GM-800 WISH LIST

Started by BROCKSTAR, August 12, 2023, 03:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BROCKSTAR

And another wish for the wish list... More than 16 assigns... I'm already using 16 and want to do a few more things via midi controller etc.

admin_shawnb

STRING MUTE should have a STRING MUTE ALL, instead of making you blow 6 assigns per part.  This should be at the scene level & at the part level.

This would add a lot of flexibility when playing over holds.

One example: Strum a chord, hold it, & then solo over it.  CHANGE the chord, hold THAT, & solo over it.  Rinse & Repeat. 

HOLD1 lets you change the chord that is being held.  But...  your solos mess that up.  To fix, you can add an assign to mute those strings.  But you can burn thru assigns very quickly that way. 

Today, it's very easy to solo over a hold.  What's not so easy is to be able to periodically change that held note/chord without losing continuity.

arkieboy

Quote from: admin_shawnb on October 02, 2023, 10:10:32 AMSTRING MUTE should have a STRING MUTE ALL, instead of making you blow 6 assigns per part.  This should be at the scene level & at the part level.

This would add a lot of flexibility when playing over holds.

One example: Strum a chord, hold it, & then solo over it.  CHANGE the chord, hold THAT, & solo over it.  Rinse & Repeat. 

HOLD1 lets you change the chord that is being held.  But...  your solos mess that up.  To fix, you can add an assign to mute those strings.  But you can burn thru assigns very quickly that way. 

Today, it's very easy to solo over a hold.  What's not so easy is to be able to periodically change that held note/chord without losing continuity.
Doesn't the 'hold type' parameter on a part do that - page 4 of the Parameter Guide (it does note you need to set alt-tune type to 'user' to enable the parameters)
Main rig: Barden Hexacaster and Brian Moore i2.13 controllers
Boss SY1000/Boss GKC-AD/Boss GM-800/Laney LFR112

Other relevant gear: Line 6 Helix LT, Roland GR-33, Axon AX100 MkII
Oberheim Matrix 6R, Supernova IIR, EMu E5000, Apple Mainstage, Apple Logic, MOTU M4

admin_shawnb

Quote from: arkieboy on October 03, 2023, 01:58:49 AMDoesn't the 'hold type' parameter on a part do that - page 4 of the Parameter Guide (it does note you need to set alt-tune type to 'user' to enable the parameters)

Yes, but each has its quirks, though...

Hold1 let's you change the chords.  But if you solo, those notes will affect the held chord.

Hold2 prevents the notes from altering the chord, but then you cannot change the chord.

This is true when trying to use the GM-800 for both the holds & also the solo.

Note this is ALSO true when using a US-20 splitter, and trying to solo with another GK device, eg, a SY-1000 or VG-99.  (Though the Primova devices handle this better...)

BROCKSTAR

Quote from: BROCKSTAR on October 02, 2023, 09:17:02 AMOk another for the wish list... allow us to use hold functions via MIDI CC#

I emailed roland this

"Please tell the developers of the gm-800 to allow us to use midi cc# for hold assignments in the CONTROL ASSIGN section of the gm-800. I don't know why you would leave that out! I wanna be able to use hold with my midi controller. Please provide this in a firmware update!"

Highly suggest others do the same for this and other things they want or for bug fixes!
https://www.roland.com/backstage/

Got a reply back from Austin at roland...

"Brock,

Sorry to hear you're having issues.
At this time, the PART HOLD function for a PART 1-4 can not be controlled via MIDI.
This might be due to latency and control issue.
We can submit a request for the feature on your behalf, but can not guarantee this feature can or will be implemented in a future firmware update. Furthermore, we are here for operational support of your product only and can not take feature requests at this time.
You can set the HOLD function to work off of an analog CTL 3,4 or 5,6 in the meantime as a workaround.
We appreciate your understanding and cooperation. "

"can not take feature requests at this time."
So basically never? So if they don't take requests, then who the heck can we tell... "rolls eyes"

Elantric

Quote from: BROCKSTAR on October 05, 2023, 08:33:01 AMGot a reply back from Austin at roland...

"Brock,

Sorry to hear you're having issues.
At this time, the PART HOLD function for a PART 1-4 can not be controlled via MIDI.
This might be due to latency and control issue.
We can submit a request for the feature on your behalf, but can not guarantee this feature can or will be implemented in a future firmware update. Furthermore, we are here for operational support of your product only and can not take feature requests at this time.
You can set the HOLD function to work off of an analog CTL 3,4 or 5,6 in the meantime as a workaround.
We appreciate your understanding and cooperation. "

"can not take feature requests at this time."
So basically never? So if they don't take requests, then who the heck can we tell... "rolls eyes"

Ill escalate our GM-800  wish list to higher level contacts at Boss

They need a new support auto reply script too.

BROCKSTAR

Quote from: Elantric on October 05, 2023, 08:40:53 AMIll escalate our GM-800  wish list to higher level contacts at Boss

They need a new support auto reply script too.

