Audio Player delay in starting

Started by viramundo, April 05, 2011, 08:53:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viramundo

Just had the GR-55 a few days now & am slowly getting to grips with it but one thing that has disappointed me me is the delay between pressing play on the unit & the track starting while in audio player mode.

One thing I really dislike when seeing or hearing a performance that includes backing tracks is a "count in" that tells the listener "hey I'm using a backing track here" straight away & hence that often becomes the overwhelming first impression.
As a result my backing tracks have no count ins & most of the time I do a little unaccompanied intro before bringing in the backing, in tempo.
Using my JamMan pedal I can bring in these backings right on the money, not so with the GR-55's audio player.

So it looks like the JamMan will still have to accompany me to performances when I was so looking forward to to the GR-55 replacing all my other pedals.

A minor complaint you might think & maybe I should have expected this but my 1st impressions are that the GR-55 tries to hard to be all things to all men so to speak when it may have been better off concentrating on doing a few tasks really well.

vakmere

The Space Shuttle can take you into orbit but wont be any good to go to the grocery store in. The GR55 wont do it all as you and I are finding out. There are some goods and some bads about it.

banditt11

I use backing tracks too. Try trimming the start of the track so there is no silent spot. Worked for me.
Frank Betts
2012 American Strat
Gibson double cut faded guitar
Peavey Classic 30 tube amp
Peavey Bandit Special
ME-70 foot pedal
GR-55 Roland synth
www.frontcentermusician.blogspot.com

viramundo

Quote from: banditt11 on April 05, 2011, 12:44:15 PM
I use backing tracks too. Try trimming the start of the track so there is no silent spot. Worked for me.

I'll check but I'm pretty sure there are no silent spots on my backing tracks, I usually trim them right to the start of the sound on Soundforge, I'll trimming a bit more though.

gumtown

I have no issue with immediate playing of tracks on the GR-55 *.wav file player.
play, pause, play, rewind, forward, play, it all happens with immediate response (for me).. :)
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

viramundo

Quote from: gumtown on April 05, 2011, 02:17:58 PM
I have no issue with immediate playing of tracks on the GR-55 *.wav file player.
play, pause, play, rewind, forward, play, it all happens with immediate response (for me).. :)

Mmm interesting, I wonder why I am then?
If I pause the track then resume the response is then instant for me too, just not from the beginning of the track, do you have count ins on yours?

I'll try trimming more off the starts & see how I get on but it's odd that these are exactly the same tracks that start instantly when used on my JamMan.

I wonder if the various usb sticks could produce different results?
I'll try with a selection of others I have.

piriolirio

Viramundo, you're right. There's an annoying starting delay in the audio player. The problem is that the delay is not constant: if you don't play is shorter but while you are playing it is longer! Maybe the internal CPU is not fast enough. I don't think it depends on USB stick speed... but let me know about your experiments.
Antonio

tekrytor

Have you checked for differences in the start delay if start is assigned to S1/S2/CTL vs using the 1/2/3 pedals?
SY-300/BeatBuddy/VoiceLive 3/GR-55(v1.50)/33/1/50/700/VGA-7/V-Bass, Yam-G10, GPK-4, DIY X-Bee HighlyLiquidCPU "Cozy-Lil-Footie", FCB-1010, other MIDI stuff, Godin Freeway SA and various other GK equipped controllers, Sonar X1, Audacity, KXstudio, Misc devices

Toby Krebs

People accept backing tracks and sequences these days more than they did 20 years ago. My band plays them back on an I-POD and once in a while something will happen. I have only used the backing tracks on a usb stick a few times on the GR55 so I have not noticed anything too weird start time wise. If you are sitting there by yourself the audience knows you are using them. Not much can be done about that except running the tracks into each other which I have tried and it works well. Audacity Rules!!!

gandolf

I think there is a start delay with the audio player....here's my experiment results:

So my idea was to use the audio player to play short riffs in songs....think of the whistle in Maroon 5 "moves like Jagger" or the organ bit in the song "I'm a believer " as covered a few years ago...
I got my self some samples of these, and in audacity magnified up close and cut the sound wave form, so that I created a sample "bite" that looked to have no gaps at the start of it.
I thought This will be easier than playing with backing tracks, as drummer won't need a click all the way through, just for a 3 second riff here and there..

