GM-800 Rigs?

Started by admin_shawnb, October 19, 2023, 09:46:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

arkieboy

Quote from: Nobulusprime on November 28, 2023, 12:31:13 AMHere's the GM800 on my adapted board - The GK-AD is underneath CodeSmarts GX-2 which works well with the GM800You cannot view this attachment.
Very neat.

Do you have a midi in on the GM-800?
Main rig: Barden Hexacaster and Brian Moore i2.13 controllers
Boss SY1000/Boss GKC-AD/Boss GM-800/Laney LFR112

Other relevant gear: Line 6 Helix LT, Roland GR-33, Axon AX100 MkII
Oberheim Matrix 6R, Supernova IIR, EMu E5000, Apple Mainstage, Apple Logic, MOTU M4

whippinpost91850

Jim, this sounds really good, bravo

Nobulusprime

Quote from: arkieboy on November 28, 2023, 01:26:35 AMVery neat.

Do you have a midi in on the GM-800?
Yeah via a a CMI Widi Master which seems to work well.

Unlimbo

Some time later...
A lot of trial & error (R&D) building this writing board, I don't like utilising my computer when I'm writing so this is my sandbox.
In primary mode The SY-1K, GT-1K, GM-800 and Lemondrop all feed into the Bluebox with the Blackbox running as an 8 part looper for all 4 sources using aux sends from the Bluebox. In secondary mode the Blackbox is just a sampler triggered by the GM-800, then I can use the H9 and the GT-1K's loopers.
Currently programming the Luminite Graviton and F10W to accomplish looping 8 parts on the Blackbox in primary mode. There's more sonic wizardry going on under the hood that gives me a versatile palette to forge ideas with.
Yes, I am having lots of fun!
Big big thanks to Robert for his help and a magical box of tricks  :)

20231204-212744" border="0
20231204-212805" border="0
20231204-212816" border="0
Six string synths.

rudi rudolf

Quote from: Unlimbo on December 04, 2023, 02:06:15 PMSome time later...
A lot of trial & error (R&D) building this writing board, I don't like utilising my computer when I'm writing so this is my sandbox.
In primary mode The SY-1K, GT-1K, GM-800 and Lemondrop all feed into the Bluebox with the Blackbox running as an 8 part looper for all 4 sources using aux sends from the Bluebox. In secondary mode the Blackbox is just a sampler triggered by the GM-800, then I can use the H9 and the GT-1K's loopers.
Currently programming the Luminite Graviton and F10W to accomplish looping 8 parts on the Blackbox in primary mode. There's more sonic wizardry going on under the hood that gives me a versatile palette to forge ideas with.
Yes, I am having lots of fun!
Big big thanks to Robert for his help and a magical box of tricks  :)

very interesting, thank you for sharing this! I did not know the primova gearshifter, nor the black and blue box for example...  lots of hints for for my own rig!

giffenf

Here's mine.  I'd been on the fence since the GM-800 came out, wasn't sure it was enough of an upgrade to warrant decommissioning my GR-55, but mostly didn't have the money to buy one, plus a GKC-AD, plus a GK serial cable.  But then Sweetwater had to go and offer financing for 48 months with no interest; $25 a month for 48 months?  Yeah, I can probably make those payments, so I gave in and ordered it.  It got here last Wednesday, and after creating the scenes I need for the band I will be using it in, it came time to mount it on a giggable rig.

I had my GR-55 mounted on a slideout drawer in a little 4U SKB rack case, and pulled the 55 off the shelf, along with the other components I had on there, then rearranged things to make the 800 and the GKC-AD, along with their power supplies and the other stuff, fit.

I re-used some of the Dual Lock I had on the shelf holding the 55 to hold the 800, luckily, the 800 comes with rubber feet you can or can not put on the bottom, so I didn't bother putting those on.  The GKC-AD, however, comes with the rubber feet already installed, so those had to come off.  A few mounting pads and zip ties later, the components were mounted.  I bought the cable and plugs @Elantric suggested from Amazon to make a shorter GK serial cable, since it only needed to be about 10 inches long instead of 15 feet, and it works well with no noise, just like the official GK Serial cable did.

I use the GM-800 with the SY-1000, but the size of the stages we typically play on preclude using a pedalboard bigger than the Pedaltrain 2 Classic.  It has enough room for the SY, the US-20, the Morningstar MC-8, the MIDI merger and Bluetooth adapter, and the one actual pedal I use, a Nocturne Atomic Brain (which lives in the effects loop of the SY-1000).  There isn't even room on the board for the Primova SubSonic Filter, let alone the two FV-500 expression pedals, one I use for volume, the other for string bends and crossfades, so those go on the floor wherever I can fit them.  And it's just as well, as I need the pedals off at an angle, because for reasons unknown (could've been congenital, could've been the result of an injury I had as a small child that never healed correctly, no one knows), my right foot is not parallel to my left foot when I'm standing, it points out to the right, and if the pedals were straight, I'd have to stand on stage facing to the left, which might look a little odd.  But this setup works fine for me.

I made a snake that contains the GK cable, a MIDI cable, and a guitar cable that goes from the floor board to the back of the rack.  The GK goes into the GKC-AD, the MIDI cable goes through the Voodoo Labs Control Switcher and then into GM-800.  I can select what audio goes to my amp by using the MC-8 or the OnSong app on my iPad to send a CC to the Control Switcher, which controls a relay in a little output-switcher box I built to select the desired device.  The snake is permanently attached to the back of the rack case for strain relief, and coils up nicely into the case's back cover.  The output of the output-switcher goes into the input of my amp, a Quilter ToneBlock 202 in FRFR mode in a BlockDock 15 cabinet.  The cabinet has tilt-back legs so I can hear it fine from behind me if we're in a venue that doesn't supports IEMs.

Hopefully this configuration conversion works well, its first gig is on Feb 3rd.  At-home testing results have been good so far.

bobruz

Here is the current rehearsal setup I use with a Helix LT and a mixer.
Case is for Traktor S4 DJ unit.  Sliding shelf is perfect for reasonably sized pedals.

bobruz

gumtown

Looking at trying a few layout options and ideas to make a pedal-board/carry-case,
but I think two layers would do it.

Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

xtian82

Here is my floorboard used for live sessions.
The QuadCortex is the master of this chain, it controls the GM-800 and Gig performer patches using MIDI commands.
An Ipad is connected via Bluetooth to the chain to switch the song patches on the QuadCortex, therefore, on all slave devices.