CC commands to sy1000 from a cubase midi track

Started by chickenbonez00, February 22, 2024, 10:28:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chickenbonez00

Hi, Im having a hard time understanding how to send midi CC commands from my cubase project to change patches on my sy1000.

On my helix, I'm able to use CC32(setlist) followed by PC(program change) and finally CC69 for setlist change)

However for the SY1000, using the same track, targeted to my sy1000 freezes the unit. Im not sure how to apply the numbers given in the midi implementation doc to access these parameters.

For reference, I found a doc for the helix which helped me out alot. Nout too sure which CC's I should use on the sy1000 as there is MSB/LSB and also program change.

Any help is appreciated, Or if anyone can point me to a document or tutorial somewhere that I can read, that'll be great too. Cheers!

gumtown

You will need Bank select + control change + patch change

patches 1~28 are in the first bank
so patch 01:1 will be B00000 B02000 C000 (this is the midi data  format sent to the receiving device)
    patch 01:2 will be B00000 B02000 C001
which translates to CC0,x CC32,0 PCz   (x = bank number 0 for bank 1, z = patches 1~100 or 1~128 depending on bank size)

in your example you need to put CC0,0 in front of your command string.
if accessing patches in the next bank 25:4 to 49:4 then the first CC will be CC0,1
so patch 26:1 will be B00001 B02000 C000
    patch 26:2 will be B00001 B02000 C001
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

chickenbonez00

Quote from: gumtown on February 22, 2024, 10:35:29 PMYou will need Bank select + control change + patch change

patches 1~28 are in the first bank
so patch 01:1 will be B00000 B02000 C000
which translates to CC00 CC32 PC00

in your example you need to put CC00 in front of your command string.
if accessing patches in the next bank 25:4 to 49:4 then the first CC will be CC01

Thank you! This seems to work when I try to trigger the sy1000 via cubasis on Ipad, however it still hangs when the same data is transferred via cubase on windows. I will continue to mess around, it could be an issue with my usb/midi connection, as I use bluetooth to connect to the ipad.

jozart

I don't think BLE MIDI can send an 8 byte payload, so you may have better luck if you can (somehow) break it up into 2 or 3 messages

gumtown

Quote from: jozart on February 24, 2024, 10:23:52 AMI don't think BLE MIDI can send an 8 byte payload, so you may have better luck if you can (somehow) break it up into 2 or 3 messages
The same midi commands should work the same across any hardware format.

But from my experience..

BLE midi, just like regular cable midi, will take a data block of many messages and send each sequentially and separately (FIFO).
Non-standard, incorrect format data or incomplete data blocks are problems for midi.

BLE midi on Windows (using the regular built in general purpose Bluetooth adapter) just straight out sucks,
 any data format errors will cause the Windows Bluetooth connection to 'bawk' and require un-pair/re-pair and reconnect.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

sixeight

Don't think it is an issue here, but a proper cc message has three bytes, not two.

So you need to send
CC#00 0, PC 0.

Note that CC#0 banksize is 100.

gumtown

Quote from: sixeight on February 24, 2024, 12:42:56 PMDon't think it is an issue here, but a proper cc message has three bytes, not two.

So you need to send
CC#00 0, PC 0.

Note that CC#0 banksize is 100.

Thanks sixeight :-)
I have ammended post #2 with the corrected formatting

Elantric

QuoteBLE midi on Windows (using the regular built in general purpose Bluetooth adapter) just straight out sucks,
 any data format errors will cause the Windows Bluetooth connection to 'bawk' and require un-pair/re-pair and reconnect.

Big reason for the appeal of the CME WIDI Bud USB BLE Adapter

https://www.cme-pro.com/product/widi-bud-pro/

https://www.cme-pro.com/widi-bud-pro/

jozart

Quote from: gumtown on February 24, 2024, 12:24:35 PMThe same midi commands should work the same across any hardware format.

But from my experience..

I don't disagree. I've read the BLE MIDI "spec" and extended some BLE MIDI encoders for Arduino and Espruino.

Add Android to the list of flaky BLE MIDI implementations.

chickenbonez00

Quote from: jozart on February 24, 2024, 10:23:52 AMI don't think BLE MIDI can send an 8 byte payload, so you may have better luck if you can (somehow) break it up into 2 or 3 messages

Ah Im sorry I was not clear in my previous reply. For my connection to cubasis on Ipad, I'm using bluetooth via the widi jack on the sy1000. This method allowed me to trigger the sy1000 patches via CC00,CC32 and PC00 via midi piano roll.

When I use send the same commands via USB MIDI connection from the sy1000 to cubase on my desktop, the sy1000 will freeze as soon as the cursor reaches the first cc command(CC0). Cubase will function normally, but as soon as I disconnect the sy1000, cubase will freeze as well.

I might have used a different cc00 value and that could have been the issue. I've not tried CC00,0 as mentioned by gumtown and sixeight. Will try this over the weekend and update this thread

chickenbonez00

gumtown

Try switching off "midi thru" in the SY-1000, not sure on the Cubase setup, but if it is also sending "thru" you end up with a midi feedback loop as the same data is being passed back and forth.
same can happen with sending program change (P.C.) so try switching off in the SY-1000 "PC Out".

sending midi cc# requires two numbers, the cc# number (0 in this case for selecting bank change) and also a value number between 0 and 127 (0 = bank 0)