[SOLVED] GP-10 Question about "Connect GK"

Started by retnev, March 13, 2024, 10:43:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

retnev

I am a new GP-10 user and I get the message "Connect GK" on some of the patches.
My GK3 setup works as I use it with Axons and other 13pin midi gear.

What does this message mean ?
Is something broken in the VG-10 or is just a notice.
Some patches dont have this.

Cannot find this message anywhere in the GP-10 manual.
It is probably just a reminder to use the GK also for the patch, but I have to ask regardless.

Thanks

Brak(E)man

There's a setting for input.
GK , normal PU or Auto.
It's most likely on Auto , set it on GK.

But it should not really show this message.
(I'd backup my patches and do a factory reset.)

For me it only shows if I use normal PU ( no GK guitar )
for the patches that uses GK.
swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch

gumtown

The GP-10 "Auto Select" option will not work with a 'non-roland' pickup, the GK-3 pin #9 outputs a specific voltage on the guitar/both/synth selector switch.

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=10534.msg76153#msg76153

Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

retnev

1) I am using an authentic Roland GK3. It is set on GK, and some factory patches still says "connect GK".
2) As mentioned, I am an old hand at midi, but completely new to the GP-10.
3) There is nothing wrong with the GK3 setup as it works perfectly with Axon-100, and VG-8

So the info that it doesnt work with non-GK3 pickups is not relevant. I am using a Roland GK3

retnev

Quote from: Brak(E)man on March 14, 2024, 12:54:06 AMThere's a setting for input.
GK , normal PU or Auto.
It's most likely on Auto , set it on GK.

My GK3 is set on GK NOT auto when I get the message "Connect GK" in the patches.

Brak(E)man

Quote from: retnev on March 14, 2024, 12:20:55 PMMy GK3 is set on GK NOT auto when I get the message "Connect GK" in the patches.

Try a different cable , backup patches do a factory reset, clean the GK input
In that order one by one and testing in between.

Q: Are the patches still working properly? Modeling , synth , Alt tune etc
swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch

retnev

The patches work, both using only the GK setting and the guitar analog.
However there are a few patches that is completely without sound for some reason. they are at the end, around patch 70-onwards, but that might be user space and a misconfiguration.

I tried with two different 13-pin cables. Same result.

Elantric

Thats normal behavior

Review the GP-10 Preset Doc

https://www.boss.info/us/support/by_product/gp-10/owners_manuals/2d2dc855-6dbe-4eca-a951-85257d9bb531/

Any GP-10 Factory  patch which starts with
 "[Gt]xxxx" (presets 71-90)  is designed for GUITAR - and designed for use with the normal 1/4" GUITAR INPUT  only

Patches 91-99 are INIT Blank patches

retnev

That is correct.
However, the problem is the "Connect GK3" message when the GK3 is connected and clearly working.

Elantric

On mine I can use the presets #71-90 for normal pickups  with my GK-3 and GK 13 pin cable. But I must have the short 1/4" to 1/4" guitar cable between my electric guitar 1/4" output  and the 1/4" GK-3 Guitar Input. And GK-3 set to "MIX or GUITAR .If your GK-3 three way switch  is set to SYNTH then no sound on presets 71-99

OR just use one 1/4" guitar cable between my electric guitar 1/4" output  and the 1/4" GUitar Input on GP-10 to use  the presets #71-90 for normal pickups

retnev

Quote from: Elantric on March 14, 2024, 04:43:52 PMOn mine I can use the presets #71-90 for normal pickups  with my GK-3 and GK 13 pin cable. But I must have the short 1/4" to 1/4" guitar cable between my electric guitar 1/4" output  and the 1/4" GK-3 Guitar Input. And GK-3 set to "MIX or GUITAR .If your GK-3 three way switch  is set to SYNTH then no sound on presets 71-99

OR just use one 1/4" guitar cable between my electric guitar 1/4" output  and the 1/4" GUitar Input on GP-10 to use  the presets #71-90 for normal pickups

Thank you very much for that info, but my issue is the "Connect GK" message even though the GK3 is connected and set on GK. Without the guitar pickups connected, the GK patches plays, so there is no problem with the GP10 working with the GK3. It just constantly displays "Connect GK" when the GK3 is properly working and connected. That is obviously an error.

