Gumtown now has a GM-800 and GKC-AD

Started by gumtown, January 14, 2024, 10:36:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gumtown

not arrived yet, but have brought both the GM-800 and GKC-AD units new on eBay from overseas.
Will take a few weeks to arrive, but better late than never to the GM party.

I hope to put the GM-800 through its paces,
 my GR-55 has been well used over the past 13 years,
and the EXP pedal is nearly buggered (has to be re-calibrated about 3 times per gig),
 and being in the wild gigging environment and practice rooms,
 it is also looking a bit road worn.

I will pair the GM-800 up with my SY-1000 and Primova GX-2,
 and will repackage my 12 button DIY midi note footswitches into a slim 12 in line array across the front of the SY & GM,
 so I can use at least one partial with my feet (this is what I wished the GR-55 could have done).

I hope the GM-800 arrives in a timely manor, and no new GK synth product is released at NAMM in the next 2 weeks.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

gumtown

The GM-800 arrived today, after a hold up at customs, and then the delivery delayed from local holiday weekend.
First thing was to connect Tone Studio, which didn't go as easy as other products did.
The driver on Windows 10 wouldn't auto install, so I had to download and manually install it,
then Tone Studio be manually told which midi device to use (GM-800).
and then... the firmware was old, and had to be updated. easy enough from there on..

While waiting for the GM-800, I knocked up a simple Arduino Nano based midi note foot controller, which works great when some synth Partials are set to external "midi" control.
(System Midi settings page, change the input from "GK" to "Custom", and set which partials run from GK and which run from midi.

I also have the GKC-AD converter and the required patch leads, 1 x short TRS data (DIY Beldon) cable for GK-Serial, and 1 x GK-13 cable.

The DIY midi pedal is very slim, and hopefully not too compact.

Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Elantric

gumtown

Quote from: Elantric on January 30, 2024, 06:37:33 PMCongratulations!

Shouldn't take me long to replicate the PCM synth patches I used in the GR-55 into the GM-800.

whippinpost91850

Please let me know if you come up with a GR55 style full sax, B3 , flute patch
I loved the form factor but couldn't find any, GR55 kind of patches for my cover gig
Hope you love it, I really liked the form factor and the mono switch for soling is pretty awesome

admin_shawnb

Yeah, as ever, the demo patches (even the sound packs) flaunt all the things you can do with the GM-800, so they're overwrought...  Hard to find a nice simple sax preset, but you can sure find one buried under choirs, pads, strings, bells, reverb, more FX and a didgeridoo...

For instrument emulation, I find I have to make those myself.  I can dial in what I want, but it takes work.

arkieboy

Quote from: whippinpost91850 on January 31, 2024, 08:15:00 PMPlease let me know if you come up with a GR55 style full sax, B3 , flute patch
I loved the form factor but couldn't find any, GR55 kind of patches for my cover gig
Hope you love it, I really liked the form factor and the mono switch for soling is pretty awesome
For B3 you might need to buy the Vintage Keys wave expansion.  Full of different organ presets from what is shipped in the GM-800.

I didn't have a problem with the flutes, the first one I came across - 0167 Flute Vib - fits nicely into the song I use a flute on.
Main rig: Barden Hexacaster and Brian Moore i2.13 controllers
Boss SY1000/Boss GKC-AD/Boss GM-800/Laney LFR112

Other relevant gear: Line 6 Helix LT, Roland GR-33, Axon AX100 MkII
Oberheim Matrix 6R, Supernova IIR, EMu E5000, Apple Mainstage, Apple Logic, MOTU M4

gumtown

I am really liking the GM-800,
 the note tracking is solid,
 and the basic elements of the instrument tone set are better than the GR-55,
 in a way that you can choose clean tones without the added effect and modulations the GR-55 instrument tones have burnt into the PCM sample.
This allows you to add modulations and effects to basic tones only when required.

