GK3 height

Started by katmando1964, February 12, 2024, 10:26:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

katmando1964

Hi all first post. I notice on my strats with the gk3 the pickup height (gk3) is too high forcing me to raise my action to where it's so high. Anyone have this same issue and what did you do to fix it? Pickup is as low as it can go. I have looked for a thinner pickguard but cannot find anything thinner.

Brent Flash

Welcome to the group katmando1964!  :)

GuitarBuilder

The elegant solution is to replace your pickguard with one of these:

WD Music Custom Pickguard RR Strat

Of course you could try to cut your own pickguard as well, but the result is not likely to be as good.
"There's no-one left alive, it must be a draw"  Peter Gabriel 1973

Brent Flash

Quote from: katmando1964 on February 12, 2024, 10:26:24 AMHi all first post. I notice on my strats with the gk3 the pickup height (gk3) is too high forcing me to raise my action to where it's so high. Anyone have this same issue and what did you do to fix it? Pickup is as low as it can go. I have looked for a thinner pickguard but cannot find anything thinner.
Just make sure you have the GK3 almost touching the strings, I think the measurement is only 1mm. If you cannot adjust where the GK3 is the correct distance from the strings and the height of the action you desire I would consider shimming the neck so that it will meet your action needs and the proper GK3 distance. I hope this helps!  :)

katmando1964

Do they make a HSH or HSS like that?

IMH1234

In most cases a single ply pick guard should give you enough clearance. If not (and you don't feel confident making a cutout in a pick guard) then as Brent suggests, shim the neck.

Elantric

katmando64

Yes thank you all for the help. I emailed the company and their reply was "It is a custom order $75-150 and I had to send them the original off my guitar...uh ya no. will try the shim method.

katmando64

Quote from: Brent Flash on February 12, 2024, 10:35:28 AMJust make sure you have the GK3 almost touching the strings, I think the measurement is only 1mm. If you cannot adjust where the GK3 is the correct distance from the strings and the height of the action you desire I would consider shimming the neck so that it will meet your action needs and the proper GK3 distance. I hope this helps!  :)

1mm? I do have mine set higher hmm, but because of the radius and the adjustment screw, I can't find that sweet spot where they're all somewhat even in relation to the pickup..it's either the two E's are far away or the G & D are too close..in fact touching. I have 7 GK3's, you'd think I'd have this down by now lol Still can't find double sided tape either..lots of bridge brackets but no tape....and Roland isn't much help. Thanks again Brent :)

pasha811

I cut a pickguard on my Strat Copy and I am a disaster with a Dremel in my hand. Results were encouraging but I had to hide some roughness of the cut I made with some Roland GK space tape. From a distance it's not noticeable.
The suggested link for Custom Pickguard is for an internal inistallation of GK3 but it helps : Easier to enlarge the area of the GK3 pickup to include the screws holes than cutting the whole pickguard yourself.
Listen to my music at :  http://alonetone.com/pasha/