Boss Katana:Go

Started by Elantric, March 14, 2024, 07:19:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

taupo_axeman and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

Elantric

Quote from: maan108 on March 25, 2024, 07:44:31 AMHallo! On most of Youtube video I see KatanaGo phone out used for recording. I've an old DAW and (maybe) mine is not USB audio compliant. Please someone can tell me if it advisable link the KATANA GO headphone out to a line input of a Daw or I need some adapter ???

These days  " DAW " is a computer, with a DAW software application , and a separate hardware Audio interface.

What hardware audio interface do you own and use with your DAW application ?

Many do use Headphone Output with
3.5mm TRS "Y Adapter " to two 1/4" TS plugs feeding Line Inputs on an Audio Interface used for DAW app.

Bill Ruppert

Does this have any built in looping like the Mooer P2?

Elantric

quad4

Quote from: TheJLF65 on March 25, 2024, 07:19:37 AMOne thing I did notice - there's a HUGE latency between playing the guitar and it recording in Reaper. This is on Reaper since Audacity is close enough to instant that I don't perceive any delay.

How is it round trip in terms of latency?  Guitar -> Katana Go -> USB -> DAW -> USB -> Katana Go (with loopback enabled) -> Headphones?

maan108

Quote from: Elantric on March 25, 2024, 08:10:12 AMWhat hardware audio interface do you own and use with your DAW application ?

Thanks for your reply ! I got a DAW made by DELL Dimension PC with EMU 1820 sound card & I/O box. My question was mainly for a correct adapt of electrical level out from KATANA GO phone to 1820 line input having the necessary jack adapt how you indicated

Mrchevy

Quote from: Elantric on March 25, 2024, 08:10:12 AMThese days  " DAW " is a computer, with a DAW software application , and a separate hardware Audio interface.

What hardware audio interface do you own and use with your DAW application ?

Many do use Headphone Output with
3.5mm TRS "Y Adapter " to two 1/4" TS plugs feeding Line Inputs on an Audio Interface used for DAW app.

This. I gave up on the USB thing. Tried a few different things and then thought, I have Bias FX2 and Helix Native on this computer, why am I worrying about making this thing work. I do have the adapter so I just plugged it in and no troubles. Simple , easy peasy. I can also plug it in to my mixer, along with everything else, and it's all good. In all the greatness and advancement of computer technology, there's something to be said for good old traditional means.

All in all, I'll stand by my previous statement that this thing is a no brainer for $119 us, but for me, the Waza air is an overall better experience, even though the Katana go has better function, the app is better layed out in most ways, and considerably cheaper. My plan is to take the Go and my M Audio monitors and build my own Katana (Spark) amp.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG 50's prototype
Squire classic vibe 60's
Epi LP Modern
Epi SG Custom
Martin acoustic

Princeton chorus 210

GT100
GR-55
Helix LT
Waza Air Headphones
Boomerang III

And, a lot of stuff I DON'T need

Elantric

QuoteThis. I gave up on the USB thing. Tried a few different things and then thought, I have Bias FX2 and Helix Native on this computer, why am I worrying about making this thing work. I do have the adapter so I just plugged it in and no troubles. Simple , easy peasy. I can also plug it in to my mixer, along with everything else, and it's all good. In all the greatness and advancement of computer technology, there's something to be said for good old traditional means.

Curious. What make/ model is your computer Audio interface?

QuoteRoland Octa-Capture and Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 interfaces,

Mrchevy

Quote from: Elantric on March 26, 2024, 06:08:36 AMCurious. What make/ model is your computer Audio interface?

UA volt 2. I have all my stuff running into a Mackie board which runs into my Volt 2 stereo. I run my Helix LT, GR55, everything routed thru my Boomerang looper. Interface output to 2 10 inch powered PA monitor. I haven't actually tried using the katana go as an audio interface. It would probably work doing it that way but then by that time I may as well just plug it directly into the audio interface for my mixing board.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG 50's prototype
Squire classic vibe 60's
Epi LP Modern
Epi SG Custom
Martin acoustic

Princeton chorus 210

GT100
GR-55
Helix LT
Waza Air Headphones
Boomerang III

And, a lot of stuff I DON'T need

TheJLF65

You can certainly connect the headphone out of the GO to the line input on a computer for REALLY old-school recording, but before you do, you might want to try recording through the USB using something like Audacity. It's free, and does a great job recording the USB audio from the GO in linux, so I'd expect the Windows version to do at least as good. Can't hurt to try, and you may just avoid needing extra hardware or trying to use your old analogue audio input.

https://www.audacityteam.org/download/windows/

Quote from: quad4 on March 25, 2024, 08:41:50 AMHow is it round trip in terms of latency?  Guitar -> Katana Go -> USB -> DAW -> USB -> Katana Go (with loopback enabled) -> Headphones?

Given that guitar->GO->USB->Reaper is at least a full second, I really don't care to check the full round trip. :)  My current plan is to just record in audacity and then import the track into Reaper. If I did want to record in Reaper for some reason, I would simply not stop the track recording in Reaper until I saw the display of the recording drop to silent.

