Fishman TP and Roland XV

Started by jmooremtb, January 25, 2024, 02:43:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmooremtb

Hello,

I am trying to get started with layering guitar tones and synth tones. I have a Fishman Triple Play Wireless on a Godin guitar and a Roland XV 2020. I  understand that I should be able to plug the FTP dongle into the USB port on the Roland and it will be recognized as a MIDI device without the need for a USB MIDI host, which I do not have. I have acquired a USB A female to USB B male connector so that I can plug the FTP dongle into the Roland XV 2020. But so far nothing happens. And since the Roland editor and driver seem to be waaay out of date and not compatible with my Mac, I can't get into the device to see what things look like in there.

So my question is, does anyone know of a write-up for a set of instructions or a video that shows how to do this? I have been searching on the internet for a while now and haven't come up with anything yet. And I am very much a MIDI novice so I have been trying to educate myself in the process.

Thank you for reading this and any help that anyone might could provide.

Jeff

Elantric

Quote from: jmooremtb on January 25, 2024, 02:43:21 PMHello,

I am trying to get started with layering guitar tones and synth tones. I have a Fishman Triple Play Wireless on a Godin guitar and a Roland XV 2020. I  understand that I should be able to plug the FTP dongle into the USB port on the Roland and it will be recognized as a MIDI device without the need for a USB MIDI host, which I do not have.

Fishman Tripleplay works only with devices with USB MIDI CLASS COMPLIANT HOST PORT.

none of the Roland products provide that type USB Host port
Roland XV 2020 USB audio/ MIDI CLIENT  port is for computer connection only - not a USB MIDI Host port.
https://www.roland.com/global/products/xv-2020/

You will need a USB HOST to 5pin MIDI Adapter

Many here use the DoreMIDI product
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=15763.25#msg219774

jmooremtb

Hello,

Thank you very much for the quick reply! I will pick up one of those and hopefully get going with this endeavor.

Jeff

jmooremtb

Hello,

I have taken your advice and purchased a host device. After a lot of research I decided on the CME Uhost for the FTP dongle and the CME WIDI jack for the Roland MIDI inputs for a wireless setup.

The tracking is awesome when I use the FTP dongle plugged straight into the computer and use it with software synths. But it is pitiful when I use the CME devices with the FTP dongle and pickup to control the Roland XV-2020. I have tried manipulating the sensitivity of the pickup in all kinds of different ways. But so far I can't figure out how to configure things to be able to use the thing live.

Do you have any advice for optimizing this setup?

Thank you very much!

Jeff

admin_shawnb

My first thought is to ensure that the pitch bend range is set to a common high value (24 or 12) on the ftp as well as all parts/instruments used on the xv-2020.

All kinds of odd things can happen when the bend ranges are not aligned. 

Tosh

In setting up my XV-5050 for bass guitar, I found it helpful to limit the note range for each string to only the notes that are playable by that string. There are other settings to consider such as the minimum velocity needed to play a note, how fast the note should attack, what MIDI events will be ignored, etc.

I don't remember all of the user parameters available in the XV series, but with some experimentation you should be able to improve the performance of your synth. From the factory, it was setup to be played by a keyboard.

I should mention that I have my bass with hex output connected to a GI-20 , which is then connected to the XV via MIDI cable. Nothing in my rig is wireless (though I wouldn't expect the wireless part of your chain to be causing problems).

jmooremtb

Thank you very much for the help. I will start tweaking those parameters. It looks like a pretty deep rabbit hole!

Jeff