Best pickup choice for minimalistic guitar build

Started by GCaturano, September 19, 2023, 06:19:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GCaturano

Hi all,
I hope this is the right location for this message: forgive me (and of course move it) if it's not.
I am finalizing the design of a new guitar that is built to be light, mninimalistic and oriented to synth rock.
It's headless, multiscale, hi-tech and it will only feature one hexaphonic pickup, no classic pickup whatsoever.
I have several guitars with GK-3 and a custom build with a GK-3 kit, but I was wondering if I could get better results by switching to something else.
What is important for me:
  • still having electric guitar sounds like Strat and LP (it could happen through COSM models via my VG-99 or SY-1000 or using other hardware)
  • having as much flexibility as possible with synths
  • being able to simulate acoustics
  • good MIDI tracking is a plus

My initial choices would be:
  • - the usual GK-3 kit
  • - the new GK-5
  • - a piezo bridge

Less crosstalk would be ideal, not only for alt tunings, but especially because I use a lot of synths.

Sleek look and minimal width are important to me. I can hide the box or electronics in a cavity behind the guitar.
Routing, luthier's work and electronics are not an issue: it's going to be built by professional, expert people.

I have read many things here and there, and I rememeber there's also a divided pickup  with it's own IR-like simulator, but I can't recall the name of that thing.

Any advice would be great. Thanks!
Ciao,

GiO

pasha811

Many things at the same time to consider here.
  • Boss has switched to new technology but now it works only with GK800 without conversion
  • GK3-Kits are hard discounted now
  • Adding converters (GK3 to GK5) you can use both old tech and new tech with a GK5 or a GK3 but it gets expensive very soon
  • If synth means SY1000 than stay on GK3 and wait
  • If synth means GM800 than GK5 looks better

Hope this helps, my view not necessarily perfect let's see what owners of GK5 and GM800 suggest (I own only a VG99)
Listen to my music at :  http://alonetone.com/pasha/

gumtown

Quotestill having electric guitar sounds like Strat and LP (it could happen through COSM models via my VG-99 or SY-1000 or using other hardware)
having as much flexibility as possible with synths
being able to simulate acoustics
the GK-5 is not going to give on guitar controls, and will also require the GKC-DA converter box to run legacy modeler/synths.
The GK-3 or GK Kit are still the best options for now, but is likely to change to something "GK new" in the future.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Brak(E)man

I just had a similar guitar built.
I would not go for anything else but GK3 at this point.
And as gumtown pointed out the GK5 is missing several imo important features and requires a converter box for SY etc.
I would not recommend piezo mainly due to crosstalk but also I think it's harder to get the best instrument modeling from piezo.

Also I'd never leave out the normal PU, since GP-10 , (also vg88 and 99) it's become a vital part in the sounds I'm programming and playing along the modeling and synth sounds.
swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch

GCaturano

Thank you all for your answers.
I already use a GK-only guitar, so I'm familiar with the trade off of not having a real pickup and I'm fine with that.
I would go for the GK-5, but, since I use an SY-1000 into a Quad Cortex, having a D/A converter would mean: A/D in the guitar, D/A in the box, A/D in the SY, D/A out of the SY-1000, A/D in the QC and another conversion... that's a lot of A/D D/A...

Not anybody remembers that other pickup I was talking about?
It was made of six tiny blocks and had an external box to model the tone.

Ciao,

GiO

Elantric