Is it possible to replace a broken saddle of a Peavey AT-200?

Started by diecairo, November 29, 2023, 05:11:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

diecairo

Hello great VG community.
Help please.
It all started with low volume from the sixth string when AT enabled (piezo active).
I did not notice the initial crack and so I raised the gain via software.
But when I thought to add string pressure to the saddle, raising its action a bit by the two screw, I saw the crack. Awful. Awful chinese material. And wrong design too (the two adjusting screw should be at the edge of the saddle, to help support leverage of the string, being rearward like in this case has proven to be fatally dangerous).
Do you think is it possible to detach the single wire and its piezo from the bottom of the broken saddle and solder a new saddle (if I succeed finding one that suits)?
Is there some movement to the piezo wire to pull it out a little more, to make working with it easier?
And if not, could new piezos be attached to the existing wires with an entire new bridge?

I ask if somebody has experience with AT-200 piezo wirings, before I dismantle the entire bridge after removing the strings. Opening the back plate does not reveal anything, the wires coming from the saddles pass through a little round hole in the body wood, not under the bridge and perpendicular to it with no "light" toward it.
I think I'll address a luthier, but I'd like to give him some more elements to operate without risks, I don't think I'll find one familiar with AT-200 specs.
I've got the complete pack on board, so I don't want to dismiss this redhead, nor keefrichardize it ;) (as much as I admire the Human Riff).
Strings are 9-46, not so heavy thus.

Any help appreciated.
Here's the disaster:

You cannot view this attachment.

Elantric

Part Number 35065322-  AT-200 Piezo Bridge Assembly PEAVEY
From a Repair Parts facility in SPAIN - that ships internationally
https://www.audiotestserviciotecnico.com/tienda/35065322-at-200-piezo-bridge-peavey/

diecairo

Thanks a lot Elantric.
Much appreciated.
Did you know that dealer already? Look how much someone had the courage to ask for one saddle only on reverb: https://reverb.com/item/58919829-peavey-peavey-at-200-auto-tune-self-tuning-electric-guitar-piezo-saddle-original-peavey-part
I just ordered the one you showed me, pretty cheap. There was only one available, I think is second hand (someone had the same fracture as mine? yes, by the way:  https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=35208  ).

I hope installation will not be very hard.
I'll have to detach one saddle and its attached piezo wire from this purchase and move it to a different string slot and wire connector. We will see.
Thanks again for your kind attention to my misfortunes.

cags12

Quote from: diecairo on November 30, 2023, 02:58:25 AMThanks a lot Elantric.
Much appreciated.
Did you know that dealer already? Look how much someone had the courage to ask for one saddle only on reverb: https://reverb.com/item/58919829-peavey-peavey-at-200-auto-tune-self-tuning-electric-guitar-piezo-saddle-original-peavey-part
I just ordered the one you showed me, pretty cheap. There was only one available, I think is second hand (someone had the same fracture as mine? yes, by the way:  https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=35208  ).

I hope installation will not be very hard.
I'll have to detach one saddle and its attached piezo wire from this purchase and move it to a different string slot and wire connector. We will see.
Thanks again for your kind attention to my misfortunes.

I have had my fair share of fiddling with the AT-200 and the piezos and bridge. I would normally recommend to upgrade the bridge saddle to Graphtech ghost saddles. They have higher output and you can play with that headroom a bit more. They are better quality etc and more importantly readily available for good price.
But if you want to like for like replace the saddle from those parts you bought, you would need to dismantle the bridge, remove the crimps carefully from the connectors, swap the saddles and the reinstall the crimps into the connector. Easy enough job.

If the bridge comes with all the 6 piezos installed, then you might better of replacing the whole bridge.

diecairo

Thanks a lot cags12 :)
Your advice is precious too.
If you have the time and it is not a problem could you tell me the exact model of the Graphtech ghost saddles you successfully installed on your AT-200? Do you have a link to see them? Do they come with a whole proprietary bridge or by single saddle?
Thanks for your help.

cags12

Quote from: diecairo on November 30, 2023, 05:07:34 AMThanks a lot cags12 :)
Your advice is precious too.
If you have the time and it is not a problem could you tell me the exact model of the Graphtech ghost saddles you successfully installed on your AT-200? Do you have a link to see them? Do they come with a whole proprietary bridge or by single saddle?
Thanks for your help.

Hi, sorry I seem to have missed your reply completely.
I not only changed the saddles but also the bridge itself for a Hipshot and then ordered the saddles with the right spacing. You could reuse the same bridge plate with Graphtech saddles, just measure the spacing of the saddles and order from GRaphtech the ones with the right dimensions. Just bear in mind to avoid crosstalk, the saddles cannot touch to each other.