch searching is only possible with re-amping.

violinja

Quote from: Chumly on March 23, 2024, 08:54:18 PMGR55 as a MIDI sound module? (Not Possible)

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=3860.0

Thank you, this link was insightful. I believe my confusion came from reading the manual and my very basic understanding, or lack thereof, of MIDI. Ultimately I bought the GR55 to be controlled by my violin, which it does fairly well. Some tones (many of the keys or pad styles) do not respond well when played with a bowed instrument. I can work around a little by plucking the string and being very precise with triggering only one note.

Thank you all for the quick responses!

violinja

Quote from: billbax on March 24, 2024, 08:02:54 AMThanks Elantric for posting the GR-55 re-amping movie. It seems many folk think analog GK separate string signals are MIDI data.

The better GR-55 re-amping (sound module) movie is my PCM piano demo. It was good to get away from my usual Wishbone rock stuff, and include a groovy 6/4 time-signature (attempted Purdy shuffle sort of works), with four or five Fagen-ish GR-55 piano voices. Guitar and PCM string voices are easy to re-amp, but articulate PCM instruments like a piano need a lot of audio sequencer tweaking.

Deep and extensive GR-55 patch searching is only possible with re-amping.

Very interesting. Did you record all of these tracks with a GK guitar? What does your signal path look like for the reamping?

Elantric

Quote from: violinja on March 24, 2024, 08:46:27 AMVery interesting. Did you record all of these tracks with a GK guitar? What does your signal path look like for the reamping?
https://www.separate-strings.co.uk/index.html

billbax

Hi violinja,

All separate string tracks were recorded with a modified GK3 equivalent. I recorded around eight separate string takes, and cherry-picked/pasted best phrase performances to primary composition one.

Input signal path:GK-3 13 pin   Hex output > Breakout Cable with separate strings out > DAW interface line/Mic inputs X 6 > Cubase.

Output playback: Cubase strings out > DAW interface line-outputs X 6 > Breakout Cable > GR-55 hands-free re-amping.

Re-amping separate strings makeover enhancement page.
https://separate-strings.co.uk/editingandprocessing.html

violinja

Quote from: billbax on March 24, 2024, 10:18:25 AMHi violinja,

All separate string tracks were recorded with a modified GK3 equivalent. I recorded around eight separate string takes, and cherry-picked/pasted best phrase performances to primary composition one.

Input signal path:GK-3 13 pin   Hex output > Breakout Cable with separate strings out > DAW interface line/Mic inputs X 6 > Cubase.

Output playback: Cubase strings out > DAW interface line-outputs X 6 > Breakout Cable > GR-55 hands-free re-amping.

Thank you for taking the time to share this. Definitely have some learning to do in my future. The separate strings device looks intimidating  ;D

billbax

Edited DAW sequencer separate strings, and re-amping to GR-55 PCM voices sound accurate. Basic GR-55 guitar modeling and normal-guitar re-amping is straightforward.

The problem with basic GK to GR-55 PCM voices is getting past critical ears, and producer 3-5 day later regrets.