How are you amplifying your GT-1000? FRFR, Studio Monitors, etc?

Started by TheOreoMonster, February 01, 2022, 11:47:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheOreoMonster

Curious to know how others are listening to their GT-1000. More so in those that use the amps/cabs included and not so much as 4CM with an amp. Are you finding you like it better with FRFR cabs? Studio Monitors? What are you liking and why? Mostly use with headphones or  Via USB when recording, but would love to get some kind of speakers to use it with when practicing/Jamming.

admin

A pair of QSC K10.2

Sounds glorious - using the internal GT-1000 AIRD Amps & Cabs

I put negatives because the GT-1000 user interface I detest
(Ironically I enjoy the SY-1000 user interface) and Kemper Stage and Headrush

Regarding tone and feel,, the GT-1000 is miles ahead of Helix
I'm of the opinion the Roland / Boss MFX  suffer when feeding a tube guitar amp with expensive top Guitar Speakers/ amps.
If you want to use a very good tube guitar amp, get a Fractal FX8 for 4 cable FX only

Boisdelac

I had a Marshall 6101 Combo until 15 years ago and then sold it. It sounded great with its 3 channels, but in my top 40 band it wasn't flexible enough and too heavy to carry.

Since then and even before I've been using all kinds of Roland/Boss guitar processors from Roland GP8, Boss GT3, Boss GT100 and now two GT1000s right in front of the house. For rehearsals and personal monitoring I now use a pair of ALTO TS 310s.
I also testet a pair of yamaha dbr 10, which also sounded great.

A few months ago, my bandmate's tube amp broke. So he also put his pedalboard in one of my Altos. Surprisingly...his sound was no worse than playing on his tube amp, and we were loud enough prevail against our drummer and bassman.  ;D

I will continue to stick with the modeling thing, especially with my Boss GT1000 and my two FRFRs.

TheOreoMonster

Thanks for the responses so far.  Curious to know what the journey was to land on the QSC K10 or Alto TS310s? Was there something else you tried that you felt the QSC or Alto sounded better than?
I remember V1 of the K series also being popular  as FRFR monitors but back then I ended up with the original Atomic Cabs with the mono 50 watt tube power amp, and ended up not being too crazy about them. There was this honky Middiness to them that was apparent no matter what I was running through them so as a result I am reluctant to try the Atomic CLR. However, this brings me to another question.
Any reason to go for something that's coaxial? Also I remember reading else where (most likely on here) you need about 1000 watts  to get about the same punch from a 30 watt tube amp, so I imagine that probably has something to do with the K10's sounding glorious given it's power handling.
Also any experience with the K8 or K12?
Curious to see what others are using as well.

Thanks again

PAH

I play through whatever FRFR type playback system is available.

At home, I have a Roland KC-550 (Keyboard Amp) and AudioTechnica M40X headphone.  Jamming with friends and family, we tend to go through a mixer into a common FRFR - Alto TS215, a JBL with a 15" driver, or my KC-550.

For dialing in tones, I figured my home theater setup would the flattest and fullest range thing I had, so I compared playing my GT through that with each of my headphones and FRFR type amp/speakers.  I found my M40X headphones were the closest (at least for guitar frequencies).  So, now when I dial in a tone, I do it with the M40X headphones with the global EQ flat.  Then I verify it sounds fine through my KC550 (mono and in the room).  Finally, I use the global EQ to make global tone tweaks to adjust for room and FRFR amp/speaker variation.

admin

Quote from: PAH on February 02, 2022, 10:51:08 AM
I play through whatever FRFR type playback system is available.

At home, I have a Roland KC-550 (Keyboard Amp) and AudioTechnica M40X headphone.  Jamming with friends and family, we tend to go through a mixer into a common FRFR - Alto TS215, a JBL with a 15" driver, or my KC-550.

For dialing in tones, I figured my home theater setup would the flattest and fullest range thing I had, so I compared playing my GT through that with each of my headphones and FRFR type amp/speakers.  I found my M40X headphones were the closest (at least for guitar frequencies).  So, now when I dial in a tone, I do it with the M40X headphones with the global EQ flat.  Then I verify it sounds fine through my KC550 (mono and in the room).  Finally, I use the global EQ to make global tone tweaks to adjust for room and FRFR amp/speaker variation.

PAH provides excellent advice -100% concur

Lately I see local ads for studio gear being sold at estate sales -got a pair of JBL powered Studio Monitors which were $700a pair in 2007 going for $100 a pair

If you find "THX approved" home powered Speakers (Klipsch) those work excellent for DSP guitar amp modelers

And ATH-M40X are flatter response vs the bass boosted ATH-M50X

If on a budget, these Status CB-1 HEADPHONES @ $70 are very close to ATH-M40X
https://www.amazon.com/Status-Audio-Closed-Monitor-Headphones/dp/B01BDX1IVW/ref=asc_df_B01BDX1IVW/

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=24722.msg179305#msg179305

derboesebernd

Bose L1 compact + Bose T1 Mixer,  killer sound, light weight, loud (if needed...) no failure, since 8 + years. very good sound and 180 degrees beam angle.
2x Boss GT-1000, each with Line 6 Relay G30, and Boss FS-7, 2x Bose L1 Compact, Bose T1.

Not the Boss of me

...me too .. Bose L1S and TS4... one of the most listenable and clearest sounds I have ever heard whether using electric or acoustic.

DirtyHarryNZ

Quote from: Not the Boss of me on February 04, 2022, 03:35:25 AM...me too .. Bose L1S and TS4... one of the most listenable and clearest sounds I have ever heard whether using electric or acoustic.

Hi from New Zealand.

I've just ordered the last Bose Compact in NZ - arrives tomorrow.
Cannot get the TS1 or TS4 Mixer - so going I'm get the Mackie MIX8.
I'm a lead/rhythm guitarist and sing most of the harmonies - was going to ask the Bose L1 users here, how do you have yours setup with both GT-1000 and the vocals?
How have you got your TS1/4 mixers intergrated?

I tried - IEM's with the GT-1000 - absolutely hated it.
Tried the Headrush cabinets -they sound horrible IMHO.
I have a DbX Opera 10" at home and that sounds a lot better than anything I've tried so far, but its for practice.
I've read and heard fantastic things about the Bose L1 - though a few users have said they need EQ'ing to sound great with the GT-1000 - is this correct?
With my GT-1000 I cut everything from 100hz down and everything above 6.5khz - is this enough to clean the sound up before hitting the Bose?

Would love to know about your setup and experience!

Many thanks!

Matthias K.

Two Roland CM30 monitors at home to dial in patches. Any available FRFR otherwise. With mostly good results.

GT-1000 into a guitar amp (input or fx return) does not convince me since there is sadly no way to switch off the speaker simulation globally and those many output filtering options all sound heavily filtered to me.

Boisdelac

The outputs of the gt 1000 contain a kind of impuls response of a speaker cabinet. With a Hardware Pedal Boarding, would you use an Impuls response Loader, to send your Output Signal to your guitar Amp? Try the second insert send as an output, instead. How does this Sound?

jwoertz

Studio monitors to creat the patches, the direct to FOH when I get to the gigs. Very little tweaking needed on-site. Love it!

Meesha

Good studio headphones and good pair of studio monitor speakers do the trick for me in all my "bedroom Rockstar" scenarios (depend on how silent I have to be )... Found way more comfortable to tweak the sound with speakers, but that's maybe because I end up pretty loud with headphones each time...