Any old speakers will do?

Started by pacemaker1000, January 30, 2024, 12:44:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pacemaker1000

Home only player, likes playing along to music tracks and sound of guitar "in" the mix apposed to coming direct from guitar amp.
Studio monitors seem the way to go but do I really need FRFR?

Elantric

Depends on your budget. And music genre you are trying to pursue and if you plan to perform with an ensemble, or simply play music at home .

And volume

Insert a mixer to your existing home stereo

Or powered near field monitors,  or Klipsch Powered Speakers

Lately I play a Boss ME-90 with Bluetooth module into a pair of JBL Powered studio monitors , jamming to Youtube songs on my phone,  wirelessly Bluetooth Audio feed to the ME-90;

gumtown

Full Range Flat Response is ideal for high fidelity reproduction of the sound, studio monitors are the best,
 but you can use some good 2 or 3 way old-school home stereo speakers.
A lot of home sound reproduction systems today seem to comprise of a thumping subwoofer combo'ed up with a small piezo tweeter with a very scooped mid range.
But you can find some OK and cheap bookshelf systems with Aux input, all you need is a small mixer to blend in the music tracks and your guitar.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

pacemaker1000

Home only use with sims and modeller.
I suppose near field monitors not too loud would be good. Be nice to have some bass too
Although I have nothing I need to be right for gigging and using house pa like most who use these do
Looking to spend 100-200 probably on Amazon
Shouldn't have sold these years ago. They even had a built in mixer 🤦🏼�♂️

IMH1234

Quote from: pacemaker1000 on January 30, 2024, 12:44:36 PMHome only player, likes playing along to music tracks and sound of guitar "in" the mix apposed to coming direct from guitar amp.
Studio monitors seem the way to go but do I really need FRFR?

A someone who has the luxury or working with top end studio monitors in a treated room I am completely sold on the value of great monitoring. But, and it is a big but - for most home players there are better options, especially compared to budget studio monitors in a typical home environment which to be honest often end up sounding sound worse in an untreated space than plugging into a similarly priced domestic hi-fi or TV soundbar.

If your aim is to play along with tracks then there are a bunch of dedicated tabletop amps deigned to do exactly this and from what I have heard, many of these sound great, are cost effective and work well at home listening levels. If you want more flexibility, maybe to do some basic recording then budget monitors may be the way to go but beware, it is a slippery slope and before long you will be dedicating rooms to your hobby, adding sound treatment, mixers and all sorts of other related gear.