Separating GK-3 hex pickup and normal guitar jack

Started by Bernarada, December 01, 2023, 11:47:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bernarada

Just installed a GK-3 on solid body Godin, and while I read the manual and various posts here, I'm still confused about this thing — though I'll keep experimenting...

I use a Helix floor and use 2 cables going into it. The GK-3 goes into the SY-1000, whose output goes into one of the Helix returns, which has its own path in the Helix. The normal guitar jack goes into the Helix guitar input, which also has its own path. My question is: If the guitar input of the GK-3 is not used, only the 13 pins hex, are the 3 engines/synths of the SY-1000 available?

I guess I get confused because of what is said about plugging the guitar's normal jack into the SY-1000 guitar input, which is said to allow only 1 engine/synth.   
Old Ovation Classical, Larrivée OM-03, Alvarez baritone stringed in Half-Nashville, Washburn J6 archtop with internal RMC pickup, Godin SD with GK-3, Line 6 Helix floor, SY-1000, VG-99, and a little home-studio, running a RME Babyface Pro FS, a pair of KRKs, a Macbook M1 Pro and Logic.

szilard

Quote from: Bernarada on December 01, 2023, 11:47:20 AMI use a Helix floor and use 2 cables going into it. The GK-3 goes into the SY-1000, whose output goes into one of the Helix returns, which has its own path in the Helix. The normal guitar jack goes into the Helix guitar input, which also has its own path. My question is: If the guitar input of the GK-3 is not used, only the 13 pins hex, are the 3 engines/synths of the SY-1000 available?

Yes, but you lose ground and normal input by not connecting the guitar jack to the gk-3. You might try connecting the guitar jack to the gk-3 and then route the normal path to the send on the sy-1000 and connect send to helix for your straight guitar signal.

Quote from: Bernarada on December 01, 2023, 11:47:20 AMI guess I get confused because of what is said about plugging the guitar's normal jack into the SY-1000 guitar input, which is said to allow only 1 engine/synth. 

That doesn't sound right, if you use the guitar input on the sy-1000 you only have the dynamic synth available as a synthesizer, but you can have three of them. Unless I misunderstand what you wrote.

Bernarada

szilard, I don't mind losing the normal guitar in the SY since I don't need it in this scenario. Losing "ground" though sounds like an issue. I'll pay more attention to the difference in the sound between using the GK guitar input and not using it — I've been experimenting with using the guitar jack separately and so far it sounded fine to me.   

"You might try connecting the guitar jack to the gk-3 and then route the normal path to the send on the sy-1000 and connect send to helix for your straight guitar signal." Ah yes, that would work too.

Writing about all this reminds me of people bringing up the issue that routing the guitar's mags through the GK affects their sound. That's interesting if true or to the degree it's true. I'll pay attention to that too.

About the guitar input and dynamic synth, yes I understand that one can use 3 of them, but only that one.
Old Ovation Classical, Larrivée OM-03, Alvarez baritone stringed in Half-Nashville, Washburn J6 archtop with internal RMC pickup, Godin SD with GK-3, Line 6 Helix floor, SY-1000, VG-99, and a little home-studio, running a RME Babyface Pro FS, a pair of KRKs, a Macbook M1 Pro and Logic.