Boss Katana:Go

Started by Elantric, March 14, 2024, 07:19:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric

Waza Air for the rest of us. $119 USD

BOSS serves up another instant classic with the Katana:Go mini guitar headphone amp! Guitarists and bassists will find a treasure tone of tone within this pocket-sized headphone amp, including 10 amp types and over 85 effects in guitar mode and three amp types and 65-plus effects in bass mode. Simply plug it into your guitar's output, select a memory setting, connect your favorite headphones or earbuds, and you're ready to rock. With features such as authentic stage-class Katana amp sounds, BOSS spatial technology, Bluetooth, 5-hour battery life, and an OLED display, the Katana:Go serves up impressive amp functionality at a fraction of the size. Sweetwater guitarists have found this mini guitar amp to be a phenomenal practice tool in quiet environments. Furthermore, users can connect to the BOSS Tone Studio app for even more tools and an infinite sound library!

Spatial audio and 30 preset sounds
The Katana:Go is more than just a headphone amp; it's a state-of-the-art sonic tool that can open the doors to musical experimentation and tonal discovery. For instance, the Katana:Go features a unique Stage Feel section where BOSS dove into the realms of advanced spatial technology to provide players with a rich, 3D playing experience. Thanks to a range of presets, users can place the amp and backing music in different areas in the soundfield. To take it a step further, the BOSS Tone Studio app lets you personalize that soundfield to your own specifications.

The Katana:Go offers up 30 memory slots that come pre-filled with ready-to-play sounds. You can tweak these sounds, create your own from scratch, or import sounds via Tone Setting memories. At the BOSS Tone Exchange, users can also download Livesets curated by the pros or share sounds with fellow BOSS users around the globe!

Comprehensive possibilities for playing and sharing
Get your computer or mobile device involved, and the Katana:Go becomes a USB audio interface ready to rock in music production. You can even record professional Katana tones in DAW software. If you want to show off your skills, simply connect to social media and video capture apps to share the way you Katana:Go with the world. Not to mention, you can rehearse a full gig run-through with your BOSS Katana: Go's 5-hour battery life and 3-hour charge time. Then, when you're done using your Katana:Go, you can fold down the plug and stow it away in your pocket or gig bag. The BOSS Katana:Go is also compatible with the optional EV-1-WL or FS-1-WL wireless external foot controllers for even more ways to nail your playing experience. And don't forget to grab the optional Katana:Go carry pouch to protect your tones anywhere you go.

BOSS Katana:Go Mini Guitar Headphone Amp Features:
A pocket-sized guitar and bass headphone amp with genuine Katana amp tone
Authentic sounds from the stage-class Katana amp series
Guitar mode offers 10 amps and 85+ effects
Bass mode offers 3 amps and 65+ effects
30 user memories in each mode with ready-to-play sounds
Stage Feel function immerses you in advanced BOSS spatial technology
Connect via Bluetooth to stream music or connect to the BOSS Tone Exchange and BOSS Tone Studio applications
Tone Exchange app offers up an infinite sound library
Tone Studio app lets you edit sounds, organize memories, and practice for YouTube
OLED display, onboard tuner, and onboard controls
5-hour battery life and 3-hour charge time
Record and playback tracks in music production software or your DAW via USB-C cable
Compatible with EV-1-WL or FS-1-WL wireless external foot controllers
Optional carry pouch sold separately

Android Editor
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=jp.co.roland.boss_katana_go_editor

Elantric

Download the manuals for Katana GO and Pocket GT and compare which has the FX you need

Mrchevy

https://youtu.be/UPw-3e_pzqU?si=Fm1dEB_hB8grI5Gj

I just ordered it. Looks to be a Boss Answer to the NU-X Mightyplug Pro. I had that for a short time but returned it because the one feature it had that I really wanted, the ability to load a jam track into the app, then be able to set patch changes during playback, just wouldn't work for me. It appears the Katana Go has that feature also. And the ability to load the backing/jam tracks into the app will hopefully eliminate the Bluetooth audio reliability I have had with my Waza Air headphones. Not a big issue but have experienced dropouts on occasion with them. I love my Waza headphones but this is a pocket size unit you can record on your computer with also. I did the output jack mod to the Waza Air, but this would be so much more convenient. Looks to have the same amps and effects as the Waza Air. Maybe a couple more effects and amp variations. there is a Centa OD in the boost section (Klon Centaur ???), has a CONTOUR adjustment ?, a bit more effects chain options, 2 EQ's plus global EQ. Swwetwater demo sounds great. Shipping says Thursday. One more thing I don't need but will have.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG 50's prototype
Squire classic vibe 60's
Epi LP Modern
Epi SG Custom
Martin acoustic

