HEX-FX - GKs13 HEX-FX GK 13 Output (reversible)

Started by admin, February 22, 2021, 08:17:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

admin

All depends on the instrument and Hex PU mounting method

Above method: solder normal Mag PU signal wires to GKs13 preamp. Then plug the GK Hex PU 8 pin connector into Hex FX GKs13 preamp, then lower GKs13 into the instruments Output Jack location.

Above method:  feed the 8 pin  plug from the GK Hex PU through the internal output jack wire hole from electronics cavity ,  then connects to Hex FX GKs13 preamp and solder the Normal Mag PU wires to GKs13 , then  then lower GKs13 into the instruments Output Jack location.

Having worked on hundreds of Strats from Fender, Fernandes, Asia, etc, , its true , some may require minor wood routing to provide a deeper body route under the Output Jack , or a larger hole between electronics  cavity and output Jack route, to accommodate the wires.

If you look closely on latest design with flush mounted vertical GK13 jack, you can see the PCBs on underside of the GKs13 preamp , and its compact nature.

Their goal is sell these to a network of Luthiers who understand the potential installation issues ,
Still much Easier to install than a Roland GK-KIT-GT3 or  RMC Pickups Polydrive 1 preamp

I can install them if you contact me , pending availability of the latest model

chrish

Looks like the GK cable fits into that slot that is cut into the plate. Seems As long as any extra cable fits in the space under the plate, the cable would not have to be altered or the connector removed.

gumtown

Wondering about that angled GK-13 pin socket, looks like a great idea, but wondering how much twist tension the PCB mounting pins would take if the GK cable was not restrained.
Looks like it might be glued in place?
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

admin

Quote from: gumtown on July 12, 2021, 01:43:04 PMWondering about that angled GK-13 pin socket, looks like a great idea, but wondering how much twist tension the PCB mounting pins would take if the GK cable was not restrained.
Looks like it might be glued in place?

Current production is the new flush vertical mount GK jack
https://hex-fx.org/
- the older 1st gen production model was simply a potted right angle DIN 13 jack  , replaced by the new version above. 

sequencer

Hi there

Now I've figured the place to buy my internal GK-3 kit (ie, the UK) - I have another question:

Is is possible to sort out a completely minimal wiring for the GK-3 ..... as in, I don't want the S1 and S2 switches, I don't want the led, or any switch
to do with synth/regular guitar - maybe the volume control is needed (or a good idea) - but can this be done?

I have a Strat and I would just like to add the pickup and 13pin jack, nothing else

Cheers

Sequencer

admin

admin

admin

But review the internal GK-KIT-GT3 installation thread which explains how to perform minimal installs., Omitting features
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=133.0

sequencer

Thanks for your help

That unit looks nice - I will also check the thread - I'd assumed my question had probably come up before.

Headless68

gumbo

Quote from:  Headless68 on September 13, 2021, 10:27:18 AM
what is the cost of these ?

Dunno...but probably a bit more if they incorporated a locking 13-pin jack....   ;)
Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...

philjynx

Quote from:  gumbo on September 14, 2021, 07:54:11 AM

Dunno...but probably a bit more if they incorporated a locking 13-pin jack....   ;)
Where CAN I get one of those? asked the stooge...

CodeSmart

But I got more gear than I need...and I like it!

admin

gumbo

Hmm...looks like this is now a third iteration, with the 13-pin jack and the pot now interchanged.

The 'breakaway' (?) on the faceplate for the hex pickup cable suits RH guitars only..don't know that there's necessarily enough space available on the opposite side of the faceplate as that side looks to be more populated ....this could make it difficult for lefty installations if only one version is available.

Would also be interested if the original rout needs to be deepened to accommodate the PCB..looks like it might be a bit tight..

...still, some good ideas here..although I can envisage a few 'funnies' with the wiring if it WAS to be fitted to a VG / G5 Strat as was pictured earlier in this thread...not totally undoable, but perhaps not for the faint-hearted..

;)
Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...

JiveTurkey

One on the way for my new strat. I grabbed the black one with no controls because black looks cooler  8)

CodeSmart

Completed my Strat today. Everything works like a charm.

My guitar is a Eric Clapton Signature with active pickups and a filter board inside.
Forgetting to mention this when ordering the GKs13, I had to solder two Schottky diodes myself (I used BAT 86, Vf=0.2V) plus three extra wires to the GKS13 board.
This mod will get the 9V battery activated when regular jack inserted and powered by the GK power whn GK cable is inserted.
If both regular and GK-cable inserted at the same time the battery will be used (due to the higher voltage).

The beaty with the GKs13 is that I can revert the guitar back to original should I want to sell it.
Just putting back the original pickguard and guitar jack.

* I have a feeling the GK pickup with GKs13 pre-amps is hotter than Roland GK circuit.
* The GK pickup has been sprayed a few times with a white flat paint.
* The angled GK cable is a Primova cable with the 180 degree option.
https://primovasound.com/products/cables/index.php

But I got more gear than I need...and I like it!

Elantric