Elantric

Quote from: TheJLF65 on March 26, 2024, 01:24:42 PMYou can certainly connect the headphone out of the GO to the line input on a computer for REALLY old-school recording, but before you do, you might want to try recording through the USB using something like Audacity. It's free, and does a great job recording the USB audio from the GO in linux, so I'd expect the Windows version to do at least as good. Can't hurt to try, and you may just avoid needing extra hardware or trying to use your old analogue audio input.

https://www.audacityteam.org/download/windows/

Given that guitar->GO->USB->Reaper is at least a full second, I really don't care to check the full round trip. :)  My current plan is to just record in audacity and then import the track into Reaper. If I did want to record in Reaper for some reason, I would simply not stop the track recording in Reaper until I saw the display of the recording drop to silent.

I always monitor from my Guitar  DSP MFX with USB AUDIO I/O hardware unit headphone out  in real time, and its the DAW backing tracks I use while recording that have latency that is masked and not apparent when I record from any Guitar Modeler with USB AUDIO into Reaper

#1 Newbie mistake for Guitar MFX with Windows PCs - Monitoring Sound
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=33864.0#msg250440

Only time I feel latency from DAW is real time Guitar Amp Sim  plug in software

TheJLF65

Quote from: Elantric on March 26, 2024, 03:02:56 PMI always monitor from my Guitar  DSP MFX with USB AUDIO I/O hardware unit headphone out  in real time, and its the DAW backing tracks I use while recording that have latency that is masked and not apparent when I record from any Guitar Modeler with USB AUDIO into Reaper

#1 Newbie mistake for Guitar MFX with Windows PCs - Monitoring Sound
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=33864.0#msg250440

Only time I feel latency from DAW is real time Guitar Amp Sim  plug in software

From the linked message

Quote from: admin on January 09, 2022, 08:10:45 AMI never connect Headphones to the laptop, nor do I use the laptop /Computer speakers to monitor my Guitar MFX units USB Audio Output.

Good advice in that post. Although I'm using linux instead of Windows, much of it still applies. I'm very much a newbie in all this and happy to take whatever advice is offered. There's lots of great information on this board, it's just a matter of finding it.  :D

Elantric

Just received the Katana:GO

IMHO, the Pocket GT remains far superior.

With Katana:Go, after a 10 minute play through ,  I'm  Not experiencing any Stereo FX, and the tones on exhibition  are surpassed or exceeded on the more feature rich  Boss Pocket GT -

Pocket GT offers Stereo ambient effects, Guitar Synth- like Overtone Organ simulation,  and much better electric guitar to Acoustic Simulation

Add the Backing Track Center Cancel Switch to isolate parts - given a choice. I'd use the Pocket GT as it offers 99 user presets, hardware Aux Input, and bulk of the features of Katana:Go ( support for Boss BLE Wireless Footswitch/ Expression Pedal  - look for the early 32 bit Pocket GT

drnct

Quote from: Elantric on April 02, 2024, 03:06:59 PMWith Katana:Go, after a 10 minute play through ,  I'm  Not experiencing any Stereo FX, and the tones on exhibition  are surpassed or exceeded on the more feature rich  Boss Pocket GT -

I'm a stereo geek and was hesitant to buy the Go after seeing at least one YouTube video stating the unit was mono only, but I'm currently enjoying at least the Stereo Delay ping ponging between my ears (Stage Feel switched off, otherwise it is summed to mono). I'm still hunting for any other stereo goodness...

Elantric

Quote from: drnct on April 03, 2024, 11:27:57 AMI'm a stereo geek and was hesitant to buy the Go after seeing at least one YouTube video stating the unit was mono only, but I'm currently enjoying at least the Stereo Delay ping ponging between my ears (Stage Feel switched off, otherwise it is summed to mono). I'm still hunting for any other stereo goodness...
Thanks for pointing this out  - will spend more time with Katana:GO this week.

Elantric

Spent a bit more time comparing Pocket GT vs KATANA:GO

There are many similarities, but there are FX differences which may impact your preference 

KATANA:GO and POCKET GT provide these FX in  common 

COMPRESSOR
LIMITER
TOUCH  WAH
GRAPHIC EQ
PARAMETRIC EQ 
GUITAR SIM 
ACOUSTIC GUITAR SIM
SLOW GEAR
OCTAVE
PITCH SHIFTER
HARMONIST
PHASER         
FLANGER
TREMOLO
ROTARY
UNIVIBE
VIBRATO
CHORUS
ACOUSTIC PROCESSOR
GRAPHIC EQ
PARAMETRIC EQ
NS  NOISE SUPRESSER                       
USB AUDIO RE-AMPIN
TUNER
STAGE FEEL

POCKET GT FX ( not on Katana:GO)

TONE MODIFY
OVERTONE ( Organ Sim)
FEEDBACKER
SUB DELAY
MASTER PATCH LEVEL
MASTER BPM
MASTER KEY ( HARMONIST)
MASTER PARA EQ
KNOB ASSIGNMENT (Target any Parameter) 
PATCH MEMORY 99
USB HID Youtube Controls
3.5MM TRS STEREO AUX INPUT
CENTER CANCEL PHASE SWITCH ( FOR BACKING AUDIO)

