Help w/2012 Les Paul Studio Limited

Started by jer_vic, February 18, 2024, 12:32:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jer_vic

Hi All:

I recently purchased a 2012 Les Paul Studio Limited. I got the guitar, soft-ish case, and truss rod adjustment wrench.  The previous owner had the robot tuners switch out, tossed the battery and charger, and gave away the RIP box and cables to a friend (who no longer has them - I checked).

The guitar functions great as a regular Les Paul with an unusual pickup combination.  I wanted to see how much of the robot functionality was left, so I ordered some batteries from Amazon.  When they arrived, I was pleased to see that the green, yellow and red banks all appear to still work properly.

So, my questions:

1) Anyone got a RIP box/cables they want to part with?

2) When the robot electronics are engaged (MCK up) none of the other controls seem to work.  To be clear: pickup selector, piezo blend, pickup volumes and tone knob all do nothing. There does not appear to be any of the piezo pickup blended into the output, either. I believe the piezo (and hex?) pickups still work, because if I tap on them, it creates sound.

Any thoughts? I opened the cavities, but was a little intimidated by what I saw inside.  I gently poked around a bit, looking for loose connections, but haven't really tested thoroughly for a bad solder joint or broken wire....

thanks in advance,

Jer

gumtown

I would like to help, but I know nothing of these, sorry.
Can Gibson spares help in any way ?
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

jer_vic

Quote from: gumtown on February 18, 2024, 04:24:08 PMCan Gibson spares help in any way ?

From Gibson Brands Consumer Service, Feb. 4:
"Unfortunately, we no longer have replacement Robot parts or hardware available."

Brent Flash


Elantric

#4
See Tronical for parts

The Gibson Les Paul Studio Limited shared components  with Dusk Tiger

Email Tronical for verification before ordering
https://www.tronicaltune.net/category/gibson-spare-parts/gibson-dusk-tiger/


Product page
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LPSTLTDFICHP--gibson-les-paul-studio-limited


admin_shawnb

Are you talking about the Dark Fire?  If so, two thoughts. 

First, attempt a system reset, the code 109 thing:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=31317.0

Second, this sounds like a pretty common problem DF users had with the piezo toggle/blend switch back in the day.  If you remove the switch, you'll see black & red wires connected to the moving toggle switch itself.  With lots of use, those snap. 

Lots of us - myself included - had to figure out how to resolder those suckers...
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?msg=238350

After soldering, some folks put a dab of hot glue on the connection to strengthen that connection.

jer_vic

Quote from: Elantric on February 18, 2024, 05:46:42 PMSee Tronical for parts

The Gibson Les Paul Studio Limited shared components  with Dusk Tiger

Email Tronical for verification before ordering
https://www.tronicaltune.net/category/gibson-spare-parts/gibson-dusk-tiger/


Product page
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LPSTLTDFICHP--gibson-les-paul-studio-limited


]

Thanks.  I've seen those pages, and a bunch more on the 2010 Standard Limited and 2012 Studio Limited.  I guess I'm still in the diagnostic phase of the problem.  I've read a few of the threads here about piezo problems, but mined doesn't seem the same - the fact that NONE of the other controls work when the MCK is engaged seems to make my problem unique. I'll email Tronical, maybe they have some ideas.

In terms of the RIP box, I've posted in a few other places, contacted Gibson, contacted Echo Digital Audio (now Echo Test+Measurement), etc. but no luck so far.

jer_vic

#7
Quote from: admin_shawnb on February 18, 2024, 05:55:33 PMAre you talking about the Dark Fire?  If so, two thoughts. 

First, attempt a system reset, the code 109 thing:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=31317.0

Second, this sounds like a pretty common problem DF users had with the piezo toggle/blend switch back in the day.  If you remove the switch, you'll see black & red wires connected to the moving toggle switch itself.  With lots of use, those snap. 

Lots of us - myself included - had to figure out how to resolder those suckers...
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?msg=238350

After soldering, some folks put a dab of hot glue on the connection to strengthen that connection.

No, not a Dark Fire.  I believe the 2010 LP Standard Limited and 2012 LP Studio Limited were successors to that and the Dusk Tiger.  So that would make them 4th generation robot guitars? When I asked Gibson for a manual, they sent me one for the 2010 LP Standard Limited, and said it's the same thing (well, excepting the quality jump from Studio to Standard).

Yes, I need to be braver about poking around in those cavities.  Should be easy enough to extract the pickup selector switch from it's cavity and have a good look.  That would be awesome if it's a simple re-solder/reconnection of a wire.  If not, I'll delve deeper into the main cavity.  Maybe I'll actually figure out how to REALLY use my multimeter....

EDIT:  I have tried the 109 reset, to no avail.  I did change some of the other settings, so it starts in the green bank and not the blue tuning mode, and that when you load the yellow banks, it just loads the sounds not the tuning, and 2 others related to where the piezo signal is routed to on the cable (tip and/or ring).

Elantric

#8
A replacement toggle switch, Piezo <> Mag PU  Blend  output level control with wire harness
 is available

Its the same as Dusk Tiger

May require mating to appropriate JST connector for your guitar

Always take photos First, before diving in Too deep, and breaking a wire connection while debugging

The Toggle switch rotates as a Piezo <> Mag PU  Blend  output level control

QuoteRotary potentiometer which is part of the pickup selector toggle switch controls the blend of the Piezo bridge pickup from full acoustic to full electric

https://www.tronicaltune.net/shop/gibson-spare-parts/gibson-dusk-tiger/gibson-dusk-tiger-toggle-switch/

jer_vic

Quote from: Elantric on February 19, 2024, 10:00:52 AMA replacement toggle switch, Piezo <> Mag PU  Blend  output level control with wire harness
 is available

Its the same as Dusk Tiger

May require mating to appropriate JST connector for your guitar

Always take photos First, before diving in Too deep, and breaking a wire connection while debugging

The Toggle switch rotates as a Piezo <> Mag PU  Blend  output level control

https://www.tronicaltune.net/shop/gibson-spare-parts/gibson-dusk-tiger/gibson-dusk-tiger-toggle-switch/

Thanks.  Breaking a wire while debugging is my biggest fear.  I'll keep digging, see if I can figure it out.

jer_vic

So it turned out that the problem was indeed one of the wires (the red one) on the piezo/pickup selector switch.  I did the Worlds Crappiest Solder/Splice job on it, just to get it working, and now it does.  I may go back in and clean it up (or let a pro do it), but now it seems to be working properly.  At least as best it can without the Robot Tuners.

Thanks to @admin_shawnb and @Elantric for pointing the way.  You are indeed Gods among men.