IR loader Function in to the Sy1000

Started by paulreed 123, February 20, 2024, 11:45:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulreed 123

Hello. Does anyone know if Boss plans to add an IR loader function to the SY1000 at some point? Thanks in advance.

susbemol

Unfortunately, it's highly unlikely at this stage.

Especially considering how long the SY-1000 has been out for and how slow they are to address even considerable bugs.

Jim Williams

I believe I read somewhere that the SY 1000 is full of features that there is no room for more. the bug fixes most likely it.

Everything from modeling to the real deal, my house looks like a music store.

stub

It most definitely will NOT happen. If you can't get what you're after with the included IR's and EQ, then your best bet would be to get a separate IR loader pedal.

If you really want to keep it all in one box, you can hot-glue an IR loader to the side of the SY-1000.   :)

TC Electronic has an IR loader called Impulse for $140 which seems like a pretty nice option. It loads IR's of up to 200ms in length-- which is relatively good compared to other IR loaders.

aliensporebomb

Try the Flamma FS07 if you absolutely MUST have an IR in stereo on this unit.
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

stub

I got that Flamma FS07 for a hot second but returned it because I was noticing some audio problems with my bass. I didn't see anyone else mention it in reviews, so it might have just been a mismatch with my particular bass. I had the exact same problem with the Mooer Radar, returned that too.

Jim Williams

I have tried 2 other options that worked well. First, I used a Boss IR 200 pedal for just an IR loader and then I put a Tonex pedal in the loop for using amp profiles.

Everything from modeling to the real deal, my house looks like a music store.

stub

Does anyone have a clear understanding of how shorter IR limitations (like 20ms, etc) affect low-end response (say for 5 string bass)? I saw some "buzz" about this on other forums, but I don't recall any actual science about it.

One basic idea is that the very short IR's are truly ONLY EQ and not really adding any other aspects of speaker realism (like lingering cone/cab resonances, etc.) and for things like acoustic guitar IR's you don't get the same kind of resonator behavior you get from longer IRs.

Elantric

Quote from: stub on February 22, 2024, 11:06:40 AMDoes anyone have a clear understanding of how shorter IR limitations (like 20ms, etc) affect low-end response (say for 5 string bass)? I saw some "buzz" about this on other forums, but I don't recall any actual science about it.

One basic idea is that the very short IR's are truly ONLY EQ and not really adding any other aspects of speaker realism (like lingering cone/cab resonances, etc.) and for things like acoustic guitar IR's you don't get the same kind of resonator behavior you get from longer IRs.

I believe most Cab IR products are targeted to guitar players, who generally avoid the dominant low frequency domains of Bass instruments - so a product with glowing reviews from guitar players ( Flamma FS07) may not be suitable for Bass Instruments

Deep dive Cab IR sources of information  is here

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=19918.0

IR WORKSHOP
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=21694.0

aliensporebomb

Today I'd seek out a Tonex probably for more full range audio.  But the Flamma is so cheap if it doesn't work out it's fine.  Now the funny thing is, I can use it wrong - kind of turning it into a weird stereo delay or taking mono signals and stereoizing them.
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

stub

You raise an interesting point about "off label" usage. I have a relatively cheap bass processor (Zoom B2 Four) which has an "AIR" reverb which ain't so special, but when values are cranked, it's quite a nice stereo widener.