VG-99- Mac OS drivers.

Started by keitht, January 23, 2024, 12:04:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

keitht

I got my VG-99 connected to the Mac M2 with a few bumps. Sample rate must be set to 44.1, fine, but certainly not the default these days. When SPDIF doesn't work, it just doesn't, wiggling wires, swearing, nothing helps.

In debugging I dug out my old Edirol UA-5, which has SPDIF I/O coax and optical. Here's the shocker. Connect its USB to Sonoma and it shows right up, no driver install needed. Cool but why can't the VG-99 do that trick too? Roland's most recent UA-5 driver is for Snow Leopard 2009. Its coax input crackles so I won't use it, amazing that it still works. I used it with Win98 back in the day.

The digital out sounds really nice, no hiss at all, very clean. I want to use it so that I can keep my normal analog signal chain for my ears without changing it for recording.

keitht

For the fun of it, I have Parallels Desktop running Windows 11 on my M2 Pro Mac mini Sonoma ARM box. If I set the 99's USB Driver Mode to Standard, the Windows VM sees it as an audio device, speaker and line input both work. Is that worth $99 a year for a Parallels subscription? Probably not, but just FYI, it does work. No luck with a VG-99 midi device driver so far as the Advanced USB driver is not seen by the Mac or VM. That means no VG-99 Editor on Mac.

However, the Standard USB mode of the VG-99 does provide audio in and out devices on the new Mac OS. This is simpler than the SPDIF connection for that purpose.

Elantric

Quote from: keitht on March 18, 2024, 03:39:01 PMHowever, the VG-99 in  Standard USB mode does provide audio in and out device on the new Mac OS. This is simpler than the SPDIF connection for that purpose.

VG-99 USB Standard Mode is restricted to 16 bit @ 44.1kHz audio ( CD Quality) and allows VG-99 to be used as USB Class Compliant  Audio I/O no USB Audio Driver required on any Operating System ( IOS, ANDROID, LINUX, WINDOWS, MAC)

Vaultnaemsae

Quote from: keitht on March 18, 2024, 03:39:01 PMFor the fun of it, I have Parallels Desktop running Windows 11 on my M2 Pro Mac mini Sonoma ARM box. If I set the 99's USB Driver Mode to Standard, the Windows VM sees it as an audio device, speaker and line input both work. Is that worth $99 a year for a Parallels subscription? Probably not, but just FYI, it does work. No luck with a VG-99 midi device driver so far as the Advanced USB driver is not seen by the Mac or VM. That means no VG-99 Editor on Mac.

However, the Standard USB mode of the VG-99 does provide audio in and out devices on the new Mac OS. This is simpler than the SPDIF connection for that purpose.

This is not entirely correct.

Parallels can access registered MIDI ports from macOS directly so if you use a DIN-to-USB MIDI interface between the VG-99 and the computer (macOS side) you can operate Roland's VG-99 editor/librarian in Windows and simultaneously have access to relevant MIDI functions in your DAW on the macOS side. Search my videos on it for more info.
Vaultnaemsae's SoundCloud:
https://soundcloud.com/vaultnaemsae

keitht

What I found with Parallels is that it does not recognize the advanced driver usb mode of the VG-99. That is disappointing, since any real Windows 10/11 machine does that automatically without any driver installed. My guess is that Parallels has taken a simplified approach to sound and midi devices, since most users don't need what we do. I also find the cost excessive. I tried two of the $5.99 activation keys from Electronic First before giving up on them. So $199 for a key from M$ plus $99 a year for Parallels is just not worth it when I have several Windows 10 computers already.

I did find this thread, The Bumping road to VG99 Editor where the goal is getting the VG-99 Editor working in a Windows VM on Mac. I rarely use that editor since my VG-99 is convenient on a hand high pedestal. I can use the SPDIF digital output for the Mac audio and connect the 99 USB in advanced mode to an actual Windows computer and get the best of both, but on two screens and no common audio, Dante is not for me. I am not worried by the 44.1kHz sample rate, that is clearly the internal DSP rate of the VG-99 and it is certainly adequate for the guitar signal audio bandwidth. If I did want to record at higher rates, I would use the analog VG-99 outputs with an interface like Motu.

I am trying CrossOver out of curiosity, but I doubt I will keep it. The best solution would be to recompile the Editor for ARM on the new Macs.

Antonuzzo

I have an old Mac running Yosemite that I keep alive just for the purpose of digital I/O for the kit that Roland hamstrings and then abandons...

pasha811

Quote from: keitht on March 20, 2024, 06:48:30 AMWhat I found with Parallels is that it does not recognize the advanced driver usb mode of the VG-99. That is disappointing, since any real Windows 10/11 machine does that automatically without any driver installed. My guess is that Parallels has taken a simplified approach to sound and midi devices, since most users don't need what we do. I also find the cost excessive. I tried two of the $5.99 activation keys from Electronic First before giving up on them. So $199 for a key from M$ plus $99 a year for Parallels is just not worth it when I have several Windows 10 computers already.

I did find this thread, The Bumping road to VG99 Editor where the goal is getting the VG-99 Editor working in a Windows VM on Mac. I rarely use that editor since my VG-99 is convenient on a hand high pedestal. I can use the SPDIF digital output for the Mac audio and connect the 99 USB in advanced mode to an actual Windows computer and get the best of both, but on two screens and no common audio, Dante is not for me. I am not worried by the 44.1kHz sample rate, that is clearly the internal DSP rate of the VG-99 and it is certainly adequate for the guitar signal audio bandwidth. If I did want to record at higher rates, I would use the analog VG-99 outputs with an interface like Motu.

I am trying CrossOver out of curiosity, but I doubt I will keep it. The best solution would be to recompile the Editor for ARM on the new Macs.

As you read from my post Cross Over was the clear winner (I took an offer at 29 Euros!)
I am very satisfied and I can recommend it without afterthoughts.

Ciao
Paolo
Listen to my music at :  http://alonetone.com/pasha/

Vaultnaemsae

Actually, I was having a brain fart above...I use CrossOver for the VG editor - not Parallels. Parallels used to work in older versions with Intel Macs and network midi to link macOS and windows but that ship has sailed.
Vaultnaemsae's SoundCloud:
https://soundcloud.com/vaultnaemsae