New Boss GM-800 synth and GK-5 pickup?

Started by seriousfun, July 18, 2023, 12:52:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seriousfun

Roland GP-16 with FC-100 MKII, EV-5 and FS-6, Roland GI-20, Roland GK-2A, Roland GR-09 (dead), Roland GR-55, Roland VG-88 (on loan to me), Yamaha MFC-1, TC Helicon Voicelive 3 Extreme with Switch 6, Jam Origin Midi Guitar 2, SQuest MIDIQuest

seriousfun

You know as much as I do!

Stick-on Roland pickup with a 1/4" output? Medium-box 1/4" gk-input synth?
Roland GP-16 with FC-100 MKII, EV-5 and FS-6, Roland GI-20, Roland GK-2A, Roland GR-09 (dead), Roland GR-55, Roland VG-88 (on loan to me), Yamaha MFC-1, TC Helicon Voicelive 3 Extreme with Switch 6, Jam Origin Midi Guitar 2, SQuest MIDIQuest

giffenf

I just got that Sweetwater ad, and the link doesn't go to anything but existing products.  Inquiring minds want to know!

BROCKSTAR

Hmm GM-800? I'm guessing GM = general midi, so maybe a gr-55 killer? What is going on with the new pickup though?

aliensporebomb

GK-5?   Super small add-on GK pickup?  New GM synth?  VERY interesting!  I wonder if possibly this was leaked too early as I don't see ANYTHING anywhere except here about this.
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

BROCKSTAR

yes sweetwater leaked it accidentally earlier.. then deleted it. So may come out tomorrow or in few days or weeks.

BROCKSTAR

I sent boss a message on instagram saying "WE KNOW, SO RELEASE IT ALREADY!" lol

BROCKSTAR

Just seen the AD in my other email that I just checked and screen shot a different view of it...

BROCKSTAR

I'm intrigued by the PART 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 section and the R button. Wtf are these for....

Also notice the jacks on the back? No GK 13 input where it says GK...

LinzHenderson

Quote from: BROCKSTAR on July 18, 2023, 05:13:20 PMI'm intrigued by the PART 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 section and the R button. Wtf are these for....

Also notice the jacks on the back? No GK 13 input where it says GK...

Yeah. I'm leaning towards TRS jack for all 6 strings in a digital signal. I'm hoping there'll be an internal kit, too, although it looks easy enough to hack (I MUST stop hacking my gear!!! lol).

mpardee

Maybe the Gk5 is wireless...and the 1/4 to goes the jack on the guitar for full on wireless?  That'd be cool!!

gumtown

Maybe they have read my suggestions to make a wired/digitized GK,
 or maybe this is wirelss,
 and adding samples to the PCM library.

the screws above the word 'LEVEL" look like the right distance for a regular 13 pin GK plug.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

arkieboy

Interesting pic, Brockstar

I don't think it's general midi because the GM spec is quite tight and patch 1 in general midi ought to be a piano

Lots of Roland synths have had four parts/partials going all the way back to the D50.  I hope that this means this unit is of the GR line rather than the SY line.  The SY branding is also quite strong at the moment which argues this ought to be something different.  They might have changed GR to GM to accent the 'no 13 pin' nature.  GM = Guitar Module?

Form factor is nice.  Looks like it will happily live on a rack tray.

I do hope there is some affordable convertor between the old and new GK formats.  I'm currently running a GR33 alongside my SY1000 which takes up lots of floor space.  Would be lovely to update the 33, but unless there's a convertor I'll be stuck because the SY is just too good.

The 'r' button intrigues me.  It's not a lit button, so it isn't a state thing in a patch that can be changed. 'Record'? - you'd want to operate a looper with your foot, surely so I think not.

I'm sure I'll have other thoughts ...

Exciting

Main rig: Barden Hexacaster and Brian Moore i2.13 controllers
Boss SY1000/Boss GKC-AD/Boss GM-800/Laney LFR112

Other relevant gear: Line 6 Helix LT, Roland GR-33, Axon AX100 MkII
Oberheim Matrix 6R, Supernova IIR, EMu E5000, Apple Mainstage, Apple Logic, MOTU M4

arkieboy

... or 'GM' could simply be 'guitar modeller' and repackage that part of the SY in a smaller form factor.

Oberheim Matrix 6R, Supernova IIR, EMu E5000, Apple Mainstage, Apple Logic, MOTU M4

CodeSmart

I'd be very surprised if there's no VOL knob on the "unseen" sides of the GK-5 since it would be very limiting not having possibility to roll-back the volume.
Also I don't think it's wireless because why have a 1/4 jack labeled GK if it's wireless? I think it's a digital transmission with TRS cable (ground, DC, digital com).