Maybe the firmware in it now expects a GK2 and a GK3 might throw that message. Anyone have evidence of that possibility ?
Anyone have an idea why this happens ?

Elantric

Quote from: retnev on March 14, 2024, 04:48:51 PMThank you very much for that info, but my issue is the "Connect GK" message even though the GK3 is connected and set on GK. Without the guitar pickups connected, the GK patches plays, so there is no problem with the GP10 working with the GK3. It just constantly displays "Connect GK" when the GK3 is properly working and connected. That is obviously an error.

Maybe the firmware in it now expects a GK2 and a GK3 might throw that message. Anyone have evidence of that possibility ?
Anyone have an idea why this happens ?

What is your Guitar type?
What is your GK 13 pickup type?

If its a genuine Roland GK-3 ,

It still could be a faulty GK 13 Cable, specifically Pin#9 which was not used on Axon or VG-8
details
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=5259.0

See GP-10 Owners manual page 13
Settings of the GK Pickups (GK: )
Parameter Explanation
Connect
The GP-10 comes equipped with a function that automatically determines
whether or not a GK connection exists and switches the internal settings
accordingly. This makes it possible for you to use all functions other than a
Modeling/Alternate Tuning (effects, tuner, etc.) when you've connected only
to the GUITAR INPUT.
If using a GK-3  You should ordinarily use AUTO (default).
In cases where the auto-detect function does not operate correctly, (for example, when you
are using a Divided pickup other than the GK-3, Like a GK-2A, Ghost ,RMC Piezo), change the setting.

AUTO The presence of a GK3 connection is detected automatically and the
internal settings are switched accordingly.

OFF Settings appropriate for a GUITAR INPUT connection are always used.

ON Settings appropriate for a GK connection are always used.

Setting Refer to "MEMO: GK settings" (p. 3) and "GK Set Selection for the Patch (Patch:
GK Set)" (p. 11).

retnev

Since I keep on getting questions if I use a GK-3 ,
Here are photos of my GK-3
https://jmp.sh/uVdYugk0[
https://jmp.sh/rnUHZYbc

retnev

My answers in red.

Quote from: Elantric on March 14, 2024, 05:20:42 PMWhat is your Guitar type?
What is your GK 13 pickup type?

Guitar type wont have anything to do with it, but ok, it is a BHM Special.

If its a genuine Roland GK-3 ,

Yes it is a genuine GK3
See the images I attached in previous post.

It still could be a faulty GK 13 Cable,
No, I tried it with another 13 pin authentic Roland cable, still the error. See my previous posts where I stated that.

See GP-20 Owners manual page 13
Settings of the GK Pickups (GK: )

Thanks, I guess you mean GP-10?. I will look at the manual again, but I already went through it before posting here.

Elantric

Try backing up any user presets

Then perform a full GP-10 Factory  Reset
GP-10: Factory Reset (Initialization)
Turn on the GP-10's power.
Press the SYSTEM button repeatedly until "Factory Reset" appears in the display.
Press and release the WRITE button. "ARE YOU SURE ? " appears.
Press WRITE again. "Factory Reset Now executing" appears for about 5 seconds, and then the main screen appears.

If still have problem, Contact Roland /Boss Support

https://www.roland.com/backstage/

retnev

Thank you very much for the to the point instructions. 
I will do that.

retnev

Factory reset  solved the problem.
Dont know what was in there but it was severely botched.
Thanks all for helping.

Elantric

Happy to hear a Reset solved your problem

Every Roland/Boss processer requires Factory Reset, to purge any corrupted memory blocks and restore normal operation - some require this once a year, others more frequently

Always backup your own  user created presets 1st.

Share them here as it might bail you out in the future
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?board=151.0