Best amp compatible with gx-100 for live shows and practice ?

Started by panixgr, January 14, 2024, 09:35:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IMH1234

Quote from: panixgr on January 18, 2024, 12:02:44 PMBut I notice that the best sounds in gx-100 are the stereo ones. Mono are meh.

On their own stereo often sounds great but mono wins nine times out of ten in a mix. One of the best bits of advice I ever got was many years ago from my guitar teacher (who went on to be a very highly regarded engineer and producer) who showed me how often it is the least exciting and downright dreadful tones that have the most punch in the mix - was really interesting to hear him dial up tones that sounded awful, thin and lifeless from the amp but completely magic in the mix

Brak(E)man

Quote from: panixgr on January 18, 2024, 12:02:44 PMBut I notice that the best sounds in gx-100 are the stereo ones. Mono are meh.

I'd never use mono , in the studio or on stage.
2 monitors on stage 10 , 12 or 15 inch and into PA.
swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch

IMH1234

Quote from: Brak(E)man on January 18, 2024, 02:25:55 PMI'd never use mono , in the studio or on stage.
2 monitors on stage 10 , 12 or 15 inch and into PA.

For on stage monitoring stereo can be a huge improvement - particularly for modelled and synth tones - FoH and studio is context specific of course but more often than not what people call stereo is actually just 'big mono' with a bunch of phase issues in many real world listening environments. Given how great your recordings sound though you are clearly making stereo work for you :)

Elantric

Its all about the concept for your musical performance.

If you are playing solo in small to midsize venues, with treated acoustic echo absorbing walls/ ceilings- stereo is fun

But if you are performing as part of an ensemble, 4 piece rock band with bass &  drums, and a 2nd guitarist, or keyboards in gymnasiums, rooms with lots of reverb - I find  stereo far less important.

Its more important to find a place in the frequency spectrum where your instrument can be heard, and when not soling , does not overwhelm / muddy up  your other band members performance.