amp modeler

Started by nervoteso, December 21, 2023, 04:58:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nervoteso

when will be released a gm800 with built in amp simulators and effects as like as the gr55? i need it

IMH1234

We don't have any information as to what products Roland might release to accompany the GM800. Personally I expect they will want to get an SY1000 equivalent to market asap to take advantage of the new serial input tech and then phase out the remaining 13pin devices but that is pure speculation and they could do something completely different or even nothing at all...

If you need a GR55 why not just get a GR55? One thing history tells us about Roland products is that the newest version doesn't always do quite what the last one did and for every step forward there is often also a step back so whatever comes out next might not be what you need. Better to make music now with what is already available and decide whether a future product might be better if and when it is released.

arkieboy

I don't think we're going to get a GM800 version of the GR55.  In fact, I don't think we're going to see a bundled product like the GR-55/VG-99/SY-1000 again for some time. 

My expectation is that their plans are for dedicated units so people can mix and match to get the functionality and sophistication they want.
Main rig: Barden Hexacaster and Brian Moore i2.13 controllers
Boss SY1000/Boss GKC-AD/Boss GM-800/Laney LFR112

Other relevant gear: Line 6 Helix LT, Roland GR-33, Axon AX100 MkII
Oberheim Matrix 6R, Supernova IIR, EMu E5000, Apple Mainstage, Apple Logic, MOTU M4

IMH1234

Quote from: arkieboy on December 21, 2023, 07:10:42 AMI don't think we're going to get a GM800 version of the GR55.  In fact, I don't think we're going to see a bundled product like the GR-55/VG-99/SY-1000 again for some time. 

My expectation is that their plans are for dedicated units so people can mix and match to get the functionality and sophistication they want.

Would love to see that. Appreciate there will be other views but would prefer something focused on modelling synth sounds without all the guitar and amp models which have always struck me as a different use case altogether

BROCKSTAR

I would rather them make individual modules. Like module for acoustic stuff, module for electric stuff, module for bass stuff, module for different types of synthesizers like fm, granular etc.. and allow us to hook it anyway that we want.

This way it'll save on DSP if they only focus on certain things instead of cramming everything in one box and having excuses they can't update and give us anything new.

BMapson

I'd like to see a GP-10 upgrade.  I don't need the synth as much as the guitar stuff (though I do have the SY-1000, it sits home most of the time). The small form factor of the GP-10 is more suitable for my needs at the moment.

IMH1234

Quote from: BROCKSTAR on December 21, 2023, 11:01:13 AMmodule for different types of synthesizers like fm, granular etc.. and allow us to hook it anyway that we want.

That would be awesome!!!

gumtown

My preference is for a single box with 'everything' in it, including the best features from past incarnations.
And don't skimp on the CPU/processing power, I would pay extra for something with extra power and the entire Roland/Boss history built in.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

BROCKSTAR

Quote from: gumtown on December 21, 2023, 12:55:56 PMMy preference is for a single box with 'everything' in it, including the best features from past incarnations.
And don't skimp on the CPU/processing power, I would pay extra for something with extra power and the entire Roland/Boss history built in.

Isn't that partially the gm-800? They added tons of roland / boss synths for zenology that goes into gm-800.

arkieboy

Quote from: BROCKSTAR on December 21, 2023, 11:01:13 AMmodule for different types of synthesizers like fm, granular etc..
Roland doesn't really do any other kind of synth.  Pretty much everything they've produced is essentially analogue in architecture - oscillators, filter, amplifier, LFOs and envelopes - and while they've used samples as oscillators (JV/XV), and most of that has been digitally implemented since the D-50, there's never been a wavetable lurking under the hood and any FM has been firmly of the analogue variety.  Fact is if Roland haven't sampled the right kind of FM waveform or a suitable wavetable scan and put it in a wave expansion, you're looking at an external box from another supplier to access those sounds.

I don't think its very useful to speculate how easy it might be to extend Zenology to support other synthesis methods, although you would have thought wavetables would be relatively easy to implement, and since FM is designed to be very sparing of computer power (and out of patent) they could theoretically do a Korg.

I think it's more pertinent to ask yourself the question 'how much market value could they extract from that kind of move?'.  In a world where you can grab $100 of Raspberry Pi kit and have either a DEXED TX816 or the ROMpler of your dreams in a box barely bigger than a mobile phone, where Behringer will sell you a four voice Prophet VS for $100, or possibly more to the point where its only a matter of time before Apple release MainStage on iOS for $40.

They could probably make more money selling a GM-800 audio/midi driver for iOS on the App Store ...
Main rig: Barden Hexacaster and Brian Moore i2.13 controllers
Boss SY1000/Boss GKC-AD/Boss GM-800/Laney LFR112

Other relevant gear: Line 6 Helix LT, Roland GR-33, Axon AX100 MkII
Oberheim Matrix 6R, Supernova IIR, EMu E5000, Apple Mainstage, Apple Logic, MOTU M4

whippinpost91850

I agree, I would love a  updated GR55+ befor I die, or can't continue to gig
And as 73. I don't think I have that many years left in me, but I hope so

gumtown

Quote from: BROCKSTAR on December 21, 2023, 02:31:05 PMIsn't that partially the gm-800? They added tons of roland / boss synths for zenology that goes into gm-800.
That and all the rest, VG-8, VG-99, SY-1000 including the bits that get left out with each new modeler, and all of the GT-1000 effects in a hex mode (per string) too.
I'm not asking for too much am I ?

If not everything at once, then something that can be in one box, but user pays modular, where you buy the extra tech functions as required.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

IMH1234

Quote from: arkieboy on December 21, 2023, 03:04:41 PMRoland doesn't really do any other kind of synth.  Pretty much everything they've produced is essentially analogue in architecture - oscillators, filter, amplifier, LFOs and envelopes - and while they've used samples as oscillators (JV/XV), and most of that has been digitally implemented since the D-50, there's never been a wavetable lurking under the hood and any FM has been firmly of the analogue variety.  Fact is if Roland haven't sampled the right kind of FM waveform or a suitable wavetable scan and put it in a wave expansion, you're looking at an external box from another supplier to access those sounds.

I don't think its very useful to speculate how easy it might be to extend Zenology to support other synthesis methods, although you would have thought wavetables would be relatively easy to implement, and since FM is designed to be very sparing of computer power (and out of patent) they could theoretically do a Korg.

I think it's more pertinent to ask yourself the question 'how much market value could they extract from that kind of move?'.  In a world where you can grab $100 of Raspberry Pi kit and have either a DEXED TX816 or the ROMpler of your dreams in a box barely bigger than a mobile phone, where Behringer will sell you a four voice Prophet VS for $100, or possibly more to the point where its only a matter of time before Apple release MainStage on iOS for $40.

They could probably make more money selling a GM-800 audio/midi driver for iOS on the App Store ...

Agree this is unlikely to be something we will see from Roland - their house approach to synthesis is almost exclusively digital subtractive + samples. Would be great if there was some support for dedicated guitar synth products from other manufacturers that would give some alternate GK compatible units with for example real analogue, alternate digital synthesis but the level of investment needed is very high to break into a tiny market already dominated by one manufacturer so highly unlikely.

Ultimately, if we want these things we are stuck with the pitch to midi alternatives and external modules which IMHO is fundamentally compromised and will never will be truly viable for expressive guitar synthesis without accepting latency and workarounds