Result : no go.... No matter how I tried there was a delay from peddle switch to audio start...

Admittedly I have not tried using the switches as per tekrytor suggestion (for fear I fumble while playing bass)...

I did try "pre arming" it, by getting it into a pause mode, but same delay....

I had thought of trying to measure the delay, and then train myself to trigger that far in front of beat....but heck, I'm already trying so hard to tame a gk/gr rig From false triggering while doing a tango on the peddle board..... Was not sure my sanity would hold up...

Or is there a technique?

tekrytor

Maybe another option that I've been considering... if you mainly use COSM, plug your phone into the GK, Velcro it to your guitar, plug its output into the GK pickup input, and play the samples from an Android or iPhone soundboard, or audio player, which are more predicable.
SY-300/BeatBuddy/VoiceLive 3/GR-55(v1.50)/33/1/50/700/VGA-7/V-Bass, Yam-G10, GPK-4, DIY X-Bee HighlyLiquidCPU "Cozy-Lil-Footie", FCB-1010, other MIDI stuff, Godin Freeway SA and various other GK equipped controllers, Sonar X1, Audacity, KXstudio, Misc devices

Machh_2

avoid using USB stick with many audio files, more files, the longer the GR-55 needs to index the tracks, and run ...
try using USB Sticks with max 1Gb of memory, and preferably that is not full ...
GR-55 must process thousands of lines of command at the same time and still run the audio track, so you need to help him and ease his workload processing ...
detail: if you connect the GR-55 with USB Stick already connected, so GR will complete the boot after checking and index all the files present in the audio Stick, the more files longer boot ...
Stick avoid having inside other files that are not audio such as photos, texts, mp3 etc. ..

another detail: do not let the audio files in folders, sub folders etc, simply place the audio files directly into USB Stick without any folder, it accelerates a little searching and execution of audio,because the GR and not going to address open folders and sub folders until you find the file and then run it ...

Dont use Sandisk sticks, GR-55 dont like them...

I performed a few songs on my GR, but not noticed any delay ...

good luck

piriolirio

Finally I've tested the speed of many different USB sticks, from 1.5Mb to 7.5Mb in reading. With the fastest one, with ONLY one audio file in the root directory, same result: the delay in starting is clearly evident and is longer while you are playing. With my Boss RC-3 loop station pedal, the same file starts playing immediately. I don't want to bring with me too many pedals, I would like to have an audio player inside the GR-55 that works fine! I'm sure is a software bug, I hope Roland will correct this in the next update.

stuey99

I'm just experiencing this which is infuriating.
Basically if nothing is being played the audio player is instantaneous.  However start playing and there's a noticeable delay.  Worse still it's not predictable, I tried inserting silence infront of the sample then hitting the play the beat before and lining it up with the lag.  But that doesnt work either as the delay varies.

I've also tried to reduce the sample rate and make it mono instead of stereo - no difference.

Pretty annoyed.

sminter

I had a similar issue with tracks not playing, and after reading through some of the comments I found a solution that worked for me.

I was using a 32GB flash drive with only one .wav and it was not playing on demand and the pedal was freezing up with no response from any buttons. I read somewhere that the unit has to index the information on the flash drive and 32GB is a lot of space to index. I found an older 4GB flash drive I had lying around. I did a quick format on the 4GB flash drive, turned off the GR-55 inserted the drive, powered up, and performed a backup and it created a Roland folder on the drive. Powered down the GR-55, inserted the 4GB on my PC, and dropped 8 .wav files. Inserted the flash drive on the GR-55 and powered it up and the .wav files played on demand with no issues. I think the smaller drive and maybe when I performed the backup, the GR-55 may have formatted/indexed the drive somehow because it works great now.

Good luck, this worked for me! 

gumtownadmin

The format type must be FAT/FAT16.
Larger capacity usb sticks can only be formatted in FAT32 and the GR-55 doesn't read that format too well.
Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else.