boss fs-6 clone with leds

Started by pauloshure, December 28, 2023, 02:49:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pauloshure

Greetings everyone:
How can I build a clone of the fs-6, but with LEDs?

arkieboy

It's not that difficult, but you should ask yourself why - you're not going to save a huge amount if you buy a new enclosure.  In the UK, Bright Onion do one for £35.  And the switching between latching and momentary modes in the pedal isn't that easy to do ...

https://brightonion.co.uk/products/mini-dual-latching-footswitch-with-leds

My friend Wonks made me a double-FS6 (fixed configuration, 2x latching with LEDs and 2x momentary) so I could control both my SY-1000 and GM-800 whilst fitting within the space constraints on my pedalboard.  The cost of the components was about the same as a brand new FS-6.

You cannot view this attachment.
Main rig: Barden Hexacaster and Brian Moore i2.13 controllers
Boss SY1000/Boss GKC-AD/Boss GM-800/Laney LFR112

Other relevant gear: Line 6 Helix LT, Roland GR-33, Axon AX100 MkII
Oberheim Matrix 6R, Supernova IIR, EMu E5000, Apple Mainstage, Apple Logic, MOTU M4

pauloshure

I already found the connection part with the polarity switches and everything, but I still haven't figured out how to place the indicator LEDs.

gumtown

If your foot switches are a 'double pole' type (DPDT) you can wire leds to the spare switch contacts.
If the switches are single pole (SPDT or SPST) then further complicated electronics are required.
In both cases, to drive leds, a power supply is required.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

pauloshure

Yes, the fs-6 itself and others also need external power, I just need a schematic on how to power it.

gumtown

Hope this is clear to read
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

pauloshure

It's almost clear... could you explain to me if the keys are momentary?

pauloshure

I ask because the switches are momentary and the schematic doesn't have a relay that when activated keeps the LED on, and when pressed again turns it off (taking into account that I'm going to use the fs-6 schematic with the polarity switches etc..

pauloshure

This is the diagram in which I would like to place the indicator LEDs....

gumtownadmin

The schematic diagram previously posted is based on the one shown in the last post, the foot switches need to be latching.
If you are wanting to use momentary foot switches to drive toggled leds and toggled output, then you are going to need to use binary flipflop integrated circuit chips and transistors with a lot more electronic components.
Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else.

sixeight

And do know that the on/off state of the LED does not follow the state of the parameter that you control on whatever device you are controlling.

So therefore it may not be worth the trouble.

arkieboy

Quote from: sixeight on January 01, 2024, 02:04:33 PMAnd do know that the on/off state of the LED does not follow the state of the parameter that you control on whatever device you are controlling.

So therefore it may not be worth the trouble.
This is a problem with using a pukka FS-6 too.  I still find the LED helpful.  You need to be mindful of the initial state of the patch, and ensure your pedal is in sync with that when you change.

I try to use external pedals to save wear and tear on the SY - what I often do is duplicate part of an  assign with a simple control function on the SY ctl1/2 so as to give a direct status light.  
Main rig: Barden Hexacaster and Brian Moore i2.13 controllers
Boss SY1000/Boss GKC-AD/Boss GM-800/Laney LFR112

Other relevant gear: Line 6 Helix LT, Roland GR-33, Axon AX100 MkII
Oberheim Matrix 6R, Supernova IIR, EMu E5000, Apple Mainstage, Apple Logic, MOTU M4