GR 55 PATCH LOADING WITH MIDI CONTROLLER

Started by tommyboi, February 08, 2024, 06:24:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tommyboi

Hi, First Post , sorry for beginner questions pretty new to this Midi Controller and programme's. I have a GR 55 and a Fender / Roland GC - 1 Strat. Is it as simple as buying a Yamaha MD-BT01 or equivalent and downloading an App like Midi Commander to my Samsung Tablet and I can control and call up whatever User Patches in need on a live stage setting from the screen. Thanks for your help again sorry Im at the kindergarden stage,
Thanks Tom

Brent Flash

Elantric

Must connect GR-55 Using 5 pin MIDI

Recent Androids can connect to CME WIDI devices wirelessly and use MIDI COMMANDER app to change GR-55 patches already residing in GR-55

common MIDI CONTROL DETAILS HERE
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=2975.0

MIDI COMMANDER
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=it.bordero.midicontroller

CME WIDI MASTER
https://www.cme-pro.com/widi-master/

Search Google PLAY store for the beta GR-55 EDITOR

Create and organize patches on the go

GR-55 Editor is an iOS/Android/web app for use with the Roland GR-55 Guitar Synthesizer. Switch patches on the fly, easily tweak parameters in the active patch, or even edit assigns—all from a convenient touchs

You can use a wired or wireless MIDI connection. For the most convenient experience, connect the GR-55 to a Bluetooth MIDI adapter such as the Yamaha MD-BT01 or CME WIDI Master.

DrEcosse

I've got a Samsung S23 Ultra and connected my GR55 via an M-Audio Uno and USB OTG adapter. I already had MIDI Commander installed, which loaded normally.

As soon as I plugged the Uno into my phone via the OTG adapter, the program crashed and said there was an error. I was gutted,  since I wanted this to change patches during my playlist, one or two mid-song!

The developer says he can't fix bugs! Is the MIDI Commander app the only one available? On paper, this was IDEAL!

gumtown

Quote from: DrEcosse on February 15, 2024, 11:34:27 AMI've got a Samsung S23 Ultra and connected my GR55 via an M-Audio Uno and USB OTG adapter. I already had MIDI Commander installed, which loaded normally.

As soon as I plugged the Uno into my phone via the OTG adapter, the program crashed and said there was an error. I was gutted,  since I wanted this to change patches during my playlist, one or two mid-song!

The developer says he can't fix bugs! Is the MIDI Commander app the only one available? On paper, this was IDEAL!

Have you tried connecting the midi device first, and then starting the Midi Commander app after.
The go to the midi commander settings menu (top right) and select/setup the midi device.

An alternative is to connect a Bluetooth midi device to your GR-55 (CME Widi Master for example)
 and use te BLE midi in the Midi Commander app for a wireless connection.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Elantric

Skip the Uno

This works with Android phones and iPad Pro with USB-C

Lekato USB-C MIDI ADAPTER
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B09KZ3X59K?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

DrEcosse

@gumtown Yes, I have tried all connections options and it fails every time. I've looked at CME Widi Master but I'm happy enough with my existing MIDI cabling.

@Elantric The Uno works with the my phone for MIDI control. It just doesn't work with MIDI Commander (MC). Will the Lekato adapter definitely work with MC?

HecticArt

Android can cause a little trouble depending on the update version that you have.

I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab 8 & use Set List Maker to control my GR-55 and Helix. I use an M-Audio Midisport Uno.
I purchased a 2nd Midisport Uno to leave at practice to make set-up faster and have a spare.

A year ago, shortly after getting the second Midisport, Samsung released the update from Android 12 to Android 13, and they broke Midi in some ways.
While the newer Midisport Uno would not work with Android 13 the old Midisport still worked.

My point is that the compatibility of your USB interface may be dependent on your OS version and software that you're using.

The Set List Maker forum listed the Midisport as a compatible device. The developer confirmed the issue was the Android 13 update and the newer version of the Midisport. (Nice guy. He went out of his way to check my error logs and do some hardware research.)

So if you're having issues with your setup, you may want to see if you can do some research to find out if your OS, interface, and device are known to work well together.

