My experiments with the Katana:GO in linux

Started by TheJLF65, March 23, 2024, 06:42:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheJLF65

Finally got around to trying out my Katana:GO. It works as advertised. The tuner is easy to use and works a charm, and switching patches and channels is simple enough. The GO is LOUD! Be sure to turn it down the first time you try it on headphones. Plugged directly into my Epiphone Les Paul Classic, it doesn't get in the way when playing it seated, and will turn and swivel to be easily visible for tuning and checking which patch is selected. One of the youtube reviews I watched made it seem like that might be an issue - I'm happy to report that at least on the LP (or similar) models, there's no problem seeing and controlling the unit.

So then I connected it to my computer running Xubuntu 20.04LTS (will be updating to 24.04LTS next month). It pops right up as both a sound input and output. Need to play with the output a bit more... see how that works with the GO. I'm thinking it'll blend with the current patch, kind of like sessions do. As loud as the headphones are, the input to the computer is fairly low (I expect that you have to crank the volume knob of the GO to get it going rail to rail), but the recording still sounds good. The input is 32-bit floating point at 44,100 Hz. I'll play with it more tomorrow to see if it's true stereo, or just outputting the same signal to both right and left. I'll also try to get FxFloorBoard running and see if it handles the GO. But as first tests go, I'm pretty happy. I can at least record the GO across USB for a nice clean recording.

Elantric

Gumtowns Fxfloorboard and third party Katana accessories ( Xsonic Airstep Kat) will not be compatible with Katana Go -

Use BTS for Katana:GO to adjust
USB AUDIO LEVELS

TheJLF65

Will not? Or does not yet? There is a big difference between the two.  :)

Thanks for the hint on the USB audio level... should have noticed that in the manual.

EDIT: Used the USB audio levels in BTC to adjust for my computer and headphones (connected to the GO, not the computer). As I suspected, the audio out from the computer to the GO is mixed with the wet signal, so you can jam to any music/video you want playing from the computer/tablet. Bypasses those pesky livestage issues. I had to turn the volume (on the GO via the USB audio levels) to 20 - the default of 100 is VERY loud indeed. I have to say, the audio through the GO is really good. The other direction, I turned the audio out from the GO to 170, which still leaves a good amount of headroom on the recording on the computer. Sounds good that way, too.

TheJLF65

I have been recording from the USB audio using audacity. I haven't perceived any latency in the recording, but that's not the case in Reaper. When recording in Reaper, if you monitor the audio track as it records, there's a tremendously large latency - more than a full second. The preferences show it using 128 sample blocks for the audio, so I'm wondering if that's normal for Reaper. I can always record in audacity and then import the track into Reaper, so it's not that big an issue, just kinda strange. I'm new to Reaper, so I'm still learning all the ins and outs.