Princeton chorus 210

GT100
GR-55
Helix LT
Waza Air Headphones
Boomerang III

And, a lot of stuff I DON'T need

Elantric

Quoteone feature it had that I really wanted, the ability to load a jam track into the app, then be able to set patch changes during playback, just wouldn't work for me. It appears the Katana Go has that feature also. And the ability to load the backing/jam tracks into the app

Its identical feature of Boss Pocket GT

( which most complain is buggy
https://www.boss.info/global/products/pocket-gt/
Go to 4:35min

The NUX Mighty Plug Pro feature for auto change presets midsong works, as long as you are using the third party
TUNTORI MIGHTIER AMP editor
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tuntori.mightieramp
QuoteEnhanced Jam Tracks functionality - you can select any audio file on your device, add loop points, preset changes, and other events, and play along with your favorite tracks.

Mrchevy

Quote from: Elantric on March 14, 2024, 04:07:00 PMIts identical feature of Boss Pocket GT

( which most complain is buggy
https://www.boss.info/global/products/pocket-gt/
Go to 4:35min

The NUX Mighty Plug Pro feature for auto change presets midsong works, as long as you are using the third party
TUNTORI MIGHTIER AMP editor
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tuntori.mightieramp

Yes, I had the Mightier app. I just could not get it to work for some reason. Had a Motorola phone and Samsung tablet, couldn't get it to work with either one. Saw enough videos to know it works, but just couldn't get mine to work. Hopefully Boss has worked out any bugs with the sessions section, and the kinda buggy Bluetooth the Waza Air has. I had the pocket GT for a short while and the only minor problem I had with the patch change feature was trying to get it zero'd in to an exact point of change when the change gap was really tight. I sold it to my neighbor since I really wasn't using it much at the time.

On a side note: thinking back, I'm not sure it was the patch change feature with the Mightyplug Pro that I had the issue with, I think it was importing my own backing tracks and audio files into the app that was my issue. I couldn't get them into the app. I still to this day can't figure out why it was such a PITA. Anyway, I've installed the Katana Go app and looked thru it. It does seem to be improved over the Waza Air app. Seems like it would be possible to make the same updates to Waza Air app, but thats just not how Roland/Boss rolls.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG 50's prototype
Squire classic vibe 60's
Epi LP Modern
Epi SG Custom
Martin acoustic

Princeton chorus 210

GT100
GR-55
Helix LT
Waza Air Headphones
Boomerang III

Elantric

It works for recording and USB Audio Playback with USB to iPad

That will be a long overdue feature ( requires USB CLASS COMPLIANT AUDIO

Katana:Go Owners Maunal ( eureka)

TheJLF65

I get my Katana Go tomorrow (hopefully). Any thoughts as to if/when a Katana Go board will be added to the forums? From what I've seen, these things are flying off the shelves. We'll probably have quite a few members that either already have theirs, or will have it by the end of the week, me included.

Mrchevy

Quote from: TheJLF65 on March 18, 2024, 02:31:49 PMI get my Katana Go tomorrow (hopefully). Any thoughts as to if/when a Katana Go board will be added to the forums? From what I've seen, these things are flying off the shelves. We'll probably have quite a few members that either already have theirs, or will have it by the end of the week, me included.

Mine is supposed to be here Thursday
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG 50's prototype
Squire classic vibe 60's
Epi LP Modern
Epi SG Custom
Martin acoustic

Princeton chorus 210

GT100
GR-55
Helix LT
Waza Air Headphones
Boomerang III

TheJLF65

Well, I suppose this answers my question.  ;D

The shipping on mine says today through Thursday, but I'm being hopeful. I usually get lucky on shipping where I live right now. Sometimes, I even get my packages before they say I'm supposed to.

