BOSS GK-5, GK-5B - SERIAL GK divided pickup

Started by Elantric, July 22, 2023, 10:43:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gumtown

Quote from: machuero on February 17, 2024, 10:45:34 PMWould it be possible to fit the GK-5 system into one of the older Fender/Roland GK ready Strats?

Possible with some modifications ? yes.
But there is currently no provision for using GK Volume, S1/S2 switches, or carrying the normal pickup in the GK Serial (GK-5).
Maybe later this year Boss will release a GK-5-Kit and include the missing items.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

gumbo

To take gumtown's comments to the next step...a quicker, and easier way to drive a serial synth is probably just to buy the Boss A-2-D box, and leave your R-R Strat the way it is...

...just saying..

Cheers,
Peter
Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...

domjammoo

Quote from: gumtown on January 22, 2024, 03:30:43 AM(My opinion FWIW)
1. the GK pickup cable should be fine in close proximity to the normal guitar circuitry.

2. copper shielding must be grounded, and would best be grounded to the GK-5 1/4" jack socket ground and not connected the the rest of the guitar grounding.

3 removing the wiring pins in the GK pickup cable might be very difficult without a correct ejection tool, I would turn the plug sideways and drill the guitar body hole just a little bit larger to fit the sideways connector plug through.

Hi all (and @gumtown) - so I've got started on this.  Deep breath. 

1. I've hacked the cavities into my guitar, see photos (note that the 'organic' edges of the routed cavity are by design; the alternative would be rigging up fences across the guitar to get a straight cut in four directions, and I figured each time I clamp something to the guitar is another opportunity to scratch it).  You may be able to see that I've drilled a hole through from the main pickup cavity down and across at an angle so it emerges into the cavity on the back
2. I'm going to fully line the normal pickup cavities with copper shielding, and the new cavity, and 'plugging' the hole through to the pickups with copper sheet.  I can probably double up the lining in the new cavity.  My backup plan is to go to 2mm thick solid copper sheet if I'm getting noise issues
3. I'm installing one of these jack plates, in gold, with a TRS jack socket, on the edge of the guitar by the strap button. I'm running a short bit of AES/EBU shielded cable from the socket to a right angled jack plug into the GK-5 (which I've taken out of it's casing).  Plan to heatshrink all of the connections, and around the jack socket. 

Question on grounding for the copper shielding:  will the fact that the copper shielding has a good connection to the jack plate itself provide adequate grounding? Would rather not run a wire from the shielding to the pin of the socket due to the heatshrink point above.

Opinions gratefully received.  Also if anyone else can see major flaws in my fiendish plan please let me, but oh wait I've already cut the massive hole in my guitar.  Never mind :)

Photo album here, I'll add more as I progress.

user removed

"3. I'm installing one of these jack sockets, in gold, on the edge of the guitar by the strap button. I'm running a short bit of AES/EBU shielded cable from the socket to a right angled jack plug into the GK-5 (which I've taken out of it's casing).  Plan to heatshrink all of the connections, and around the jack socket."

This is the jack you linked to: https://northwestguitars.co.uk/products/rectangular-curved-jack-plate-1-4-jack-for-electric-guitar?variant=44454012911890

I hope that is not the jack you are using--that is a 1/4 inch mono jack. You will need a stereo jack to transmit the serial data.

domjammoo

Thanks, no my mistake, I have purchased the plate only (this one) and have purchased the jack socket separately.  I've gone for one of these for the jack socket

Pure Tone Full Contact Stereo 1/4 Output Jack

I've updated the link in my original post.  Thanks!

gumtown

It is always a bit hard to look at pictures of nice guitars being drilled out, but looks like a good job done there !!
Thin copper foil is adequate to stop EMI, but make sure you have plenty of insulation around the circuit board, don't want to short out any components.

Grounding should be from one point only, and the jack plate is good.

The difficult part will be to decide on the grounding for the bridge and strings, this also can only be grounded from one source, and you will have to decide if you use the normal pickups regularly, the bridge can remain grounded through the normal input jack (which ideally should run its separate ground from the GK), or if not using normal pickups, grounded through the GK.
The possibility of a ground link switch could be added if required, but that is one of the things to find out after initial trials to see where things are at for noise.

Keep us posted on your journey !!  :)
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Elantric

Let us know your progress

Myself, I probably would have used this type TRS jack and coordinate Mounting access to the GK-5 PCB

https://www.amazon.com/Ancable-Threaded-Replacement-contact-Electric/dp/B0BM35B5RX

kevorkian

Quote from: Elantric on March 21, 2024, 12:12:18 PMLet us know your progress

Myself, I probably would have used this type TRS jack and coordinate Mounting access to the GK-5 PCB

Are you saying you would desolder the jack from the PCB and wire it directly to an external one?

