SY-1000 - Firmware 1.09 (Dec 23)

Started by kevorkian, December 14, 2023, 12:10:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevorkian

Just saw this - has anyone installed it yet?

Bug Fixes
The following bugs were fixed.
When using TUNER only GUITAR INPUT connected, the note name of the first string does not appear when GK IN is connected.
ALT TUNE for OSC SYNTH effect is canceled, after using TUNER.
ALT TUNE PITCH DOWN SETTING causes noise when picking.
MIDI THRU sometimes makes loop when connected to BTS.
It was possible to edit from BTS even during a FACTORY RESET.
The title does not appear on the BALANCER1 EDIT screen.
ASSIGN PC cannot be sent to more than one MIDI channel.
If you set GK SET or NORMAL SET in BASS MODE KNOB SETTING, only SET1 can be selected.
At the BASS MODE, the level meter moves even when GK is not connected.

https://www.boss.info/global/support/by_product/sy-1000/updates_drivers/7138875a-30cb-49be-9ad9-7746c9839507/

Kevin M

Must have just released that today, or yesterday. I'm not sure if the 3rd bullet means they've addressed the weird glitch with alt tuned acoustic models, but I sure hope so.

kevorkian

Quote from: Kevin M on December 14, 2023, 12:15:07 PMMust have just released that today, or yesterday. I'm not sure if the 3rd bullet means they've addressed the weird glitch with alt tuned acoustic models, but I sure hope so.

Hoping the same re. the 3rd bullet point! Will install later and see.

gumtown

YAY !!  :D Thank You Boss,
 now I shall finally be able to select GK Sets from a panel knob.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

BROCKSTAR

Boring lol, more bug fixes but again they add nothing new like they did or do for GT-1000

Glad they fixed some bugs though, but that should have been done a lot quicker.

Chumly

Boss/Roland is not Line 6 or Kemper alas. I expect their market share could have been larger if they had promoted more updates. I know I'm singing to the choir. I'll dutifully perform the updates like a responsible consumer-citizen.
I think it's much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers which might be wrong. - Richard P. Feynman

aliensporebomb

Quote from: BROCKSTAR on December 14, 2023, 02:45:38 PMBoring lol, more bug fixes but again they add nothing new like they did or do for GT-1000

Glad they fixed some bugs though, but that should have been done a lot quicker.

I far prefer fixes for features that are supposed to work rather than trying to pile on additional features.   They can do that now!

Thanks Roland/Boss!
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

IMH1234

Quote from: Chumly on December 14, 2023, 04:52:39 PMI expect their market share could have been larger if they had promoted more updates

I doubt it has any material effect - they are already have the largest share by far in guitar FX and and number two for guitar amplifiers and are not seeking to materially increase this in their stated growth priorities. Their documented strategy is based on new products and extending value on existing products through apps and content - firmware updates are not strategically important to them - however much anyone might like them to develop products through firmware, it is not a priority for them:

https://ir.roland.com/en/ir/news/news-2458953051460263453/main/0/link/Financial%20Results%20Presentation_FY2020.pdf

BROCKSTAR

Quote from: aliensporebomb on December 14, 2023, 08:59:11 PMI far prefer fixes for features that are supposed to work rather than trying to pile on additional features.   They can do that now!

Thanks Roland/Boss!

Don't make me laugh lol :P They're not going too still. And why not both? Other companies can do fixes and give new stuff, no excuse really.

IMH1234

Quote from: BROCKSTAR on December 15, 2023, 04:09:13 AMOther companies can do fixes and give new stuff, no excuse really

It is simply that Roland/Boss have decided this is not their business model - major updates are for new products or via app/cloud sales not existing products. To be honest, fair enough - they are open and transparent about this - they never promise upgrades or firmware feature improvements so the fact that they at least fix stuff eventually is something.

Brak(E)man

Quote from: IMH1234 on December 15, 2023, 04:27:28 AMIt is simply that Roland/Boss have decided this is not their business model - major updates are for new products or via app/cloud sales not existing products. To be honest, fair enough - they are open and transparent about this - they never promise upgrades or firmware feature improvements so the fact that they at least fix stuff eventually is something.

With exceptions within the guitar sector like katana , GT-1000 etc etc
So it's not a 100 % policy, which is obviously their prerogative
but imho they're not doing the brand a favor by being inconsistent.
And fixing an unfinished product should be done way, way before 4 years on the market and something I'd would take for granted with any gear regardless of brand.
swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch

aliensporebomb

Remember too that Roland indicated they'd used up the bulk of the memory on this unit so it's not like they can add other major features. 
What would they concievably add?  That's a topic for another thread. 

I haven't had more than 20 minutes to play with the update but I think the pitched acoustic guitar problem is corrected. 

I'm a little surprised that they did so many fixes in this update.  It's been since October 2022 since they did the last update - given the product was released during the beginning of the pandemic I see three updates in 2020, 1 in 2021 and one in 2022.   It's possible that more people are buying the product and as a result users are discovering more bugs hence this 9 fix update.   Is it the last update?   We'll know in a year.

arkieboy

Updating now.