EDIT: Teach me to knock on wood. My package was "delivered" today... no package. There were people home who say they saw and heard nothing, and no package was found. Neighbors claim to know nothing. I'm not getting my amp any time soon. Filing a claim with the retailer...
:'(

Mrchevy

Wahoo, got here a day early and the wife has bell choir tonight and tommorow. Gonna run it thru its paces. Out of the box, it seems decent built. Not like a tank but maybe a mid size pickup. ;)
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG 50's prototype
Squire classic vibe 60's
Epi LP Modern
Epi SG Custom
Martin acoustic

Princeton chorus 210

GT100
GR-55
Helix LT
Waza Air Headphones
Boomerang III

Mrchevy

Quote from: TheJLF65 on March 19, 2024, 11:32:22 AMWell, I suppose this answers my question.  ;D

The shipping on mine says today through Thursday, but I'm being hopeful. I usually get lucky on shipping where I live right now. Sometimes, I even get my packages before they say I'm supposed to.

EDIT: Teach me to knock on wood. My package was "delivered" today... no package. There were people home who say they saw and heard nothing, and no package was found. Neighbors claim to know nothing. I'm not getting my amp any time soon. Filing a claim with the retailer...
:'(

Well that sucks!!! Hope it works out quickly for you
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG 50's prototype
Squire classic vibe 60's
Epi LP Modern
Epi SG Custom
Martin acoustic

Princeton chorus 210

GT100
GR-55
Helix LT
Waza Air Headphones
Boomerang III

TheJLF65

Quote from: Mrchevy on March 20, 2024, 02:56:55 PMWell that sucks!!! Hope it works out quickly for you

Not likely. They're already sold out, so no quick replacement. That's even given that they decide to replace it. They might decide I need to take it up with UPS/USPS. UPS already said that since the USPS took possession of it, they aren't responsible and I have no claim with them. The USPS claim that since the package wasn't insured and no signature was required for delivery, they aren't responsible either and I have no claim with them. Both say to take it up with the retailer... so I'm waiting to hear from them.

Mrchevy

Quote from: TheJLF65 on March 20, 2024, 03:44:29 PMNot likely. They're already sold out, so no quick replacement. That's even given that they decide to replace it. They might decide I need to take it up with UPS/USPS. UPS already said that since the USPS took possession of it, they aren't responsible and I have no claim with them. The USPS claim that since the package wasn't insured and no signature was required for delivery, they aren't responsible either and I have no claim with them. Both say to take it up with the retailer... so I'm waiting to hear from them.

I ordered from Sweetwater. it was shipped UPS and they were suppose to hand off to USPS for final delivery. Once it got to the local UPS hub, I guess they decided to deliver themselves and it came a day early from UPS. I've had issues with USPS supposedly delivering packages, but never actually receive them so I feel your pain. I spent a little time last night with it and will be doing some extensive evaluations over the next few days. I will report my findings for over all usage and comparison to the Waza Air, which I've had since the pandemic. Just a little teaser..... the factory presets sound pretty good. I will do some direct comparison but initially I don't think the spacial feature sounds as good as in the Waza Air. I may have found a little bug in the BTS but need to check further. I will assure all that when I review it, based on first hour of use, the words "game changer" will NOT be used. I already have a couple thoughts on improvements and suggestions.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG 50's prototype
Squire classic vibe 60's
Epi LP Modern
Epi SG Custom
Martin acoustic

Princeton chorus 210

GT100
GR-55
Helix LT
Waza Air Headphones
Boomerang III

Kevin M

It looks like this requires an app to access parameters (at least more practically).  This is convenient, but means you are dependent on continued updates/support for your given phone or tablet.

TheJLF65

First, great news! The post office delivered my amp TODAY. Either they were lying about delivering it yesterday, or (more likely) whomever they delivered it to dropped it back in the outgoing mail and they got the delivery right on the second try. Whatever the case, I'm just happy I got it. I went from depressed to giddy so fast I got whiplash. ;D

Quote from: Kevin M on March 21, 2024, 06:33:41 AMIt looks like this requires an app to access parameters (at least more practically).  This is convenient, but means you are dependent on continued updates/support for your given phone or tablet.

