HEX-FX - GKs13 HEX-FX GK 13 Output (reversible)

Started by admin, February 22, 2021, 08:17:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

admin

Current production is the new flush vertical mount GK jack
https://hex-fx.org/

Introducing the GKs13
Presenting a new and exciting alternative to the use of GK-3 and GK-2A hex pickups.

Our product, the GKs13, was designed to provide a path to a very simple, non-destructive mounting, installation and use of either a readily available GK-type pickup or re-purpose your existing GK pickups.

An important guiding premise to our design is to ensure that the GKs13 installation must be TOTALLY reversible ...
you are able to return your precious guitar back to its initial condition ... with NO visible damage or cosmetic change.

The GKs13 "tear-drop" design will be available for purchase very soon.

Other models and products are under development.

Please come back to this page frequently to discover updates to the details of the GKs13 and other innovative products from
HEX-FX.

Contact Us

ZBig Styrna wrote >
Finaly finished converting my precious Blizzard White Fender MIA , VG Strats ( G-5 ) to 13-Pin GK format .
   Now I can plug it into my SY-1000, GR-55 , GR-33, etc..

1'st ones were " custom " to solve my needs .
But I designed these for mass production .
Hopefully others will be interested ?
our GKs-13 allows for :
1) Adding 13-pin connectivity for Fender's VG and G-5 Stratocasters with built in internal white HEX Puckup and DSP Modeling engines . This is the Premium option .
2) or For using " Internal " GK-2A or GK-3 HEX pickups . Cable comes out the bottom of the HEX pickup . Black cable is hidden under pickguard . U can order just this GK-3 PU from Roland for $80 via local music store .
3) Using an External GK-2A or GK-3 . Type that come with Roland's standard big black puck thing.

? Right . Thank u for asking .
Well we are just getting started with all of that .
Just got through building ten 3'rd Revision prototypes .
e have about a dozen in Beta Trials with friends ... and we are planing to manufacture a lot more very soon .

Initially I built these for my own needs because I dislike that giant black puck .
And I wanted something that could s installed as easily as possibly and without cutting , drilling , routing the guitar too much .
And for the guitar to be put back easily to stock .

QuoteI'm intrigued you have a switch just to turn off the E and A strings
Muting the low E/A Strings reduces bad, ghost , errors .
After lot of R&D, testing , retesting , measuring with instruments , Scopes, Spectrum Anslyzer, etc..
We found open strings can get " brushed , touched accidentally ", and unwanted noise comes out of the GR-33/55, etc.
This is only for Pitch detection for PCM Tones/Patches . Modeling is simple stuff .. relative . Lolol , ya , noises , etc .. I get it .
I am Only interested in improving PCM, Synth Patches on GR-55
Although this product has way better crosstalk talk, Noise and Distortion performance even for Modeling.

https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=10157794471311766&set=gm.695271984474297

Quote from: adamlee011 on February 22, 2021, 07:01:42 AMThat's awesome how you crammed everything on that plate. Are your s1/2 buttons or of a Nintendo device? Taken a few of those apart in my time lol. Anyway very clever. I'm curious to know more about the ea split. I use the 12 string model on my vg99 for that, tune them an octane down instead of up, and turn the volume of the octave strings to 0 on the strings I don't want bass. Often e and d since playing full bar chords with power chords in the bass often sounds like to much for me. Kind of muddies up my chords. Did that with one patch and the second signal chain is a one stringed instrument (d string only) that's kind of string synth pad sound with a short slow gear. It sounds amazing on any type of clean chords, picked or strummed. Are the gr's missing something that you need to do it this way?
https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=10157794471311766&set=gm.695271984474297
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=30095.msg220138#msg220138

adamlee011

Oh, those are the guitars with internal roland modeling etc? And this is a way to get it all out to the external units without irreversible modification? That's cool. I'm always thinking of ways to keep the clutter down on my gk installations. All that on that little plate is impressive.

