Adjust output level of direct guitar output

Started by justinmorell, January 27, 2024, 12:35:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

justinmorell

Is there a way to adjust and/or turn off the signal that is sent to the direct guitar output on the back of the VG-99? Or is it always hard wired to the input that it sits next to?
justin

GR-55, VG-99

Elantric

Normal Guitar level is explained - search the PDF manual

justinmorell

Of course that's the first thing I did.  A search of "direct" gives me all sorts of ways in which the "direct" level of various effects can be mixed in.  A search of "normal" or "normal guitar" or "normal pu" tells me many ways in which the signal that is sent via the GK cable can be blended, and ways in which the "guitar in" from the VG-99 can be mixed in, but I cannot find anything that tells me if I can adjust the output or the volume level of the normal pickup, as it is sent directly into the "guitar in" jack can be adjusted via the "guitar out" jack.  Neither can I find any setting in any menu, so far, that seems to adjust this.  Neither have I been able to find any thread in the forum that explains this, though I suspect there is one somewhere——but it isn't always easy to know how/what to search for, specifically.  That's why I'm asking the question here!  It's not exactly an easy thing to figure out when you're new the to the VG-99.

Perhaps my question is not appropriate for the forum.  If that's the case, I apologize and will just keep scrolling through menus.
justin

GR-55, VG-99

Brent Flash

Quote from: justinmorell on January 27, 2024, 12:35:43 PMIs there a way to adjust and/or turn off the signal that is sent to the direct guitar output on the back of the VG-99? Or is it always hard wired to the input that it sits next to?
If you look in the back of the user manual on page 183 there is a schematic of the signal flow that shows the guitar input and output and how it is connected to each other. I am trying to remember how it works in real life so this may not be absolutely correct...If you have something plugged into the VG "guitar input" and the GK setting is set to "auto" there should be a signal present at the guitar output but not the other outputs on the VG unless you raise the "normal PU" level in the "COSM Guitar" section. If you have the guitar input on the GK guitar in plugged into your guitar the same should happen. So the only way to not have a signal at the "VG guitar output" is to not have something plugged into either guitar input (the GK INPUT or the VG INPUT) with the pickup volume up. If you have the normal pickup volume on the guitar that is plugged in off, no sound will come out of the "VG guitar" out jack.

Brent Flash

Quote from: justinmorell on January 27, 2024, 12:35:43 PMIs there a way to adjust and/or turn off the signal that is sent to the direct guitar output on the back of the VG-99? Or is it always hard wired to the input that it sits next to?
If you want to use a normal guitar without a GK pickup you can plug it into the VG "Guitar in" then go to "System/GK/GK Connect and turn it to off. This will connect either the "GK guitar in" or the "VG guitar in" direct to the FX in the VG-99. If you want to play two guitar through the VG one with GK and one without you would turn the "GK Connect" to ON. Note: If you use "GK Connect" set to ON the tuner will not work on the regular guitar but it you set the "GK Connect" to off the tuner will work on the regular guitar. Hope this info helps. Let me know if you have more questions.

justinmorell

Thank you Brent.  I think I'm following that, but I will have to spend some time trying it out to see if I really am understanding correctly.  Ideally, I would like to be able to send the "normal" guitar into the GK, and take it's signal directly out via the guitar out jack, but with the ability to essentially mute its signal via the press of a control switch, leaving only the GK pickup/cosm sound(s).  I know I can send the dry normal pickup through one of the two effect chains, but that will mean that I cannot use COSM sounds A and B with their own independent effects that do not also affect my incoming normal pickup sound.
justin