I'll be trying the GO with FxFloorBoard. It works on a number of Katana models, including the Mk 1 and Mk 2. If it doesn't work with the GO, I'm quite capable of modifying it to do so myself. One nice thing about FxFloorBoard - it supports the SneakyAmps.

Mrchevy

Quote from: TheJLF65 on March 21, 2024, 01:13:40 PMFirst, great news! The post office delivered my amp TODAY. Either they were lying about delivering it yesterday, or (more likely) whomever they delivered it to dropped it back in the outgoing mail and they got the delivery right on the second try. Whatever the case, I'm just happy I got it. I went from depressed to giddy so fast I got whiplash. ;D

I'll be trying the GO with FxFloorBoard. It works on a number of Katana models, including the Mk 1 and Mk 2. If it doesn't work with the GO, I'm quite capable of modifying it to do so myself. One nice thing about FxFloorBoard - it supports the SneakyAmps.

I was not aware Gummy had editors for the Katanas. I'd be eager to know if it works with the Go or if you get it to work modding the editor. I'll have to look into the sneaky amp thing. I remember discussions about it a couple of years ago but I never had a katana so didn't pay it much mind. Glad things worked out with the delivery.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG 50's prototype
Squire classic vibe 60's
Epi LP Modern
Epi SG Custom
Martin acoustic

Princeton chorus 210

GT100
GR-55
Helix LT
Waza Air Headphones
Boomerang III

TheJLF65

The app is really up to date, so I might not need to mod it. He might just do that himself (if it's needed). It's not like this was abandoned years ago or something. The last release was just last month.

I haven't seen anything about if the GO has sneaky amps or not, but considering how many models do, odds are pretty good. Everyone is just now getting theirs and playing around. We'll probably find a lot more info about things like if the GO has sneaky amps next week when people have had the chance to try it out.

Here's the page I used to figure this sneaky amps thing.

Mrchevy

So here's where I'm at with it right now.. The tones in this thing, I have to say, dare I say, are amazing. The tones just seem to have a clarity about them. No flubby bass, just really nice definition.

I've now had about an hour or two  with each...... with head phones, into the stereo return of my Fender Princeton Chorus Amp, and the aux in on my M Audio studio monitors. This is with the studio, stage, custom thing turned off. That feature just isn't working for me. I have stated before, I just don't think it's as good as it is in the Waza Air, could also just be my headphones, Senshauser HD pros. I will say that for $119 us, you absolutely can't go wrong buying it. Since I have the Waza Airs I will likely set it up with the monitors as a small home Amp that can get loud, but sounds great at low volume too.

I've had a few minor things with the BTS app. One crash, and a few brain cramps. One thing that's not a bug, but would be a nice firmware function, is to be able to switch back and forth between the SESSION tab and the EDITOR, while the jam track is playing so you can set the guitar level to the jam track in the patch. Currently the audio pauses when switching to the editor. Or maybe a simple patch level setting for each patch assigned to a jam track

It would also be nice to have the studio/stage feature accessible from the editor rather than having to go into settings and select it then make your changes. Kinda a ways to go if you want to change it if you ask me.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG 50's prototype
Squire classic vibe 60's
Epi LP Modern
Epi SG Custom
Martin acoustic

Princeton chorus 210

GT100
GR-55
Helix LT
Waza Air Headphones
Boomerang III

Mrchevy

I have a silly question. I cant seem to connect to my PC with this thing and there doesn't seem to be anything anywhere that specifically addresses connecting to PC for this thing. I may be missing something simple but there doesn't seem to be a BTS for PC for this unit. What I am trying to do is go USB from Katana Go to PC and into Reaper. I want to input the Go into Reaper and use my audio Volt 2 interface for output to monitors like I always do. I know I can connect the Go to the audio interface directly, but via USB seems be alluding me. I cant help but think I'm missing something simple. I can see Katana go in my computers audio setting, but I'm getting nothing in reaper. Is there a driver I need for this thing, I would think it would automatically download and install once plugged in. Google searches turns up little for this thing as far as useful operational tutorials, just tons of "This thing is a game changer" cookie cutter videos that are useless after the first or second video you watch. No one does the deep dive. Influencers say "for audio, I'm going direct to PC via USB for the purpose of this video. Ok, maybe a little info on this please. What am I missing here guys? Palm standing ready to firmly plant into face  ;)