As fate would have it, my tablet did an update last week and now both of my Midisports work again, so it looks like Android/Samsung fixed the compatibility issues for my rig.     

gumtown

Phones and old tablets are cheap enough to have one dedicated to the one task as midi controller.
 And if it works well as is, don't update it ever again.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

HecticArt

Agreed, Gumtown.

After the update to Droid 13, I figured that I didn't have anything else to lose with that tablet. It still worked, so I could ride it out for a while and get a new one a little later if necessary. Fortunately, they finally patched my tablet.

DrEcosse

Thanks for the feedback.
@HecticArt My M-Audio Uno is a MidiSport too. Do you change patches on the GR55 and/or Helix with Set List Maker, as it doesn't sound like it does?

HecticArt

I do change patches using Set List Maker.
That was the main reason I got it.
I have chords and lyrics in there too. I have fun trying to get my guitar to sound faithful to the original songs so I have a LOT of patches. More than I probably need, especially to change between songs while playing live. With Set List Maker, it's very easy to quickly arrange your set list and then you don't need to spend any time stomping on pedals trying to find the right sound.

Once you get the basics down, it's a very intuitive app.
It's worth checking out to see if it will cover your needs. It's not expensive either.

DrEcosse

@HecticArt I'm only interested in MIDI control ONLY. All other functionality of SLM is useless for me.

I use OnSong on an iPad Pro for set lists and other controls. I already use a bluetooth pedal for controlling my set list, but I've not tried plugging my Uno in to test its MIDI features. So, I'll experiment with this tomorrow. That would save using a separate device for patch changes and these would be integrated into the songs themselves.

Elantric

Most M-Audio UNO MIDISports suffer ground loop NOISE  problem, due to lack of optocoupler on MIDI INPUT - may corrupt MIDI Communication

Not recommended

Details

gumtown

The reason there is only one opto isolator is because the midi input port of the connected device also 'should' have an opto isolator,
 making the isolation both ways.
But, there can be an issue with the ground wiring for the midi adapter shield, the midi out shield should be connected at the adapter but not at the 5 pin DIN plug end.
The midi in shield should be connected at the 5 pin DIN plug at pin 2, but not connected at the midi adapter device.

Possibly the UNO has the shield for both the in and out connected in the midi adapter and the two plugs and creating a ground connection thru.

DrEcosse

Thanks for the info. I've never had any issues with the Uno, as I use it with my Line 6 M13 and also as input to Sibelius and Midi-Ox on my PC.

HecticArt

Quote from: DrEcosse on February 16, 2024, 03:10:17 PM@HecticArt I'm only interested in MIDI control ONLY. All other functionality of SLM is useless for me.

I use OnSong on an iPad Pro for set lists and other controls. I already use a bluetooth pedal for controlling my set list, but I've not tried plugging my Uno in to test its MIDI features. So, I'll experiment with this tomorrow. That would save using a separate device for patch changes and these would be integrated into the songs themselves.
Sounds good DrE. I mentioned my setup specifically because I know that there can be glitches with certain combinations of tablets, operating systems, and USB interfaces. An interface known to work with with your equipment may have issues for something as simple as an OS update. Any way that you can troubleshoot your individual components to isolate the glitch may be helpful.

whippinpost91850

Quote from: HecticArt on February 16, 2024, 10:46:53 AMI do change patches using Set List Maker.
That was the main reason I got it.
I have chords and lyrics in there too. I have fun trying to get my guitar to sound faithful to the original songs so I have a LOT of patches. More than I probably need, especially to change between songs while playing live. With Set List Maker, it's very easy to quickly arrange your set list and then you don't need to spend any time stomping on pedals trying to find the right sound.

Once you get the basics down, it's a very intuitive app.
It's worth checking out to see if it will cover your needs. It's not expensive either.
Completely agree about SetList Maker, works awesome for setting up set lists and choosing patches
I have Lyrics and notes setup as well

DrEcosse

@HecticArt All sorted! I only needed to change the Android Midi Drivers setting to ON and then choose the Uno from the dropdown menu. It works a treat!
Also FYI: I have the iPad Pro up and running and able to change everything as expected. I can only have 128 out of the 297 available USER patches, so off to have a play with GR-55 Librarian and download a few Artist Patches!🎸😉

HecticArt

Congrats DrE! Glad that you're up and running!

Good luck with your iPad. I haven't tried using mine with my music stuff yet.