Transplant question Differences between 500, 600 and 700 variax's

Started by TechFixer, January 15, 2024, 10:02:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TechFixer

I'm looking to do a transplant and I'm considering which model to get. All I'm really looking for are the electronics so at this point the only options seem to be eBay/reverb.

Does anyone know if there's any difference between the model 500, 600 and 700 electronics? I know the 700 was built in Japan and both the 600 and 700 have tremolo bridges but other than that are there any sonic differences? I'd prefer to get a JVT but the prices are too high for something that's no longer supported.

Any and all comments, suggestions, recommendations greatly appreciated!!

Thx,

Techfixer
Hi, I'm TechFixer.... I'm a gear-A-Holic and I have a problem. (Hi TechFixer!!) Pretty much every Roland guitar synth from the GR-50 to the VG-99. Roland VGA amps too. Lefty Line 6 500 Variax (converted to strung righty) FrankenPeavey ATG and Fishman TP

Elantric

Among the older generation, the 300 is preffered, included a full EMI cage and largest I/O connectors and the most robust electronics

The others employ tedious printed flex cables which are fragile

https://www.gtrworks.nl/frankenstein-variax-transplant-strat/

TechFixer

Thanks Elantric,
Do you know which models uses an encoder for model selection vs calibrated potentiometer?.
I'm guessing neither part is available but I might be able to source an encoder.

Techfixer
Hi, I'm TechFixer.... I'm a gear-A-Holic and I have a problem. (Hi TechFixer!!) Pretty much every Roland guitar synth from the GR-50 to the VG-99. Roland VGA amps too. Lefty Line 6 500 Variax (converted to strung righty) FrankenPeavey ATG and Fishman TP

Elantric