Firmware Update failing

Started by jjfeenix, March 13, 2024, 08:13:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jjfeenix

I just got a Katana MKII Head, so far I'm very happy with it. Now I am trying to get it hooked up to my WIN10 computer.

I got the drivers downloaded and installed, no problem. But on the System 2 firmware install it's failing when copying the files from "katana2_sys_v200" to the F: drive. I've followed the directions at least 6 times, using 2 different cables and various USB ports on the computer. Every time I get the following error messages.

Note: I do have the Boss Folder in the Start menu, when I select Katana I get the Driver Settings dialog. When I have the USB cable attached I can see the Katana device shown in Devices and Printers (see last picture, speaker icon in the upper left of Driver Settings dialog).

What can I do?

TIA,
JohnS

Elantric

Re-download the Katana MKII Latest Firmware *.zip file
https://www.boss.info/global/support/by_product/katana-head_mk2/updates_drivers/4d633c80-f506-440e-94ce-055aaba48df3/

Install 7-ZIP version for your OS
https://www.7-zip.org/download.html

Launch 7-ZIP and extract all files from
Katana MKII Latest Firmware *.zip file

Do not move folders onto Katana F:/ Drive

--
PROCEDURE FOR THE UPDATE
Caution
You must not rename the extracted files.
Never turn off the KATANA Mk II's power while the update is in progress. Otherwise the system program or the KATANA Mk II itself may be destroyed.
Please install the extracted system program files into your KATANA Mk II according to the following procedure.
Adjust the [ MASTER ] knob to minimum.
* Do not connect the KATANA Mk II and the computer yet.
Turn the POWER switch on while holding down both the [ CH1 ] and [ PANEL ] Tone Setting buttons.
The indicators for the [CH1] ~ [CH4] buttons flash.
Connect the computer to the KATANA Mk II's USB port by a USB cable.
The indicators for the [CH1] through [CH2]/[CH4] buttons stop flashing and stay lighted, and a "BOSS_KTNMK2" drive appears on the computer screen.
Open the BOSS_KTNMK2 icon.
"Removable Disk (*:)" may appear instead of the BOSS_KTNMK2 icon.
Copy (drag and drop) all the files included in the "katana2_sys_v200" folder into the "BOSS_KTNMK2" icon.
* Do not copy the "katana2_sys_v200" folder.
Disconnect the BOSS_KTNMK2 from the computer.
With Windows
Right-click on the "BOSS_KTNMK2" icon in My Computer (or the "Removable Disk (*:)" icon) and execute "Eject."
With macOS
Drag the "BOSS_KTNMK2" icon to the Trush icon in the Dock.
Disconnect the USB cable.
The [PANEL] button flashes.
Press [ PANEL ] button to start the update process.
While the update is in progress, the "EFFECTS" indicators light up.
When the update has finished, the "EFFECTS" indicators slowly flash simultaneously.
Turn the KATANA Mk II power off.
This completes the update operation. The new system program runs at the next startup.
Follow the procedure for verifying the version to verify that the version has been updated.

gumtown

I think the step you are missing is powering the Katana on into "Firmware Update mode".

Make sure the amplifier is turned OFF, then turn the MASTER volume all the way down.

While holding down both the [CH1] and [PANEL] buttons, simultaneously turn on the amp power.
-The LED indicators start flashing, and the amplifier will enter "Update Mode".

When in update mode, a new USB device will appear as a USB memory stick drive, place the unzipped/expanded update files in there,
 then initiate the update process.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

jjfeenix

gumtown:

Thanks for the reply. To be accurate, here's the procedure I'm following:

Adjust the [ MASTER ] knob to minimum. (YES)
* Do not connect the KATANA Mk II and the computer yet. (YES)
Turn the POWER switch on while holding down both the [ CH1 ] and [ PANEL ] Tone Setting buttons. (YES)
The indicators for the [CH1] ~ [CH4] buttons flash. (YES)
Connect the computer to the KATANA Mk II's USB port by a USB cable. (YES)
The indicators for the [CH1] through [CH2]/[CH4] buttons stop flashing and stay lighted, and a "BOSS_KTNMK2" drive appears on the computer screen. (YES)
Open the BOSS_KTNMK2 icon. (YES, a new Explorer Window opens)
"Removable Disk (*:)" may appear instead of the BOSS_KTNMK2 icon. (YES, it's labeled as the F: drive)
Copy (drag and drop) all the files included in the "katana2_sys_v200" folder into the "BOSS_KTNMK2" icon. (YES)
* Do not copy the "katana2_sys_v200" folder. (YES, only copy and pasting/dropping 2 files: KATANAM2.BIN and ROMINFO.TXT)

Right after this I get a dialog stating it's calculating space for 2 files, 4mb and bam error messages about F:/ not available and USB device not recognized.

So here's what I've done in the meantime:

1. Downloaded newest version of 7-Zip and extracted new contents for driver and V2 system files.
2. Bought a new Katana 100 MKII combo amp (thinking there must be something wrong with the Katana Head.)
3. Uninstalled Windows drivers
4. Reinstalled drivers (this time it was automatically installed when connecting to computer with USB cable and turning on amp.)
5. Tried several times to copy System files...no go, same errors!

Windows specs:
Edition   Windows 10 Pro
Version   22H2
Installed on   ‎5/‎10/‎2021
OS build   19045.4170
Experience   Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19054.1000.0

Any more suggestions? If not, I'll have to return the Head and Amp.

Elantric

Verify you are using a USB 2.0 port on computer

Many computer USB ports are connected via an internal HUB, try to use a different USB port - in general if its a desktop Computer, the rear USB 2.0 ports are best

No Boss Windows USB Driver required to update firmware, as the Katana power on sequence:

"while holding down both the [ CH1 ] and [ PANEL ] Tone Setting buttons. (YES)
The indicators for the [CH1] ~ [CH4] buttons flash."

reconfigures Katana Amp to appear as
  USB MASS Storage Class Compliant Device - no USB Driver required ,
Could also perform the Katana upgrade wih the right Android phone and USB-C to USB-B data Cable