A TS (normal guitar cable) using a DC carrier voltage and digital transmission on top of it, is a more problematic design noise-wise but also from legal standpoint. The DC (6-14V? at abt. 40-80mA) from the GM-800 plugged into something NOT GK-5 could potentially cause harm, however with a TRS the DC (at ring) just gets safely connected to ground.

A pity if there's no way to also carry the regular pickup down the same digital cable. I'm not fancying a two-cable approach.

I've been wrong before :D let's waaaait and see.
But I got more gear than I need...and I like it!

arkieboy

Quote from: CodeSmart on July 19, 2023, 05:46:30 AMI'd be very surprised if there's no VOL knob on the "unseen" sides of the GK-5 since it would be very limiting not having possibility to roll-back the volume.
Also I don't think it's wireless because why have a 1/4 jack labeled GK if it's wireless? I think it's a digital transmission with TRS cable (ground, DC, digital com).

A TS (normal guitar cable) using a DC carrier voltage and digital transmission on top of it, is a more problematic design noise-wise but also from legal standpoint. The DC (6-12V at abt. 40-80mA) from the GM-800 plugged into something NOT GK-5 could potentially cause harm, however with a TRS the DC (at ring) just gets safely connected to ground.

A pity if there's no way to also carry the regular pickup down the same digital cable. I'm not fancying a two-cable approach.

I've been wrong before :D let's waaaait and see.

The single jack (visible) on the guitar wart is what leads me to think it's wireless - not having the regular signal will severely limit interest in the product.  But I agree - what's with the GK logo if this is the case!  Plenty of room for a minijack guitar input on the blind side of the wart ...

You've convinced me about TRS though :-)

Matteo Barducci

"Serial GK Interface"

Boss BGK-30 Serial GK cable

"Boss BGK-30 Serial GK Cable, Serial GK cable with straight 1/4-inch TRS connectors; delivers optimum performance with BOSS guitar synthesizer products using the Serial GK Interface; Premium BOSS construction features include braided shielding, 24K gold-plated connectors, and a woven outer jacket for tangle-free use; Compatible products: GM-800, GK-5, GK-5B, GKC-AD, GKC-DA, Length: 9 m (30 feet)"

They even mentioned the GK-5B for bass and GKC-AD and GKC-DA, which means devices for converting the new standard to old 13-pin products
--

---> Matteo Barducci

Matteo Barducci

to @admin : please unify the threads with the other one I started
--

---> Matteo Barducci

arkieboy

Quote from: Bluesbird on July 19, 2023, 07:01:47 AMMy guess is the naming convention derives from the Roland GM-70 guitar to midi controller but with the addition of onboard sounds. I can't help but think that it mixes PCM with SY type synthesis because of its close appearance to the SY-300, but who knows.
I used to love my GM-70.  I still think it was the most reliable midi conversion I've had out of a Roland unit.  But I'd completely forgotten about it in this context.

Good spot!

Matteo Barducci

The new protocol starts definitely with an A/D conversion to bring the hex signal into the digital realm.
--

---> Matteo Barducci

HAMERMAN409

Quote from: Matteo Barducci on July 19, 2023, 07:20:06 AMCompatible products: GM-800, GK-5, GK-5B, GKC-AD, GKC-DA

Nice detective work - it's very exciting to see some new developments. A TRS cable instead of a 13 pin cable is huge!

Matteo Barducci

Quote from: HAMERMAN409 on July 19, 2023, 07:46:51 AMNice detective work - it's very exciting to see some new developments. A TRS cable instead of a 13 pin cable is huge!

Boss is going to use an (hopefully) improved version of the Time Divison Multiplexing technique seen on the Gibson Dark Fire and derivatives starting on 2009. The RIP box that came with that guitar had a similar transport protocol using a TRS cable.
--

---> Matteo Barducci

aliensporebomb

Well, the other thing, it looks like a "normal" quarter inch stereo cable in appearance which to a lot of non GK guitarists will like. 

The new GK-5 looks smaller and less obtrusive.  Another thought: if there are adapter products to allow for use with existing 13-pin GK products that's also good.  Face it, quarter inch format cables are industry standard and this might make using GK products less cumbersome on stage.

No wonder there hasn't been an SY-1000 update since last October.  They must have been working on this for quite a long time. 

This also will potentially lessen confusion - no more "midi cable" confusion because it looks like a standard stereo guitar cable.  Electronically it isn't but, appearance is everything and sometimes a more durable form factor makes more sense for live performance.
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

ILIADE

Quote from: HAMERMAN409 on July 19, 2023, 07:46:51 AMNice detective work - it's very exciting to see some new developments. A TRS cable instead of a 13 pin cable is huge!
Hopefully they've also worked on something to use our existing boxes (SY-1000, GR55, GP-10, etc) with the new GK-5 pickup...

Matteo Barducci

I guess a SGKI equipped guitar with a single TRS jack output is in the cooking into the BOSS R&D labs...
--

---> Matteo Barducci