The adjustable dynamics and velocity settings per tone is very useful to sculpture great reactive dynamic to your tones.
Some of the boutique chorus/delays are great !! they add a full spread to the sound, and finally a pitch-shifter effect to add harmonies to a single note.

I am loving the feature of being able to play tones from two sources, GK and midi in,
 but my only feature wish for a firmware update is to be able to select the "Source input" options "per patch".
Maybe an Arpeggiator (sequencer?) would have been a handy option too.

It can be easy to get overwhelmed with option-overload, but when creating a new Scene, start with everything 'off' then just add (and work with) one element at a time.

whippinpost91850

I'm mostly lookin for a good rock type sax and B3

gumtown

Quote from: whippinpost91850 on February 01, 2024, 08:05:32 PMI'm mostly lookin for a good rock type sax and B3

There are some good ones in the GM-800 tone set, and some very good ones in the Studio expansion pack.

gumtown

Here is my SY-1000 and GM-800 on a board.
Making a new pedal board and this is where it is going
SY-1000 is tilted up on an angle with two power supplies velcro'd underneath.
The GM-800 has the GKC-AD converter underneath.
The GK splitter is at the top right, and to the left of that is a passive mixer SY-1000 + GM-800 in,
 and stereo mix out for the P.A. + a mono monitor out to a stage amp.

The grey thing with buttons is a D.I.Y foot version of a midi note controller to SY-1000 midi input > Sy-1000 set to midi thru, SY-1000 midi out > GM-800 midi input > GM-800 midi out > VE-500 midi in.

Still more to finish on the board...

whippinpost91850

Quote from: gumtown on February 07, 2024, 08:53:04 PMThere are some good ones in the GM-800 tone set, and some very good ones in the Studio expansion pack.
Thanks, I didn't care for the ones in the GM800, you say there's good ones in the Studio Expansion pack, can they be demoed in the cloud?

admin_shawnb

What would be most helpful on Roland Cloud would be the ability to view or download the tone list & the waveform list before purchase. 

You get a nice .pdf after purchase. 

The little demos are nice when looking at an expansion pack, but, incomplete.

E.g., is there even a sax in EXZ005? 

It's nice to see there are 522 waveforms.  But what are they?

arkieboy

I'm fairly certain that all of the wave expansions were SRX/SR-JV80 memory cards for the old JV line of romplers.

The SRX-03 was the 'Studio Sounds' card.  Has three saxes.

Quick demos of those cards can be found on SynthMania, but I usually google to find them - the site's index always seems broken when I use it

https://www.synthmania.com/srx-03.htm

Oberheim Matrix 6R, Supernova IIR, EMu E5000, Apple Mainstage, Apple Logic, MOTU M4

arkieboy

Also, we can fix the listing problem.

If the mods want to set up a sticky thread, we can post the sound lists for the wave expansions we buy.  I have 008 and will have 015 soon.  Brock probably has them all already though ;-)

Elantric

Quote from: arkieboy on February 09, 2024, 08:56:45 AMAlso, we can fix the listing problem.

If the mods want to set up a sticky thread, we can post the sound lists for the wave expansions we buy.  I have 008 and will have 015 soon.  Brock probably has them all already though ;-)

List your GM-800 Roland  Zenology and Expansion packs sounds as a list here
GM-800 Roland Zenology and Expansion packs sounds
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=36825.0#new

BROCKSTAR

Quote from: arkieboy on February 09, 2024, 08:56:45 AMAlso, we can fix the listing problem.

If the mods want to set up a sticky thread, we can post the sound lists for the wave expansions we buy.  I have 008 and will have 015 soon.  Brock probably has them all already though ;-)

Nah I haven't bought any expansions. Plenty to do with the 135 zenology sound packs and the 9 ZEZ ones so far. (However they never released a zenology pack for january and that makes me upset lol)

whippinpost91850

I could not agree more. The main reason I sent the GM800 back, was I couldn't easily find the usable sounds , for my cover bands