How many years later?

Started by lefty Freak, December 20, 2023, 12:02:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lefty Freak

I was browsing a local pawn shop and saw a Boss GT8 for sale @ 60.00. The thing looked almost new save a couple scratches, so I thought what the heck. Brought it home and dialed up a patch based off of the BG preamp lead and I honestly can't believe how good this thing sounds and feels. I mean it's not going to supplant my Helix LT or anything but I'll be damned if the thing didn't rock my face off.

I ran it straight to the power amp in of my Spider Valve MKI. Didn't bother trying to use the cab or mic sims but I will tomorrow straight to PA. I almost forgot how good the feedbacker is in these things too, and the intelligent harmonizer. I had a GT-100 once upon a time and so moving around this thing wasn't too bad. Though I did plug in via MIDI and use Colin's GT-8 FX Floorboard at one point.

I feel like I stole the thing.
"Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage."  ― Anais Nin

pasha811

Most of the times old gear is not outdated as marketing want us to believe.
Happy you found that rocking!
Listen to my music at :  http://alonetone.com/pasha/

Elantric

I like the GT-8 instant access to all knobs for live use.

Video Tutorials here

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=33484.0

diecairo

Don't you find it fizzy as hell? Back then it totally failed to pair with my Laney VC30 1x12 class A valve amp.

lefty Freak

Quote from: diecairo on December 20, 2023, 02:17:52 PMDon't you find it fizzy as hell? Back then it totally failed to pair with my Laney VC30 1x12 class A valve amp.

Hmm. Not so far but I have only used the BG lead and JC-120 pre-amps. If anything I have had to turn the presence way up on my SPider Valve.

Elantric

Its not fizzy at all, if you experience fizz, its from not understanding using proper Output Modes and enabling the Cab simulation

IMH1234

Quote from: pasha811 on December 20, 2023, 05:58:09 AMMost of the times old gear is not outdated as marketing want us to believe.

At some point it becomes vintage and desirable  8)

aliensporebomb

Roland JC-120 - I've had that since 1985 and have only needed to replace one fuse in it, in all that time.
VS840 VStudio - Approx 1995 and still works - I primarily use it as an audio mixer these days
VG-99 Since 2008
GP-10 Since 2015
SY-1000 Since June 2020 I believe

I use this stuff even years and years later.
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

Jim Williams

I have used the GT 8, GT pro and the VG 99 and they all share the same amp modeling technology. They all sounded great and are still very usable today. there are many forum members here that currently use the VG 99 and are very satisfied with the tones they get. I still use my GT pr0 from time to time and regret selling my GT 8.

Everything from modeling to the real deal, my house looks like a music store.

Antonuzzo

A great example of this is the Boss BE-5. You can pick them up for a song, but they have the same circuits as early versions of the CS-3, CE-2, DD-3 and an OS-2, with a few simplifications. You'd be lucky to get hold of that lot together for less than £500.

lefty Freak

I also managed to track down the GT-8 brilliance PDF and there's a lot of great stuff in there.

diecairo

I read that PDF too back then, but it contributed to show how hard it was to find good tones from GT8. Apart from cleans the battle was lost and I sold it. But if it is good to your ears I could have been wrong.

Shingles

I have the GT-Pro which is basically a rack mounted GT8.
It's my primary source of regular guitar tone.
No fizz.
No suckage.
Nik
--------------------------------
Tonelab, VG99, Axon AX100, EDP, Repeater
Godin, PRS, Crafter and Roland guitars
Center Point Stereo Spacestation V3