Stuck notes when using a GK splitter

Started by Nobulusprime, February 05, 2024, 01:48:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nobulusprime

So I've been using the GM800 for a while now and I'm generally very impressed with it, however...

When I use the GM800 with the SY1000 using Codesmart's GX2 splitter I get quite a lot of stuck notes that I don't get when using the GM800 (via the GKAD) on its own.

It's not an issue I can solve using low the velocity cut on the GM800 either, well at least making it unplayable. I'm guessing that the extra background noise a splitter creates  is being detected by the GK800 as a note on event that won't stop until you retrigger that string...

Has anyone else experienced this issue using a splitter such as a US20?

It's definitely more prominent in guitar mode than bass mode. And it only affects tones that have are meant to have long sustains such as synth leads, brass instruments & woodwinds etc

admin_shawnb

My experience so far with the GM-800 & stuck notes is that it's.... the cable. 

I'd clean all cable ends in the path.  I'd also try swapping the splitter outputs to see if that makes a difference (i.e., take the feed to the SY and put it in the GM & vice-versa).  Try new cables, etc.

I find that the slightest funkiness in the cable causes hung notes.  Even a cable that works fine for the SY-1000 - what might add a little grit & character to the SY causes tracking issues on the GM-800.

IMO, serial GK is looking more & more appealing... 

gumtownadmin

I was having exactly the same problem yesterday, mounting the SY-1000, GM-800, GKC-AD, GX-2 to a pedal board.
Some things I found.

The GX-2 seems to be affected in this configuration, so I removed it and now use a d.i.y splitter cable.

Was trying to share/daisy-chain power supplies, the GKC-AD was noisy unless using only its own power supply (could be the case for the GX-2 as well).

The only noise at the moment is from the board not being grounded while using only headphones, I will add a switched ground from my mains input plug to the chassis of the units on the board.

The residual noise I have now is manageable, and with the SY-1000 + GR-55 combo, there was no noise,
 so I assume it is my own fault by using a home made GK Serial cable (200mm/6 inches long) of not good enough quality shielding.
If Boss made a very short TRS patch lead, I would buy it.
Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else.

Nobulusprime

It's definitely an issue with the GX-2 and the GKAD or the GM800. I've tried a number of cables and the patch cables are From CodeSmart and are really good.

Even if the SY1K isn't plugged in and the GX-2 on its own PSU it still does it.

Which DIY splitter are you using?

Elantric

admin_shawnb

I've been using a US-20.  One output to the SY-1000, one to the GKC-AD/GM-800.

BROCKSTAR

I'm using gk-5 pickup and gm-800 and sy-1000 together with the GKC-DA box and no stuck notes for me.

However when I first got the gm-800, i had a gk-2a and an unbranded 13-pin cable and the gkc-ad box and i was getting stuck notes all over and then i changed the cable to a roland one and it worked fine after, but then i switched over to the new gk-5 pickup etc..

Nobulusprime

Quote from: BROCKSTAR on February 06, 2024, 04:36:40 PMI'm using gk-5 pickup and gm-800 and sy-1000 together with the GKC-DA box and no stuck notes for me.

However when I first got the gm-800, i had a gk-2a and an unbranded 13-pin cable and the gkc-ad box and i was getting stuck notes all over and then i changed the cable to a roland one and it worked fine after, but then i switched over to the new gk-5 pickup etc..

It's all good for me with the GKC AD the problem only happens when I use the GX-2 even if the SY1000 isn't connected but obviously the main point of the GX-2 is to have the SY1000 connected! I've tried new cables separate PSUs etc etc but it makes no difference

As for the Roland GKP-2 splitter cable a. It's very pricey for a splitter cable @ over £90 and b. They seem to be as rare as rocking horse droppings... can't find one in Europe

Is there a good quality non Roland one anywhere?

Elantric

Quote from: Nobulusprime on February 07, 2024, 12:19:48 PMAs for the Roland GKP-2 splitter cable a. It's very pricey for a splitter cable @ over £90 and b. They seem to be as rare as rocking horse droppings... can't find one in Europe

Is there a good quality non Roland one anywhere?