KATANA:GO FX (not on Pocket GT)

DRIVE PEDAL: CENTA OD  (Klon Centaur)
  CHORUS with selectable High/Low Crossover frequency, independant High/Low Pre Delay
  AUTO WAH
  RING MODULATOR
  SLICER
  10 Band Graphic EQ
  HEAVY OCTAVE
  PITCH SHIFTER with 2 Voices
  HARMONIZER with 2 Voices, and 2 User definable Scales
  WAVE SYNTH (SAW, SQUARE)
  HUMANIZER ( Formant Vowels  a, e, i, o, u )
  MXR EVH-90 Phase Shifter
  MXR EVH-117 Flanger
  Roland DC-30 Analog Chorus Echo
  Roland SDE-3000 Delay
  SOLO Boost / EQ
  CONTOUR EQ three types
  PEDAL WAH 95E ( Dunlop EVH95 WAH)

DEDICATED GUITAR MODE and BASS Modes

BASS MODE Three BASS AMP Sims with vintage, flat or modern
  BASS MODE  SANSAMP BASS DRIVER DI.
  BASS MODE MXR Bass D.I.+
  BASS MODE WAVE SYNTH
  BASS MODE ENHANCER
  BASS MODE DEFRETTER

taupo_axeman

I am really excited about getting the Katana Go, and pondering setting it up as my main live amp, getting rid of my 2 other Katanas (I have one in Oz, one in NZ), and have one simple little unit that I can take on a plane in my pocket.  Wow!

I know it's delicate for live use, but I won't have it sticking out of the guitar (except for practice at home) but rather chain it on the end of my current wireless receiver using a female-female jack adapter, and keep it safely at the FRFR speaker or mixer end.

Can anyone give any negatives to this?You cannot view this attachment.
https://www.tasmanaxeman.com/
https://www.gigbag.app/
Guitars: 1975 Strat, Godin XTSA, Maton Acoustic, Roland GC1
Kemper Stage
ToneMaster Pro
Strymon fx
Floor: Boss GP-10, VG8 EX, VG-88
Studio: Logic Pro, Omnisphere, Korg Triton, Tria Event speakers

quad4

Wondering if a MVave Chocolate with a CME Widi can connect to Katana Go and send it Midi commands?

And if that works, then would adding an expression pedal to the Chocolate allow it to control the volume or wah?  (This would need a Widi uHost to connect via USB as the expression port is also the TRS Midi port)

Note: While the Chocolate cannot connect to Widi Bluetooth (and pretty much any other bluetooth devices besides the MVave dongle), you can connect a Widi to the Chocolate which then connects to other bluetooth devices).

Elantric

Quote from: quad4 on April 08, 2024, 09:20:02 PMWondering if a MVave Chocolate with a CME Widi can connect to Katana Go and send it Midi commands?

And if that works, then would adding an expression pedal to the Chocolate allow it to control the volume or wah?  (This would need a Widi uHost to connect via USB as the expression port is also the TRS Midi port)

Note: While the Chocolate cannot connect to Widi Bluetooth (and pretty much any other bluetooth devices besides the MVave dongle), you can connect a Widi to the Chocolate which then connects to other bluetooth devices).

Just get the official Boss FS-1-WL, or EV-1-WL

TheJLF65

After seeing a comment elsewhere, I checked into a claim that turns out to be correct. If you switch to the tuner, the USB audio out is the guitar with no effects or amps or anything applied. So you can use the GO for a DI box.  :)

Elantric

Quote from: TheJLF65 on Today at 08:04:30 AMAfter seeing a comment elsewhere, I checked into a claim that turns out to be correct. If you switch to the tuner, the USB audio out is the guitar with no effects or amps or anything applied. So you can use the GO for a DI box.  :)

Also there are adjustable USB Audio settings too

TheJLF65

Yes, I knew about those from my thread on using the GO with linux. Had to use the USB output level to get a good swing on the signal into the PC. You'll need to turn it up even higher with DI - guitars are pretty quiet compared to pedals. Well, unless you have active pickups...

quad4

Quote from: TheJLF65 on Today at 08:04:30 AMAfter seeing a comment elsewhere, I checked into a claim that turns out to be correct. If you switch to the tuner, the USB audio out is the guitar with no effects or amps or anything applied. So you can use the GO for a DI box.  :)

Nice! 

Can you loop back the processed USB audio and play it through the headphone out?

Katana Go -> USB -> DAW/modeler -> USB -> Katana Go -> Headphones

I assume it's low enough latency to track your playing in real time?

Elantric

Hurdle for Windows users, no Katana:Go ASIO DRIVER  means higher real time latency

Ipad Amp Sims would be preffered

Elantric

But if you seek USB Audio interface for Amp sims, the Nux Mighty Plug Pro is a better choice - has native ASIO driver and much deeper USB AUDIO settings  , with reamping on any computer  platform
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=34254.0#quickreply_anchor

quad4

Certainly the MPP is much more flexible in terms of USB options. 

The custom driver is a benefit for Windows users ... but probably not a benefit for Macs.

I would not replace an interface with these devices ... but would be nice when travelling.