I wrote austin back asking where can we send requests then and he wrote back

"Brock,

There is no place to post feature requests that Roland has curated at this time.
Please post all V Guitar related feature requests to the V Guitar forum.
We appreciate your understanding and cooperation."

BROCKSTAR

Future request for when loading sound packs from the usb stick. The right side of the screen already has a "load / select all" feature by pressing knob 3 or 4 down for 2 or 3 seconds and it'll put a check mark by all tones loaded.... However when there is no INIT TONES on the left in the target box, there's no load / select all feature for that side, so you have to manually put a check mark by each tone on that side, so I'd like a load / select all feature for the target area to make things faster when loading new sound packs.

arkieboy

For my money the top wish list item has to be enabling sysex to address fundamental part editing in the same way as for other Zen-CORE synths.  An editor would be lovely, but the community can step up there.  I wouldn't expect it to be desperately difficult to do either - it already exists on other Zen-CORE synths and the whole point about the framework is to allow code to be shared between different products.

I've been doing a wide range of edits on Zenology tones from things as simple as building in inherent control assigns, switching off partials (in the part itself), and I have a couple of sounds programmed from the ground up on the INIT sound template, and I'm coming to really like the synth.  It's frustrating not to be able to get in there and deep-edit a part insitu as part of a scene.
Main rig: Barden Hexacaster and Brian Moore i2.13 controllers
Boss SY1000/Boss GKC-AD/Boss GM-800/Laney LFR112

Other relevant gear: Line 6 Helix LT, Roland GR-33, Axon AX100 MkII
Oberheim Matrix 6R, Supernova IIR, EMu E5000, Apple Mainstage, Apple Logic, MOTU M4

Elantric

Gumtown wrote:

I am loving the feature of being able to play tones from two sources, GK and midi in,
 but my only feature wish for a firmware update is to be able to select the "Source input" options "per patch".
Maybe an Arpeggiator (sequencer?) would have been a handy option too.

admin_shawnb

Another vote for an arpeggiator here.  Especially given that the other synths in this family have that very-cool-looking I-Arpeggio function.  Sure feels like it's within grasp somehow... 

xtian82

You can do it easily using Gig performer.
I have developed it in order to send the MIDI notes from "Midi Guitar 2" to the GM-800
Here is a Global Rackspace script to do it:

Function retSysEx(p1 : Integer, p2 : Integer, p3 : Integer, p4 : Integer, p5 : Integer) Returns SysexMessage
  var
    mySysEx  : SysexMessage
    myChkSum : Integer

mySysEx := # F0 41 10 00 00 00 00 26 12 00 00 00 00 00 00 F7
  SM_ChangeValue(mySysEx,  9, p1)
  SM_ChangeValue(mySysEx, 10, p2)
  SM_ChangeValue(mySysEx, 11, p3)
  SM_ChangeValue(mySysEx, 12, p4)
  SM_ChangeValue(mySysEx, 13, p5)
  myChkSum = 128 - ((p1+p2+p3+p4+p5) % 128)
  SM_ChangeValue(mySysEx, 14, myChkSum)

result = mySysEx
End

On WidgetValueChanged (newValue : Double) from MG2Switch
   if newValue == 0.0 then
     // Change MIDI channel Rx per Part 1 to 4 -> 11 to 14
     SendSysexExternal(MidiOutST1, retSysEx(0, 0, 6, 1, 10))
     SendSysexExternal(MidiOutST1, retSysEx(0, 0, 6, 2, 11))
     SendSysexExternal(MidiOutST1, retSysEx(0, 0, 6, 3, 12))
     SendSysexExternal(MidiOutST1, retSysEx(0, 0, 6, 4, 13))
     // Change Note source to GK In
     SendSysexExternal(MidiOutST1, retSysEx(0, 0, 6, 8, 0))

else
     // Change MIDI channel Rx per Part 1 to 4 -> 1
     SendSysexExternal(MidiOutST1, retSysEx(0, 0, 6, 1, 0))
     SendSysexExternal(MidiOutST1, retSysEx(0, 0, 6, 2, 0))
     SendSysexExternal(MidiOutST1, retSysEx(0, 0, 6, 3, 0))
     SendSysexExternal(MidiOutST1, retSysEx(0, 0, 6, 4, 0))
     // Change Note source to USB
     SendSysexExternal(MidiOutST1, retSysEx(0, 0, 6, 8, 2))
   end
End

Elantric

Quote from: admin_shawnb on February 09, 2024, 07:42:47 AMWhat would be most helpful on Roland Cloud would be the ability to view or download the tone list & the waveform list before purchase. 

You get a nice .pdf after purchase. 

The little demos are nice when looking at an expansion pack, but, incomplete.

E.g., is there even a sax in EXZ005? 

It's nice to see there are 522 waveforms.  But what are they?