Adding (not moving) a new effect to a chain OR is this even possible?

Started by Kitko, December 31, 2023, 08:06:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kitko

So I got the SY-1000 just before Xmas and finally got to spend some time with it. And for the love of all that's green I can't figure out how to ADD an effect to a chain. Every video and the manual talk about MOVING effects around. Also, I'd like to change routing and joint points for individual instruments but that doesn't seem possible.

Here's the gist of my use-case. I want to create two 'identical' guitar sounds - one for the normal pickup, for the hex pickup as an Instrument. Identical in terms of amp sim stuff. Then 'detune' the Instrument ever so slightly and maybe put a whiff of delay on it (the ABBA trick).

I'd love to use a bit of distortion there too. I can move the Distorion box around but it's either on the Normal chain OR on the Inst 3 chain. FX1-3 don't feature distortion.

So it seems that effects can be used only once.

The option would be to turn off Amp Sim in the Instrument itself and move the AMP sim box to the final chain like on the screenshot. But then ALL instruments and the normal pickup would be processed by the Amp Sim because there's no chance of routing Inst 1 & 2 to join 'behind' the Amp Sim box.

Also, I wouldn't be able to use different delays on the two guitar signals (well, only before the Amp Sim).

Am I pushing SY-1000 beyond its limit with smth that seems like what any guitarist would do? :)
Boss SY-1000
Roland VG-99
Boss RC-600
Roland FC-300
Ibanez RGA 7 with GK3
Ibanez RGA 72QM with GK3 kit
Ibanez RGA 121 Prestige JD Craft

Brak(E)man

You'd have to use the amp in the modeling block to get the distortion you want.
As you've figured out the dist block is only one.
(And the amps and dist block are mono so)

But it should all be doable , what you're looking for.
There's enough distortion in the amps.
swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch

aliensporebomb

I take it you're trying to get a stereo L-R guitar pair that plausibly sounds like two guitars playing by delaying one slightly?
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

Kitko

Quote from: aliensporebomb on December 31, 2023, 09:27:01 AMI take it you're trying to get a stereo L-R guitar pair that plausibly sounds like two guitars playing by delaying one slightly?

Actually, I'm going for a wall of sound Andrew WK style, what's mono is mono, of course, but I do plan to experiment with string panning on the Instrument E-guitar and pushing everything to the stereo output.

However, pushing Normal right and Instrument left (for example) would create smth similar, albeit simpler, to the old Satriani recordings where he panned one rhythm guitar far left, the other far right.

Anyway, thank you all folks, Happy New Year!
Boss SY-1000
Roland VG-99
Boss RC-600
Roland FC-300
Ibanez RGA 7 with GK3

jozart

FWIW, it sounds like you may not realize that the instruments can be moved around vertically to change the routing. For example, NORMAL can me moved to the top.

There is also a divider/mixer that can be placed anywhere.

In addition, as a last resort, you can move the Send/Return where you need it and insert another pedal.

Brak(E)man

Quote from: Kitko on December 31, 2023, 11:47:40 AMI do plan to experiment with string panning on the Instrument E-guitar and pushing everything to the stereo output.

The string panning only works if you leave the amp/speaker modeling out afaik.
As said it's mono , imho a great mistake by Boss. You also have to see what fxs you're using , if they're in mono or stereo etc.
(There's some poly fx modeling like poly fx distortion and poly fx rich mod that could work for you )

- Lydia Lunch

Kitko

Quote from: Brak(E)man on December 31, 2023, 01:23:57 PMThe string panning only works if you leave the amp/speaker modeling out afaik.
As said it's mono , imho a great mistake by Boss. You also have to see what fxs you're using , if they're in mono or stereo etc.
(There's some poly fx modeling like poly fx distortion and poly fx rich mod that could work for you )

It seems that you can pan strings with AMp Sim

Boss SY-1000
Roland VG-99
Boss RC-600
Roland FC-300
Ibanez RGA 7 with GK3

Kitko

Quote from: jozart on December 31, 2023, 12:15:00 PMFWIW, it sounds like you may not realize that the instruments can be moved around vertically to change the routing. For example, NORMAL can me moved to the top.

There is also a divider/mixer that can be placed anywhere.

In addition, as a last resort, you can move the Send/Return where you need it and insert another pedal.

THANK YOU! :D  That I missed and I don't think I saw a video where they'd move the instruments vertically!
Boss SY-1000
Roland VG-99
Boss RC-600
Roland FC-300
Ibanez RGA 7 with GK3

Brak(E)man

- Lydia Lunch

stub

Quote from: jozart on December 31, 2023, 12:15:00 PMFWIW, it sounds like you may not realize that the instruments can be moved around vertically to change the routing. For example, NORMAL can me moved to the top.

:o

It's weird, I never bothered to even try. I just assumed the INST's were all hardwired over there on the left.

Maybe that's the last cool thing I'll learn for 2023. Thanks!!!