Best way to use GM-800 with GP-10?

Started by ( . )( . ), September 29, 2023, 10:39:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

( . )( . )

I'd like to use the my GC-1 into a GP-10 for the guitar and amp modeling, along with the GM-800 for its synth stuff...usually into a JC-40, but I also have 2 Alto powered speakers.

Can anyone give me advice of the best signal flow and connections? I'm assuming that I'll have to buy one of the new converter boxes to use the GC-1 with the GM-800.

Thanks!

BROCKSTAR

Yes you'll need GKC-AD converter box and serial cable to hook gp-10 and gm-800 together, but if you wanna switch between them via foot you'll need something like the roland US-20.

Witelite

Interesting setup idea but wouldn't you need more to use them together.

13 pin from Guitar into GKC-AD and out to GM800 but that would leave out an input to the GP10

13 Pin from Guitar into GP10 would leave out an input to GM800.

I think you would also need to split the 13 pin signal??

admin_shawnb

admin_shawnb

There is another challenge at the other end of the equation, also though...

If you have 2 (or 3, or more...) sets of stereo outs, how do you drive one set of speakers?

Some of us may need to invest in a small mixer, e.g., a Key-Largo.  Intended to help out keyboard players who usually have multiple keyboards...
https://www.radialeng.com/product/key-largo

Elantric

Quote from: admin_shawnb on September 29, 2023, 01:51:08 PMThere is another challenge at the other end of the equation, also though...

If you have 2 (or 3, or more...) sets of stereo outs, how do you drive one set of speakers?

Some of us may need to invest in a small mixer, e.g., a Key-Largo.  Intended to help out keyboard players who usually have multiple keyboards...
https://www.radialeng.com/product/key-largo

Review mini mixers for pedal boards
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=25039.0

( . )( . )

Thanks to all for the input thus far...

It looks like I need a a US-20 to split the GC-1 output, then run 1 out directly to the GP-10 GK in vía a 13 pin cable, and the other out to a GKC-AD, which feeds the GM-80 input. Does that sound correct? Do I need a special cable from the GKC-AD to the GM-80?

In regards to audio output options, I have a small mixer for the 2 pairs of stereo outs that I could sum down to a stereo pair. I was also thinking of just running each L (mono) output of the GP-10 and GM-80 into each side of the stereo effects return of the JC-40. Wouldn't that work? It's not like I need the preamp section of the amp in this application...but, I could also run each respective mono output from the GP-10 and GM-80 into the front stereo input section of the JC-40. Maybe I should play around with each of these configurations.

Or...I could send the GP-10 outs to the front of the amp, and the GM-80 to the effects return in a 4 cable method (or more for each in stereo) type of setup. It seems like I have a lot of options here, but if anyone has experience with something like this, please let me know what type of routing you think would sound and function the best.

Elantric

Quote from: ( . )( . ) on September 29, 2023, 09:17:40 PMThanks to all for the input thus far...

It looks like I need a a US-20 to split the GC-1 output, then run 1 out directly to the GP-10 GK in vía a 13 pin cable, and the other out to a GKC-AD, which feeds the GM-800 input. Does that sound correct? Do I need a special cable from the GKC-AD to the GM-800?
Best to use a double foil shielded 110 ohm twisted pair cable ( AES/EBU, DMX) with TRS plugs on both ends. Details here
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=36026.0#msg264184

(Why?) TO contain and control the GK Serial high speed clock edge EMI/RF radiated noise invading your adjacent unbalanced audio signals. This type Noise manifests as high hiss and clocks on your GK 13 pin signals  if you elect to just use a cheap common TRS to TRS cable

QuoteIn regards to audio output options, I have a small mixer for the 2 pairs of stereo outs that I could sum down to a stereo pair. I was also thinking of just running each L (mono) output of the GP-10 and GM-80 into each side of the stereo effects return of the JC-40. Wouldn't that work?

Yes that would work- however  many GP-10 & GM-800 patches have glorious stereo sound, using a small stereo mixer ahead of your stereo amplifier  showcases their capability

AAT65

Quote from: ( . )( . ) on September 29, 2023, 09:17:40 PM?

I was also thinking of just running each L (mono) output of the GP-10 and GM-80 into each side of the stereo effects return of the JC-40. Wouldn't that work? It's not like I need the preamp section of the amp in this application...but, I could also run each respective mono output from the GP-10 and GM-80 into the front stereo input section of the JC-40.
I think this would work fine unless you use the JC-40 chorus. When you use both inputs of a Jazz Chorus I think it then runs true stereo throughout - so when you turn the chorus on one channel is left dry and the other gets the chorus effect.