I'm running Window 10 home. I have also been connected to BTS on my Android tablet while trying to do this, but I don't think it's necessary to connecting to PC other than adjusting USB levels.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG 50's prototype
Squire classic vibe 60's
Epi LP Modern
Epi SG Custom
Martin acoustic

Princeton chorus 210

GT100
GR-55
Helix LT
Waza Air Headphones
Boomerang III

Elantric

Katana:GO is USB CLASS COMPLIANT,works with Audacity

to work with Reaper typically requires installing third party ASIO4ALL driver

There are no plans for a Win/Mac Editor, or Win/Mac USB Drivers

These create long term cost burden for the product .

Apparently with Katana:GO,   Boss was targeting  an alternative  to the Fender Mustang Micro - which also lacks a dedicated ASIO driver

Fwiw,  NUX Mighty Plug Pro offers ASIO drivers and Win/Mac/IOS/android Editors and supports Vocal recording using its 3.5mm TRRS Headset/Mic I/O , and third party Cab IR loading
https://www.nuxefx.com/ee8240.html

Mrchevy

ASIO4ALL specifically? I have ASIO drivers on my PC already. Being USB compliant means it should just work, correct?  I'm thinking I'm just missing something simple in the signal path settings. I get no signal on the track meters in reaper so I'm guessing its an input think I'm missing.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG 50's prototype
Squire classic vibe 60's
Epi LP Modern
Epi SG Custom
Martin acoustic

Princeton chorus 210

GT100
GR-55
Helix LT
Waza Air Headphones
Boomerang III

Elantric

Most ASIO drivers are supplied by the Audio interface manufacturer,  and are dedicated for use with that specific device

Asio4all is one of the few  universal third party drivers.

FlexASIO is another type

Details
https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/articles/360003149240-Using-an-ASIO-audio-driver-on-Windows

I dont have a Katana:Go. So unaware how it presents itself in Reaper

Typical process to use USB Audio devices without dedicated ASIO Driver ( like Katana:GO) in Reaper.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Reaper/comments/z1cdgl/usb_microphone_isnt_getting_identified_by_reaper/

And this should be common knowledge , but apparently  many have a gap in thier knowledge base

#1 Newbie mistake for Guitar MFX with Windows PCs - Monitoring Sound
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=33864.0#msg250440

Mrchevy

That makes sense. I will look into that further when I get home tonight and report back. Thanks Steve
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG 50's prototype
Squire classic vibe 60's
Epi LP Modern
Epi SG Custom
Martin acoustic

Princeton chorus 210

GT100
GR-55
Helix LT
Waza Air Headphones
Boomerang III

TheJLF65

I don't know about Windows, but the linux version of Reaper defaults to the currently selected recording device in the volume menu. Since the GO pops up automatically as a valid playback and recording device, it's easy to get working in Reaper. One thing I did notice - there's a HUGE latency between playing the guitar and it recording in Reaper. This is on Reaper since Audacity is close enough to instant that I don't perceive any delay. So if you want to record the GO while monitoring the USB audio instead of listening to headphones plugged into the GO, I suggest recording in Audacity (or similar Windows app that doesn't have the delay Reaper does), then importing the recorded track into Reaper.

I downloaded ASIO4ALL. I'll try it on my Laptop (Windows 10) at some point to see how it goes. Considering the audio device portion of the GO works so well with 4 year-old linux, I don't foresee any issues with it working with ASIO4ALL in windows.

maan108

Hallo! On most of Youtube video I see KatanaGo phone out used for recording. I've an old DAW and (maybe) mine is not USB audio compliant. Please someone can tell me if it advisable link the KATANA GO headphone out to a line input of a Daw or I need some adapter ???