Mesa Boogie test

Started by Jim Williams, November 29, 2023, 10:16:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Williams

I put together 3 test tracks of a Mark series amp from the SY 1000. the first was my best shot of what I thought sounded good with just the SY 1000 amp modeling. the next was the TONEX in the loop of the SY 1000 and the last one was the Mesa Boogie Mark IIC+ Suite from Nural DSP.

Which one do you prefer... I was shocked when I herd them all back to back.

Everything from modeling to the real deal, my house looks like a music store.

Bill Ruppert

You could very easily EQ them to all sound the same...

Jim Williams

QuoteYou could very easily EQ them to all sound the same...

I just made them up quick and my perception while I was making them was quite different. Each tone sounded good to my ear until I heard them back-to-back. separately they sounded similar but back-to-back they were very different.

Bill Ruppert

Yes Jim ear tone memory is like color memory. It is often very different that we think.
Also perception changes not only at different volume levels but with the more time we spend listening.
I have an A/B pedal on the floor and A/B stuff ALL the time to keep things more even.

The tone perception at different volume levels makes me particular crazy.
Even very small differences in monitor level makes a huge difference.

I have noticed over the past 3-4 years, most gear can sound and feel the same if EQed.
It was NOT that way in the past.

jozart

I prefer the second clip on my iPad speakers :)

However, I think the first clip is the loudest and the third clip is the softest, so the tables are tipped.

Jim Williams

To go back a little bit, I moved away from Boss and Roland for a bit. I moved on to buy some Fractal stuff and I really like my Fractal stuff it is still top shelf, and their customer support is one of the best out there. Lately I have been putting a rig based around my new Boss GM 800 Guitar synth and I wanted to have all the sound of my Axe Fx III with guitar modeling. I got out my SY 1000 but found it lacking in tone, so I put my Boss IR 200 in the FX loop and that improved my tone a lot, but something was still missing. I decided to get a TONEX pedal to get some captured amp sounds to improve my tone. I didn't have much to lose because it came with the MAX software, and I can make my own captures. I had a hard time getting it to be good at first. Make your own captures, other people make some bad ones. I don't have the stuff to capture my amps yet, but I found some decent captures, and this is the next step in that experiment.

The TONEX is in the loop of the SY 1000 using the full signal path of the SY 1000. There is a modeled guitar tuned down 1/2 step and it is a capture of a EVH 5150 with pitch detune, so it is a patch I call Ballance.

aliensporebomb

Listening on headphones the second one has more body - but all of them, to my ears, have far too much treble.  I own a Mesa Studio preamp which is the preamp section of a Mark IIc+ and I think that the clip here of the Neural DSP IIc+ modeling doesn't really sound like it to my ears.  But whenever I record with the Mesa I always use the recording outs to give it a more natural speaker-like sound which tends to round the highs off and make them not quite so ice-picky. 

That's the other thing - I've found that the best overdrive sounds I've gotten from the SY-1000 come from using the quarter inch input!  I think Bill has stated something similar.  I have an idea to use the drive pedal I prefer in the FX loop while using the 13-pin in in an order similar to see if I can get a similar drive quality.  Using that input.

My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

plexified

Jim, I do not want to be a jerk here, but the range of tones from Mesa is ultra Fender through ripped off modded  boutique world and that tone is a bar room tuesday at best for us that don't know. I would regroup and maybe begin with what tone your shooting for so we know what your aiming at.

The Black album was a ripped off Soldano and Santana had a hopped up Princeton and to me the story is more funny if you told me it was a Bronco or a Vibrochamp, in which Ken Fisher did and presented a Vibrochamp that sucked the life out of the future of Soldano. For $1200 back then, and now you can own one for $45K. Your still gonna need Guthrie Jovan to make it sound like a win. 

The bottom line is your volume was all over the map for a controlled listening attempt and the Neural suite was way off. I have that plug in and that was a sample your dial in missed by a Stormie Daniels Mile.

Forget about all the expensive gear, its about the fire. I am going to show how you can have studio tapes, in my case Van Halen RAW studio tapes and the next thing you  hear the laughed at GR-55.

aliensporebomb

Just as an aside: This is the VG-99 emulating my Studio Preamp mid-boosted lead tone.  It's a demo version of one of my pieces.

https://soundcloud.com/aliensporebomb/tetra-demo-mesa-boogie-lead-style

The final version was processed less to where I couldn't tell the difference if it was the Mesa or the VG and I had to actually go back to my track notes to know for certain. 

For a Metallica type rhythm guitar tone a V-shaped EQ works and then roll the highs off a bit.
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.