I have to say I've not experienced any of these bugs, but I have some time before the next gig so I can revert if necessary.
Main rig: Barden Hexacaster and Brian Moore i2.13 controllers
Boss SY1000/Boss GKC-AD/Boss GM-800/Laney LFR112

Other relevant gear: Line 6 Helix LT, Roland GR-33, Axon AX100 MkII
Oberheim Matrix 6R, Supernova IIR, EMu E5000, Apple Mainstage, Apple Logic, MOTU M4

aliensporebomb

Quote from: arkieboy on December 15, 2023, 06:49:13 AMUpdating now.

I have to say I've not experienced any of these bugs, but I have some time before the next gig so I can revert if necessary.

This was the fix from v1.07 to v1.08 which fixed warbling on ALT TUNED guitars such as 12-string guitars typically with harmonics.  That fix corrected the problem illustrated in my video but it added a problem to ALT TUNED acoustic guitars where intermittent random clicks would appear in the audio signal that were quite irritating.

Here's a demo.  I may do a new video showing the a-b of v1.08 to v1.09.

IMH1234

Quote from: Brak(E)man on December 15, 2023, 06:11:55 AMSo it's not a 100 % policy, which is obviously their prerogative

I agree they are a bit inconsistent and they do seem to provide more substantive updates to some of their more popular products - the TR-8s is a good example where they have implemented major updates, including new ACB models and FM functionalities. This is not really the norm though and it looks like though that this might be less common in favour of subscriptions and apps in future.

IMHO it is disappointing where anyone releases a product that is not fully functional/tested from day one - this whole culture of let's get it to market and fix in firmware really annoys me - had the original SY1000 release been a complete bug free product I would have probably bought one at the time. This reliance on future developments and updates definitely is a big part of why I am almost exclusively focused on legacy gear these days

Elantric

IMHO, the current product manager at Boss Japan had mandated that before end of 2023, Boss R&D must address defined reproducable bugs on current production products. GT-1000, SY-1000, and GX-100 recieved new Firmware this week , so mission accomplished.

aliensporebomb

Excellent and right before year end so he'll likely get a bonus.

Here's my little youtube demo of v1.09.  I could not do something like this before without random clicking appearing.

It's a bit oblique harmony-wise too, I decided to pitch things in weird areas with the highest strings pitched up (and in 12 string mode) and the lowest ones pitched down and a little synth melody to track along with it.   

IMH1234

Maybe once the next generation serial modelling unit is introduced they will include 'classic warble mode' as a setting - perfect for anyone looking to create the original random lofi glitchy wobble sounds of an SY1000 running the desirable mid period firmware versions. Parameters like 'drift', 'glitch' and the esoterically named 'frustration' recreate the user experience of the original units with the bonus of being fully automatable via the control page.

In fact maybe Chase Bliss will build a whole pedal round it  :) 

Bill Ruppert

Quote from: aliensporebomb on December 15, 2023, 03:13:16 PMExcellent and right before year end so he'll likely get a bonus.

Here's my little youtube demo of v1.09.  I could not do something like this before without random clicking appearing.

It's a bit oblique harmony-wise too, I decided to pitch things in weird areas with the highest strings pitched up and the lowest ones pitched down and a little synth melody to track along with it.   

Great Todd!

Kevin M

Quote from: aliensporebomb on December 15, 2023, 03:13:16 PMExcellent and right before year end so he'll likely get a bonus.

It's a bit oblique harmony-wise too, I decided to pitch things in weird areas with the highest strings pitched up and the lowest ones pitched down and a little synth melody to track along with it.   

Nice, thanks for sharing this!  I'm looking forward to installing this on mine tomorrow.

beatpete

Wow, I've been so looking forward to this but they didn't fix my main bug! The wah trick where you press on the expression pedal hard to change from volume to wah changes at 50 instead of the required 123 (it works using toggle but that doesn't help any). Bummer, I still have to use a midi cable between in and out and a CC# for this.

Brak(E)man

Quote from: beatpete on December 16, 2023, 06:50:43 AMWow, I've been so looking forward to this but they didn't fix my main bug! The wah trick where you press on the expression pedal hard to change from volume to wah changes at 50 instead of the required 123 (it works using toggle but that doesn't help any). Bummer, I still have to use a midi cable between in and out and a CC# for this.

There're lots of unfixed bugs left.
I don't think they'll ever get addressed.
swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch

aliensporebomb

They have to consider "how many people will be affected by this problem?"  Obviously if the user base all filed reports on one particular issue that would show a lot of people are being affected..  Also, people reporting it shows there are people using it after the purchase.

For example Beatpete references an issue I have never heard of before.  I definitely need to get a foot pedal for my SY-1000.

Elantric

Quote from: beatpete on December 16, 2023, 06:50:43 AMWow, I've been so looking forward to this but they didn't fix my main bug! The wah trick where you press on the expression pedal hard to change from volume to wah changes at 50 instead of the required 123 (it works using toggle but that doesn't help any). Bummer, I still have to use a midi cable between in and out and a CC# for this.

Report to Roland/Boss asap @ Roland Backstage Pass
https://www.roland.com/backstage/