GR-55, VG-99

Brent Flash

Quote from: justinmorell on January 27, 2024, 05:56:12 PMThank you Brent.  I think I'm following that, but I will have to spend some time trying it out to see if I really am understanding correctly.  Ideally, I would like to be able to send the "normal" guitar into the GK, and take it's signal directly out via the guitar out jack, but with the ability to essentially mute its signal via the press of a control switch, leaving only the GK pickup/cosm sound(s).  I know I can send the dry normal pickup through one of the two effect chains, but that will mean that I cannot use COSM sounds A and B with their own independent effects that do not also affect my incoming normal pickup sound.
Maybe if you tell us what you are using and how it is connected we may have some suggestions. Right now my suggestion is just turn your pickup volume down and nothing will come out the guitar out of the VG. See... I don't know what you are doing with the guitar out so maybe I just don't understand the setup.
Another reason I don't understand is I never use regular guitar amps anymore with the VG-99 around. I use them when I don't have one but I play too much stuff with alternate tunings that I just can't do without the VG because I will not buy that many guitars to have them sit there tuned to what I need! LOL

Elantric

I use the the GK three way "GUITAR/MIX/SYNTH" switch , which mutes the normal pickups in the Synth position

justinmorell

Quote from: Brent Flash on January 27, 2024, 06:34:45 PMMaybe if you tell us what you are using and how it is connected we may have some suggestions.
Sure.  Here's what I have in mind:

I want to be able to set the VG-99 COSM sounds for alternate tunings, and I want to be able to switch from my normal pickups to the alternate tunings seamlessly, with the push of a foot switch, without any audible gap in sound.  I like the sound of the normal pickups and will use those most of the time, and need them completely off when I turn on the alternate tuning.  Ideally, I would like to be able to use both COSM channels, complete with both effects chains, and not have my normal pickups affected at all by any of the VG-99 effect chain.  I have a separate pedalboard that I use to affect the normal guitar sounds, and would simply want to run that into the "guitar in" on the VG-99, and then take the output at the "guitar out", but be able to silence it when needed.

I've looked at the diagram of the signal routing and see that where the guitar in and out paths are, there's a switch that indicates it might be possible to switch on and off the "guitar out".

I should also mention that there will be times I use the VG-99 for other sounds as well, sometimes mixed in with the normal guitar, etc.  However, these seem easy enough to do with the routing I know is possible.  It's the switching of the guitar out jack that I haven't figured out (though I should say, Brent, that I still need to go over your last posts with the VG-99 in front of me to follow your logic).

Many thanks.
justin

GR-55, VG-99

Elantric

QuoteI want to be able to set the VG-99 COSM sounds for alternate tunings, and I want to be able to switch from my normal pickups to the alternate tunings seamlessly, with the push of a foot switch, without any audible gap in sound

Most accomplish that with a VG-99 patch change, one patch has Normal guitar, and other patch has COSM Alt Tuning

Other options

I used a Boss LS-2 Line Selector

Feed VG-99 Normal Guitar Out into Loop Return #1

Feed VG-99 COSM Guitar Left Mono Out into Loop Return #2

A/B switch between normal guitar or COSM guitar
https://www.boss.info/global/products/ls-2/

Brent Flash

Quote from: justinmorell on January 28, 2024, 08:55:10 AMI want to be able to set the VG-99 COSM sounds for alternate tunings, and I want to be able to switch from my normal pickups to the alternate tunings seamlessly, with the push of a foot switch, without any audible gap in sound.  I like the sound of the normal pickups and will use those most of the time, and need them completely off when I turn on the alternate tuning.  Ideally, I would like to be able to use both COSM channels, complete with both effects chains, and not have my normal pickups affected at all by any of the VG-99 effect chain.  I have a separate pedalboard that I use to affect the normal guitar sounds, and would simply want to run that into the "guitar in" on the VG-99, and then take the output at the "guitar out", but be able to silence it when needed.
What are you using to amplify the VG-99 and what are you using to amplify your regular rig? Also do you have an FC-300 to control the VG-99?
I have used the VG for live performance a number of years just because it can give me the alternate tuning at the push of a button. An example would be playing Hotel California where I would play the intro 12 string capoed at the 7th fret then switch to the harmony guitars (playing both parts) that come in after the intro and then go to lead tone for the leads and outro. I am attaching a snippet of a live performance where I do this with the VG-99 only and using in ears and monitors for myself and the band to hear, then sent to FOH for the PA.(outro not include because it is just me and the other guitarist playing the harmony  outro and I am using a none alternate tuning patch) By the way the patches are here available for download in the VG-99 patch section if you are interested.