GM-800 Roland Zenology and Expansion packs sounds

Started by Elantric, February 09, 2024, 09:15:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric

GM-800 Roland Cloud Sound List ( work in progress, post your known GM-800 Roland Cloud Sounds, and suspected SRX Sources )
List your GM-800 Roland Cloud Zenology and Expansion packs sounds here

admin_shawnb

If you have purchased & downloaded a Sound Pack or a Wave Expansion for the GM-800, they give you a nice .pdf of the samples & sounds contained.

Attached are the sound lists for:
 - EXZ011 Classic EPs - wave expansion
 - SDZ002 Filigree - sound pack
 - SDZ039 Quiet Cage - sound pack

BROCKSTAR

I don't understand why people are purchasing them though if you have the pro or ultimate subscription?

You load up roland cloud and then in there you can download every single SDZ and ZEZ sound packs and then once you load up zenology plug-in in your DAW you can see them all in your plug-in. You can see what is in each sound pack inside your DAW when you click on one. From there you just re-make each one separately and export to computer and into your gm-800. Time consuming but worth it.

With subscription, each time they release new SDZ and ZEZ you just go download them from roland cloud app, open daw and they are in there and then re-make, export and put in gm-800. Worth $10 a month for me!

However you can't do that with the expansions and those definitely has to be bought in order to work in the gm-800.

admin_shawnb

I don't have - nor do I want - the subscription. 

I'd have probably blown $70+ bucks on it by now.  It's a money leech.

And I am far more interested in the expansion packs.  It would be helpful to know what building blocks are actually contained in there - before having to buy it.

admin_shawnb

I do think they will develop Roland Cloud Connect for the GM-800 at some point.  It will make a lot of actions a whole lot easier.

And, call me experienced paranoid, but once Roland Cloud Connect can talk directly to the GM-800, this can be enforced:
Quote**: Sound Packs, Wave Expansions, and Model Expansions included within membership for use exclusively in ZENOLOGY. To use Sound Packs, Wave Expansions, and Model Expansions with compatible hardware, please purchase the corresponding Lifetime Key.
Source: here.

arkieboy

So here's the sound list for Vintage Keys.

EXZ008 corresponds to SRX-07, some of the wave expansion presets have audio demos here synthmania srx-07

I'm pleased with this expansion.  If you are into your organs, there's plenty here with a really comprehensive set of raw organ waveforms for you to develop programmes with if you have a Roland Cloud sub, but and the presets themselves ain't half bad.  Some nice Electric Pianos too with more variation than you get in the GM-800 as shipped.

For me this is a must-have because it has both Mellotron and Taurus waves - if you're ancient, if you think 1973 was a special year in music or if you want some of the sounds from back then, then this is your squeeze.  I have some presets programmed on these waveforms so drop me a PM for some unadorned patches.

Aside from Moog Taurus there are some nice synth waveforms and programmes here too, but if you are really interested in the synths you need to look to EXZ015.

Main rig: Barden Hexacaster and Brian Moore i2.13 controllers
Boss SY1000/Boss GKC-AD/Boss GM-800/Laney LFR112

Other relevant gear: Line 6 Helix LT, Roland GR-33, Axon AX100 MkII
Oberheim Matrix 6R, Supernova IIR, EMu E5000, Apple Mainstage, Apple Logic, MOTU M4

gumtown

Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

arkieboy

Been following through this YouTube vid, and it seems like EXZ011 is the same as the virtual instrument 'SRX Electric Piano'

Oberheim Matrix 6R, Supernova IIR, EMu E5000, Apple Mainstage, Apple Logic, MOTU M4

gumtown

Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

arkieboy

I also said this about EXZ008 on another thread

Quote from: arkieboy on December 03, 2023, 02:35:10 PMVintage Keys has decent Tron choirs, strings and flutes.  I didn't notice any brass - I don't use them anyway.  Both 3 Violins and String sounds are there and a couple of choirs, but don't expect anything from the original left hand mk2 frames.
(So Strawberry Fields, yes, Bungalo Bill intro, no can do)
If you're serious about Tron then you'll have a dedicated plug-in or several or sample sets so you can get too sniffy about the presets included with the pack, but sit down with Zenology pro, the raw tones, turn down the attack slightly, add a bit of flattering release and a plate reverb to taste and you'll have a functioning M400. 
(You'll have to supply the 12 string guitar and leafy glade yourself  ;D )

gumtown

arkieboy

... and would you believe it, EXZ-005 Studio Sounds is the same as the virtual instrument SRX Studio.  Who would have thought!  :o

gumtown

I did a file binary comparison between a couple of paid GM-800 EXZ expansion packs, and the free ones of the same type in the Roland Fantom 06/07/08 area on Roland Cloud.

99.999% the same except for a 30 byte section near the beginning of the files, which I assume is an equipment type descriptor.

arkieboy

Quote from: gumtown on February 09, 2024, 03:16:25 PM30 byte section near the beginning of the files, which I assume is an equipment type descriptor
Or a hash of your Roland Cloud Account, and Roland's secret salt ... and possibly the product ID too.  Or both that and your suggestion.

The GM-800 will accept EXZ files from only one account.  So it has to be able to recognise your account across different downloads.  It has to be in that 30 bytes somewhere ...

gumtown

Quote from: arkieboy on February 09, 2024, 03:32:46 PMOr a hash of your Roland Cloud Account, and Roland's secret salt ... and possibly the product ID too.  Or both

The GM-800 will accept EXZ files from only one account.  So it has to be able to recognise your account across different downloads.  It has to be in that 30 bytes somewhere ...

But the GM-800 is not "account aware", only that the file is for a GM-800.

arkieboy

Quote from: gumtown on February 09, 2024, 03:37:16 PMBut the GM-800 is not "account aware", only that the file is for a GM-800.
It says somewhere that you can only load files from one account, and there are special functions for erasing an account from a machine.

In the GM-800 reference manual on page 19 it does mention that 'if its the first time to install data, a screen appears that asks you to register the user license', and on page 19 of the parameter guide it says that an option to remove the installed license is available in the factory reset parameters if a sound pack or wave expansion is installed.

I assume this to mean that there is a public key and encryption routines in the GM-800 that finds your account ID in those 30 bytes.

admin_shawnb

Quote from: gumtown on February 09, 2024, 01:52:01 PMEXZ-005 STUDIO SOUNDS

Thanks for sharing that...  That expansion set looks pretty good.  The basics.

arkieboy

Quote from: admin_shawnb on February 10, 2024, 10:50:06 AMThanks for sharing that...  That expansion set looks pretty good.  The basics.
On my one-month free trial period I remember really rating the Studio pack.  It has a fair few guitar sounds which I find useless, but the other sounds were really usable.  I was particularly impressed with the choirs.

gumtown

arkieboy

Unusually, the soundcloud demo has snippets of each patch.  That's quite a nice collection of breathy pads; normally with the sound banks there are a couple of sounds that feel usable, and quite a lot that don't (ehem) speak to me. I could imagine using all of these ...

https://www.roland.com/ca/products/rc_sdz072_gothic_choirs/

gumtown

WOW !! (to put it wholesomely) 

The WORLD INSTRUMENTS expansion pack has some really good samples and tones !!
Some of the tones are out of this world, I think this pack has the largest PCM sample library size, and has 256 user tones.
Quite expansive, and tasty !!

The only gripe, is a few looping samples don't use time-stretching and the looping rate changes according to the note, Argh !!
But over all, a very good expansion pack to get, it inspires a lot of creativity..  ;)