I have to admit that I quite like the performance of the GK-5 and I'm considering doing an internal installation similar to this as I figure that an hypothetical internal GK-5 kit likely wouldn't be significantly different in size.

domjammoo

Hi everyone, thanks for responses.  I can guarantee that when I've finished, I'll think of a better way to have done it.  What I found with the woodworking is that it's fairly mindbending to work out exactly how things will work in three dimensions until you get going (particularly when drilling from front to back at an angle).  The way I've drilled it out, it is possible to solder up the right angled jack plug to the the jack socket pre-installation, as the hole in the bottom of the routed cavity is big enough to feed the whole jack socket through.  So I can measure it exactly to length, create the socket-to-jack cable, shield it, and then feed it into place.  I thought about a bunch of other solutions but the thought of doing the soldering in a very confined space put me off.

I did notice that on the PCB, if you didn't want to attempt de-soldering the socket, it might be possible just to solder onto the same connections that the existing socket joins on to.

domjammoo

Quote from: gumtown on March 21, 2024, 12:09:14 PMIt is always a bit hard to look at pictures of nice guitars being drilled out, but looks like a good job done there !!
Thin copper foil is adequate to stop EMI, but make sure you have plenty of insulation around the circuit board, don't want to short out any components.

Grounding should be from one point only, and the jack plate is good.

The difficult part will be to decide on the grounding for the bridge and strings, this also can only be grounded from one source, and you will have to decide if you use the normal pickups regularly, the bridge can remain grounded through the normal input jack (which ideally should run its separate ground from the GK), or if not using normal pickups, grounded through the GK.
The possibility of a ground link switch could be added if required, but that is one of the things to find out after initial trials to see where things are at for noise.

Keep us posted on your journey !!  :)

Hi thanks, very useful. 

So my thinking on grounds - this might be an actual benefit of the two-cable requirement. In effect I should have two completely different circuits  - the GK5 pickup, which is air-gapped from the strings; plastic insulated cable runs through the body to my new cavity inc. copper shielding, into PCB, everything grounded to the new jack plate.  None of this electrically connected to the 'traditional' guitar wiring.  In the main pickup cavity, again copper shielded, everything grounded to the volume pot and out via the analogue jack ground.

Am I right in thinking that this is functionally identical to how the GK-5 works normally when operating a two cable method?  Practically all I have done is move the GK-5 into the guitar, without connecting it to the existing guitar electrics, by the time it hits the serial cable out of the guitar it should be acting in exactly the same way.  Thoughts?

kevorkian

Quote from: domjammoo on March 21, 2024, 12:26:16 PMI did notice that on the PCB, if you didn't want to attempt de-soldering the socket, it might be possible just to solder onto the same connections that the existing socket joins on to.

I've done that in the past (soldered to the rear connections of a jack mounted to a PCB) and it's is where I was headed here but I haven't seen a photo of the back of the GK-5 PCB. Could you possibly post one to this thread as an attachment?

domjammoo

Have added a bunch more photos to the album including photos of front and back of PCB.  Are the soldering points on the front (top), though? Those three lumps of solder.

Also - can someone please help - how on earth do you include an inline picture in this forum without putting the photo on a filesharing site and linking via url?  Or is that what you need to do every time?

Stratocaster Upgrades Photo Album

kevorkian

Quote from: domjammoo on March 21, 2024, 01:04:15 PMHave added a bunch more photos to the album including photos of front and back of PCB.  Are the soldering points on the front (top), though? Those three lumps of solder.

Also - can someone please help - how on earth do you include an inline picture in this forum without putting the photo on a filesharing site and linking via url?  Or is that what you need to do every time?

I'm not sure if you are able to attach files if you use "quick reply" - I usually click "reply" and then scroll down and click "quote" next to a given post if need be. Within the "Post reply" frame, at the bottom of the textbox, you should see an option to click to attach or drag in files.

kevorkian

Quote from: domjammoo on March 21, 2024, 01:04:15 PMHave added a bunch more photos to the album including photos of front and back of PCB.  Are the soldering points on the front (top), though? Those three lumps of solder.

Thanks for the images. I realize that the photos I've been looking at here are actually of the bottom of the PCB. So the contact points that I see next to the jack appear to be easy enough to desolder, hopefully allowing me to remove the jack completely. I ordered another GK-5 to give this a try.

Elantric

domjammoo

Quote from: kevorkian on March 21, 2024, 03:13:50 PMThanks for the images. I realize that the photos I've been looking at here are actually of the bottom of the PCB. So the contact points that I see next to the jack appear to be easy enough to desolder, hopefully allowing me to remove the jack completely. I ordered another GK-5 to give this a try.

Yeah would be very interested in how you get on.  My woodworking is fine, my electronics / soldering:  not so much.  Bit scared of frying the PCB so happy for someone else to lead the way!  :)

domjammoo

Quote from: Elantric on March 21, 2024, 04:04:22 PMHow to post pics
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=4823.0

Awesome, thanks @Elantric.  I did try and read the faqs, I promise  ;D

(Also I read your bio.  I think i'm definitely in the right place for advice on this topic or, you know, any satellite launches I might be planning) 8)

Elantric

domjammoo

Let me know if they need any wooden satellites

Elantric

Quote from: domjammoo on March 23, 2024, 04:31:39 AMLet me know if they need any wooden satellites

Ive worked on plenty of those in 1970s. Used as mockups to sell the program to investors,, military