No Quarter - First Take...

Started by admin_shawnb, March 12, 2024, 12:23:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

admin_shawnb

Inspired by this discussion:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=36932.0

CTL1 = Reverb
CTL2 = Hold
CTL3 = Mute guitar-to-midi (for playing over downstream synths)

You cannot view this attachment.

Best_Peasant

Sounds excellent.
What are you doing with CTL3?

admin_shawnb

I have another synth downstream with an arpeggiator.  I like to get the arp running, then play over that.  CTL3 stops sending new notes to the arp.

Best_Peasant

This was my first stab at it. Bit of work to do. :)

gumtown

I will take this as a challenge !!
I made a GM-800 patch to play the whole midi file song into the 5 GM-800 partials.
Did not use any wave expansion tones.
The guitar on the GM-800 track is a bit glitchy in volume in places.
All parts played using the attached midi song file via the GM-800 synth only (USB audio out) in one take, straight to an obscenely crushed bit-rate mp3 file.

Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Best_Peasant

Quote from: gumtown on March 12, 2024, 11:49:51 PMI will take this as a challenge !!
I made a GM-800 patch to play the whole midi file song into the 5 GM-800 partials.
Did not use any wave expansion tones.
The guitar on the GM-800 track is a bit glitchy in places.
All parts played by the GM-800 in one take straight to an obscenely crushed mp3 file.

👀 damn, thats decent, how did you do that? Even just to have the drums and bass, they don't sound isolated?
I'm a novice btw

gumtown

Quote from: Best_Peasant on March 13, 2024, 12:19:33 AM👀 damn, thats decent, how did you do that? Even just to have the drums and bass, they don't sound isolated?
I'm a novice btw
Thanks, the composition was a midi song file found on the internet Google search,
I loaded it into Cakewalk D.A.W. and shuffled a few tracks and settings to fit the song into the 5 partials the GM-800 has to playback.
I then selected a few tones that would fit the song, a few tweaks, and a few effects.
Then played the midi song back on the GM-800 USB-Midi while at the same time recording the GM-800 audio stereo output back through the USB into the D.A.W.

Open the midi file in a D.A.W.
 plug the GM-800 USB in and select GM-800 as the midi playback device, set the GM-800 input source to "USB"
in the GM-800 midi, set
part 1 to channel 1
part 2 to channel 2
part 3 to channel 3
part 4 to channel 4
part R to channel 10
the guitar part on channel 1
right hand keyboard on part 2
left hand keyboard on part 3
bass on part 4
drums on part R(hythm)
Hopefully the midi song file should have allocated  midi channels set in it for song playback.

The attached patch has not had anything GK/guitar setup in it,
 so most likely just enable partials 2 and 3, you can spread the tones across various strings if you like.
You could also set the bass partial 4 to just the low E string too, if needed.
Switch off partials 1 and R for guitar use.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Best_Peasant

Thank you. I know what I will be learning this weekend...the above.
Astounding level of knowledge in this group. 👏

admin_shawnb

I took a stab at a guitar tab for this, attached.

Almost all of this song can be thought of as playing root-5 m7 chords up & down the neck.  When it goes down a string, think root-6 m7s.  Only two measures are something else entirely...

Best_Peasant

Spot on, i detune half a step to play on Dm and match the recording, which I think Page achieved in studio with speed change.
Allows you to ring the open A D G strings.

admin_shawnb

Quote from: Best_Peasant on March 17, 2024, 06:00:07 AMSpot on, i detune half a step to play on Dm and match the recording, which I think Page achieved in studio with speed change.
Allows you to ring the open A D G strings.

Good idea.  I've been experimenting going the other way - transposing the low E & A up two full steps in the GM-800.  That way the G# C# is just open strings throughout.