Gong - A Sprinkling of Clouds

Started by Nobulusprime, March 13, 2024, 12:06:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nobulusprime

I'm off to see the band Gong this Monday coming (along with Ozric Tentacles). I'm not sure if there even any original members in the line up! I don't think Steve Hillage will be there.

This got me listening to the album You and a track called a Sprinkling of Clouds which features the 'glissando' type guitar which was originally played by Hillage or Daevid Allen. So I made a mock up all in one patch with a sequencer for the synths some filtered bass and a lovely simple saw synth. All played live with multiple holds and wave pedals. It's not much like the original but it has the essesnce!

Rolloq

Quote from: Nobulusprime on March 13, 2024, 12:06:15 PMI'm off to see the band Gong this Monday coming (along with Ozric Tentacles). I'm not sure if there even any original members in the line up! I don't think Steve Hillage will be there.

This got me listening to the album You and a track called a Sprinkling of Clouds which features the 'glissando' type guitar which was originally played by Hillage or Daevid Allen. So I made a mock up all in one patch with a sequencer for the synths some filtered bass and a lovely simple saw synth. All played live with multiple holds and wave pedals. It's not much like the original but it has the essesnce!

I  saw them in Stockholm Sweden 10 september 2023 there where no original members but they played two Gong songs You can t kill me and Master builder.

arkieboy

I've seen gong both with Hillage and without, and they're a great act with a good mix of newer material and old classics in both incarnations.

I found this on the inter webs of the last gong gig I went to see - first time I watched it I wondered who the f*ckin' tall chap in the blasted way.  Then I recognised my old boss who I went to the gig with and was stood just in front of me and realised ... ;-)

Main rig: Barden Hexacaster and Brian Moore i2.13 controllers
Boss SY1000/Boss GKC-AD/Boss GM-800/Laney LFR112

Other relevant gear: Line 6 Helix LT, Roland GR-33, Axon AX100 MkII
Oberheim Matrix 6R, Supernova IIR, EMu E5000, Apple Mainstage, Apple Logic, MOTU M4