Many here build one with parts and a soldering iron
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=36814.0#msg270158

gumtown

Here is my DIY GK splitter, you could get a regular GK 13 cable and cut it in half, then fit a GK socket into a small box and solder wires.
Looks a bit rough inside, but it works great !

Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

whippinpost91850

Nobulusprime

Quote from: gumtown on February 07, 2024, 01:28:22 PMHere is my DIY GK splitter, you could get a regular GK 13 cable and cut it in half, then fit a GK socket into a small box and solder wires.
Looks a bit rough inside, but it works great !

OK, you've inspired me! & I think I've got everything I need to do this. I'm doing a guitar wiring job at the minute, so I'll add this in whilst I'm in the mood. It'll save £90 and from what I can gather the GKP-2 is discontinued anyway.

Elantric

IMPORTANT - CONNECT THE CABLE SHIELDS TO THE LARGE CIRCULAR DIN SHELL AT EACH CONNECTION
Verify on B Output ,

* Insert Diodes on S1, S2 switch connections  on Pins 10, 11

* Do not connect DC Power pins 12, 13

DIY GK 13 Y SPLITTER CABLE
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=36814.0#msg270158

gumtown

A simple ohm meter or continuity checker is required to match the pin wiring.
To connect a test lead to the socket pins, just strip back a bit of wire to poke in the socket pins and wrap the other stripped end around a test lead probe.
Don't for get the shield wires must connect to the GK socket outer shield, which could be considered to be pin 14 (and to the box if it is metal)
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Nobulusprime

Great stuff - I assume your socket was a PCB mount like mine? Fiddly!  :D

gumtown

gumbo

Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...

Nobulusprime

So as it turned out I managed to stop the stuck notes by having a dedicated PSU to the GX-2 i.e. no daisy chaining. Daisy chaining the GM800, Sy1000 and GKAD was fine but not for the GX-2.

I'll still make the splitter but there's no rush anymore :)

Elantric

Quote from: Nobulusprime on February 09, 2024, 02:27:32 PMSo as it turned out I managed to stop the stuck notes by having a dedicated PSU to the GX-2 i.e. no daisy chaining. Daisy chaining the GM800, Sy1000 and GKAD was fine but not for the GX-2.

Good to know

Remember UNIT A GK Processor must power your GK 13 Guitar and the in between GK 13 adpater , A/B Switch , Sub frequency  filter, etc, , and each GK 13 Processor has unique finite avaliable  DC Current to power all connected GK 13  devices

kevorkian

Quote from: Nobulusprime on February 09, 2024, 02:27:32 PMSo as it turned out I managed to stop the stuck notes by having a dedicated PSU to the GX-2 i.e. no daisy chaining. Daisy chaining the GM800, Sy1000 and GKAD was fine but not for the GX-2.

I've been pondering powering the GM-800, SY-1000 and GX-2 (which I haven't been using with both units yet, for no smart reason) via a Strymon Zuma. The outputs are 500mA but I figured some current doubling cables may do the trick but I need to do more research around the Amp draw.

CodeSmart

Making the power circuit for the GX-2 was challenge because it allows double the current compared to a Roland/Boss unit.

Yes, agree to what's been learned.
You should want to use a separate PSU for the Primova GX-2, at least when the other units have digital components.

Whereas most Boss/Roland 9V-to-dual rail +7V/-7V internal converters are switched, the GX-2 use a good linear voltage regulator (TPS7A47x) for the upper rail (+7V).
Apparently incoming noise may spill over.

Sorry, that's the way it is.

But I got more gear than I need...and I like it!

gumbo

Around a decade ago (at least) I put all the daisy-chain leads in the bin, and bought two of these things...never looked back...

https://www.swamp.net.au/swamp-dc-tank-guitar-effect-pedal-mini-power-station-9v

...equally useful units like this are available around the Globe...this just happens to be the cheapest in Oz, and (touch wood!) has never given me any problems.. ;D

I have used these to power ALL sorts of 9V stuff over the years...

Cheers,
Peter
Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...