Live fretboard view in software from GR33 / Godin Multiac

Started by chrisrobbo, December 08, 2023, 10:09:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisrobbo

Anyone have any recommendations for software which allows me to display a live fretboard of my playing a la Fishman Triple Play software , without the Fishman pickup - I already have a Godin Multiac 13 pin going into a GR33 ie. 6 midi channels, one per string. The Cakewalk DAW I use does actually have a live fretboard view of MIDI but is hopeless at doing the correct string because it does not have a channel per string. Alternatively is there any way I can license the Fishman software without the pickup ? (and will it in fact work ) ?

Brent Flash

chrisrobbo

Thanks, glad I stumbled across it, seems to be a pretty active and informed crowd !

Brent Flash

Your welcome! We have some really smart members that share their knowledge! We are lucky in that way.

Brent Flash

I am not sure if Finale does this now or not. Have you checked Finale?

gumtownadmin

You will need a hex pickup and the midi data output from which ever processing device (fishman 3p or GR-33) will need the midi mode set to "mono".
That will output a midi channel per string, which fretboard transcribing software will show per string.
Midi data sent in "poly" mode will not be able to distinguish which string, and your fretboard transcribing software will never reach the 5th fret until the last string.
Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else.

chrisrobbo

Thanks for tip on Finale , it definitely does do the channel per string / mono mode thing and as such probably does generate pretty good tabs, however it does not (as far as I can see) have a live fretboard which mirrors your playing like the Fishman software does. I am looking for something which does both , really - both tab generation and live mirroring - which is GREAT for online classes. I have seen it used with the Fishman software very successfully.  I'll give it a trial download though, to check

admin_shawnb

Cakewalk's staff view has a fretboard pane.  In fact, the staff view has a TAB option as well.   You can choose which channels per string, etc.

And yes, it does live mirroring.

I've never used it for TABs before.  Just gave it a quick spin with my FTP & it appears it does not factor in any wheel events, e.g., the TAB does not render legato or bends.

Works excellent for notes & chords.

https://legacy.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=SONAR&language=3&help=Views.28.html

chrisrobbo

Oh ? That'd be ideal but I couldn't see where to assign strings to channels ... Can you explain ?

chrisrobbo

No need... it is in your link , well done and thank you. Now if only it could be placed vertically .... :-)

chrisrobbo

After some work and frigging around with Cakewalk I managed to get the live mirroring happening by associating a midi channel with a separate Cakewalk track (so 6 tracks , one per string). Then some fiddling about in the staff view layout , and for live input it works like a charm , (but you have to disable anything other than notes from your midi guitar (no bends etc.) as Shawn pointed out , which is OK for what I need ) .

But, sadly, after recording , on playback I can't get it to work...  I can only get a single channel to play on the fretboard (which corresponds to a single string )  Not sure if anyone has any ideas on this, I spent a couple of hours with not much success - actually seems pretty buggy as even this is not consistent.  I was thinking along the lines of a midi loopback which just mirrors the output back to the input , since this seemed to work. All seems a bit hard. Anyone have any suggestions or experience here ?

Brak(E)man

On playback try setting all the strings to the same channel
( and/or possibly merge/mix them if needed )
swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch

chrisrobbo

I can actually get playback in eg TTS by assigning all 6 tracks to the instrument, that works no problem. I just can't get the fretboard to reproduce what I have recorded. And assigning all tracks to the same channel will not give the correct fingerings per string

admin_shawnb

I can record all into one track, and I can see the live fretboard while playing and during playback.  See screenshots.

The only limitation I've seen is that the live view doesn't happen during recording.  Only while playing (w/o recording) and on playback.

Playback:
You cannot view this attachment.

Make sure you're in Omni, so all 6 channels are properly recorded as played onto the track:

I have a preset for this in Cakewalk, for using MIDI channels 1-6:

admin_shawnb

And this might be one of the very few times that Input Quantize is your friend:

chrisrobbo

Ah! I get it now, I was getting too smart - I created 6 Cakewalk tracks, assigned one of the string channels to each and the fretboard to do the midi 11-16 , worked like a charm on playing , but playback played only 1 selected track. I need to use a single track with Omni which still retains the midi channel in the midi event but continue to use mono mode for the guitar , much simpler and makes sense plus will work on playback. Can't wait to try this when I get home, thank you very much, a virtual case of beer on its way !