Does full editing require Zenology?

Started by cmscss, March 09, 2024, 11:23:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cmscss

Hi there,

Just trying to wrap my head around full editing of GM-800 sounds, do you need to buy or rent the Zenology app?

Any help much appreciated.

Cheers, Ben

gumtownadmin

Yes, full editing of the GM-800 synth  engine requires building/editing a new tone externally in the Zencore app, then exporting & uploading into the GM-800 via USB memory stick.
Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else.

admin_shawnb

cmscss

Thanks guys, so you can't hear the patches on the GM-800 while building - right?

But you could preview them using the guitar-to-MIDI feature in the GM-800?

It's a bit convoluted but I'm assuming it'd work - is that what you guys do now when building patches?

Also, I saw a few early reviews mentioning worse tracking than the older GK system (even with the converter box) is that true now or was that teething issues?

Cheers and thanks for the help.

Cheers, Ben

cmscss

sorry, just found this: https://youtu.be/kFEmBSqdN6k?si=KCqh45-6fQ55vKRe&t=700 (from 11:40)

Which seems to answer my editing questions.

So re the tracking - if I already have the GK-3 there's no penalty for using the converter box or do we expect this to change as the newer pickup matures. Seems like the GK-3 has way more controls too - right?

gumtown

I have not tried the Zencore editing, but I should assume since the Zencore plugin can play the sounds in real-time,
that you could use the GM-800 guitar to midi to trigger the Zencore synth, and route the Zencore synth audio out of the GM-800 USB to Audio (stereo to main out).
It should give you the same tone as you would hear from the GM-800 internal synth, but with a bit more latency, but that should be OK for auditioning tones.

Not had any issues with the GM-800 tracking, I would say it is the best to date of all previous Roland synths.
Can you point to the review ?
I know of some discussion was trolled on other sites, by some who have never actually tried the GM-800. 
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

arkieboy

What gumtown says.  I edited a couple of dozen sounds using the free month's subscription to the Roland Cloud everyone gets using the MIDI out (via USBj of the GM-800.  You don't have to route the audio back through your GM if you have an external soundcard though.  

GM-800 is the best tracking Roland Guitar Synth I've owned or played, including the GR700, GM70, GR50, GR33, GR20 plus the pitch to MIDI in the SY1000 and the VG99.  Lots round here think the 33 tracks better than the 55, that is the only recent one I haven't played.  

Main rig: Barden Hexacaster and Brian Moore i2.13 controllers
Boss SY1000/Boss GKC-AD/Boss GM-800/Laney LFR112

Other relevant gear: Line 6 Helix LT, Roland GR-33, Axon AX100 MkII
Oberheim Matrix 6R, Supernova IIR, EMu E5000, Apple Mainstage, Apple Logic, MOTU M4

cmscss

@gumtown @arkiwboy This was the review I saw, it goes through various issues but here's the overall take at the end...

[EDIT] Sorry, the time stamp didn't work when I added the link sorry.

But if you're saying it tracks great, then all good.

chrish

Quote from: gumtown on March 10, 2024, 01:02:17 PMI know of some discussion was trolled on other sites, by some who have never actually tried the GM-800.
that wasn't a troll. Those observations and posts were based on GM800 user reviews here and on YouTube by experienced Guitar Romper users of all types.

As far as I can tell, The word is still out on the GM800 Guitar Pitch2Midi to external synths such as a Moog Matriarch.

BROCKSTAR

Quote from: chrish on March 10, 2024, 06:35:13 PMthat wasn't a troll. Those observations and posts were based on GM800 user reviews here and on YouTube by experienced Guitar Romper users of all types.

As far as I can tell, The word is still out on the GM800 Guitar Pitch2Midi to external synths such as a Moog Matriarch.

It's a troll. Especially when all they do is pick out the little bad stuff someone says here and there and re-post it WITHOUT ever trying the gm-800.

Sorry but actually trying something still wins over opinions on the internet or in real life.

cmscss

Quote from: BROCKSTAR on March 10, 2024, 07:12:22 PMSorry but actually trying something still wins over opinions on the internet or in real life.

Well the video shows him playing the GM-800 extensively with both GK-3 and GK-5 pickups - and comparing it to the GR-55.

He also had plenty of great things to say about the GM-800, so it's obvious he wasn't trying to bury the product with zero experience. But I don't know him or if he has an agenda etc.

But as he concludes, he found tracking with the GK-5 pickup wasn't as good as the GK-3. YMMV.

gumtown

Just noticed cmscss that you are a fellow Kiwi in NZ.  ;)
I'm based 160km north of Auckland.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

cmscss

Quote from: gumtown on March 10, 2024, 09:13:42 PMJust noticed cmscss that you are a fellow Kiwi in NZ.  ;)
I'm based 160km north of Auckland.

Sweet as, I'm in Auckland. Cheers

BROCKSTAR

Quote from: cmscss on March 10, 2024, 08:28:47 PMWell the video shows him playing the GM-800 extensively with both GK-3 and GK-5 pickups - and comparing it to the GR-55.

He also had plenty of great things to say about the GM-800, so it's obvious he wasn't trying to bury the product with zero experience. But I don't know him or if he has an agenda etc.

But as he concludes, he found tracking with the GK-5 pickup wasn't as good as the GK-3. YMMV.

We're talking about someone else completely different. The troll thing is a person on another forum causing issues and spreading hate about the gm-800 when they have never even played it in person yet. Just quoting others.

chrish

Quote from: BROCKSTAR on March 10, 2024, 07:12:22 PMIt's a troll. Especially when all they do is pick out the little bad stuff someone says here and there and re-post it WITHOUT ever trying the gm-800.

Sorry but actually trying something still wins over opinions on the internet or in real life.
well of course demoing a product is always the best option if you have $1000 lying around and are wiling to pay return shipping and restocking fee if you don't like it. Many of us don't have access to a music store much less one that carries Guitar Synths. That's why threads like this exist, to gather information to see if a product will fit your needs.

Just because a person has an emotional reaction to  quotes from people who have demoed the GM800 and are having the same tracking issues similar to past Roland GR Rompers doesn't make it a troll.

Experienced players are able to make informed opinions about what gear will suit their needs without trying them.

For example, take a look at the Wilcox Atlantis Hex FX.

An experienced player will see that palm muting techniques aren't going to work with that guitar because of the optical pickup cover over the bridge. String Muting is done on the fret board with finger pressure which works but still not as effective as palm muting.

Is it a troll to point that out? Is a Wilcox Atlantis Hex Fx Fanboy (I'm one) going to over react to that opinion? Why would they? It's just not that important.

admin_shawnb

Folks - might be a good time to let it rest?

We know where everyone stands.  'Nuff said.