GM-800 best GK Guitar?

Started by Matteo Barducci, October 04, 2023, 03:44:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matteo Barducci

Just a suggestion request:

I've got a japanese Fender Stratocaster as my main GK guitar that maybe I want to get rid off...

I'm plannig to change guitar for use with the new GK-5 and I really wanted one of these four:

- Epiphone ES-175 2006(I found a 2nd hand one for a very good price);
- Epiphone 150th Anniversary Zephyr (i love the ebony board and fancy features);
- Epiphone 1963 SG Custom Joe Bonamassa (my dirty secret dream);
- Eastwood SG-1 Alembic style (I love the ebony board and neck-thru construction, and I found it 2nd hand)

What do you suggest? I fear a little for hollow bodies...
--

---> Matteo Barducci

Verne

Quote from: Matteo Barducci on October 04, 2023, 03:44:27 AMJust a suggestion request:

I've got a japanese Fender Stratocaster as my main GK guitar that maybe I want to get rid off...

I'm plannig to change guitar for use with the new GK-5 and I really wanted one of these four:

- Epiphone ES-175 2006(I found a 2nd hand one for a very good price);
- Epiphone 150th Anniversary Zephyr (i love the ebony board and fancy features);
- Epiphone 1963 SG Custom Joe Bonamassa (my dirty secret dream);
- Eastwood SG-1 Alembic style (I love the ebony board and neck-thru construction, and I found it 2nd hand)

What do you suggest? I fear a little for hollow bodies...

Those are all pretty different - different scales, build types and pickups - so some idea of what you're looking for would be helpful.

What's the interest in moving to GK-5?

Matteo Barducci

Quote from: Verne on October 04, 2023, 07:53:39 AMThose are all pretty different - different scales, build types and pickups - so some idea of what you're looking for would be helpful.

What's the interest in moving to GK-5?

Because I want to use both GM-800 and SY-1000.
--

---> Matteo Barducci

Elantric

I do it with a GK-3>

Primovasound GX-2 Gearshifter or US-20

Out A > SY-1000

Out B > GMC-AD > GM-800

I use my GK-3 Controls ( S2/S2, GK Vol )

Verne

Quote from: Matteo Barducci on October 05, 2023, 06:44:42 AMBecause I want to use both GM-800 and SY-1000.
The SY-1000 is 13-pin GK-2a/3 only and the GM-800 is GK-5 only from what I can see.

Elantric

Quote from: Verne on October 05, 2023, 08:30:56 AMThe SY-1000 is 13-pin GK-2a/3 only and the GM-800 is GK-5 only from what I can see.

Read the GM-800 FAQ
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=35961.0

A GMC-AD adapter allows any GK13 pin guitar and all its controls to work with GM-800

My tests show no difference between
* GK-3 > GMC-AD > GM-800
or
* GK-5 > GM-800

Both employ identical number of A/D conversions

plexified

That Bonamassa SG is really nice. In fact every guitar he has put out I have checked out and even ordered a few to get low serial numbers. Every time it did not pan out because they are very popular. The last was the Otis V out of the original store. Super long shot, but hey I tried.

The GK pick up would need to be potted if your going on a semi hollow or acoustic. I have no complaints on a potted pick up on a very lively acoustic I use often. I also am not real picky about set ups. I grab and go. But whatever you should decide Good Luck and have fun !

Matteo Barducci

That's because I'm oriented to replace GK-3 with GK-5; it is wax potted, has conversion onboard and have a controller box with a smaller footprint...

I'm aware of S/hollow mainly because ghost triggers and sympatethic resonances of the strings
--

---> Matteo Barducci

Best_Peasant

Quote from: Elantric on October 05, 2023, 06:51:46 AMI do it with a GK-3>

Primovasound GX-2 Gearshifter or ....

Wow, that is a nice bit of kit, some really interesting sounds achievable.