admin

Quote from: adamlee011 on February 22, 2021, 09:07:18 AM
Oh, those are the guitars with internal roland modeling etc? And this is a way to get it all out to the external units without irreversible modification? That's cool. I'm always thinking of ways to keep the clutter down on my gk installations. All that on that little plate is impressive.
The design is food for thought on other alternate "GK-3" preamps

https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=10157794593746766&set=g.209304175761550
ZBig Styrna wrote >
QuoteThis is called " GKs-13. " s " for Stratocaster metal jack plate .
We designed this GKs-13 to be used in any Stratocaster type guitar . It replaces the metal teardrop guitar jack .
Everything fits into the guitar jack cavity . Can be used with any external or Internal GK-3 or the much older GK-2A HEX pickup .
All cables are hidden inside .
Here is my road worn Partscaster with an External GK-3 .
No visible damage is required to the guitar . So it can be put to stock if required .

Tukso

if these do go on to production lines... will there be a left-handed version... please?

admin

Introducing the GKs13
Presenting a new and exciting alternative to the use of GK-3 and GK-2A hex pickups.

Our product, the GKs13, was designed to provide a path to a very simple, non-destructive mounting, installation and use of either a readily available GK-type pickup or re-purpose your existing GK pickups. 

An important guiding premise to our design is to ensure that the GKs13 installation must be TOTALLY reversible ...
you are able to return your precious guitar back to its initial condition ... with NO visible damage or cosmetic change.

The GKs13 "tear-drop" design will be available for purchase very soon. 

Other models and products are under development. 

Please come back to this page frequently to discover updates to the details of the GKs13 and other innovative products from
HEX-FX.

Contact Us

arkieboy

A few thoughts

• Bravo!
  • I'm surprised there's enough room without routing for a jack going in face on rather than at an angle ...
  • I can't quite work out why someone hasn't done a custom Strat pick guard with it all already built in.  You might need to assume a swimming pool rout of course, but given the ready availability of Strat kits I don't think that would be a problem for the product's viability ...
  • Can you buy an aftermarket hexaphonic pickup, will you always need to cannibalise a GK unit or are you intending on manufacturing a pickup too?
  • A version that would work properly with Ghost piezo saddles addressing the low-end filter requirements for GR300 modelling would be a very fine thing indeed
Main rig: Barden Hexacaster and Brian Moore i2.13 controllers
Boss SY1000/Boss GKC-AD/Boss GM-800/Laney LFR112

Other relevant gear: Line 6 Helix LT, Roland GR-33, Axon AX100 MkII
Oberheim Matrix 6R, Supernova IIR, EMu E5000, Apple Mainstage, Apple Logic, MOTU M4

vanceg

Quote from: adamlee011 on February 22, 2021, 09:07:18 AM

I do not belive so, no.  This product seems to be a alternate GK-3 Preamp and mounting solution. It's an alterntive to the GK-3 interntal kit or the standard externally mounted GK-3 preamp.

vanceg

Quote from: Tukso on February 22, 2021, 09:58:53 AM
if these do go on to production lines... will there be a left-handed version... please?

These are not complete instruments (unless I'm completely missing something).  Instead, this is a preamp and connection system for the GK-3 which mounts internally to your insturment.

admin

Quote from: vanceg on February 25, 2021, 08:58:09 AM
I do not belive so, no.  This product seems to be a alternate GK-3 Preamp and mounting solution. It's an alterntive to the GK-3 interntal kit or the standard externally mounted GK-3 preamp.
Exactly

GuitarBuilder

Quote from: arkieboy on February 25, 2021, 02:55:05 AM
A few thoughts

• Bravo!
  • I'm surprised there's enough room without routing for a jack going in face on rather than at an angle ...
  • I can't quite work out why someone hasn't done a custom Strat pick guard with it all already built in.  You might need to assume a swimming pool rout of course, but given the ready availability of Strat kits I don't think that would be a problem for the product's viability ...
  • Can you buy an aftermarket hexaphonic pickup, will you always need to cannibalise a GK unit or are you intending on manufacturing a pickup too?
  • A version that would work properly with Ghost piezo saddles addressing the low-end filter requirements for GR300 modelling would be a very fine thing indeed
Stay Tuned!  Your wish is my command....

Are you aware of the Roland GK-KIT-GT Internal GK-3 kit?  No need to take apart the external GK-3 unit (the board is ridiculously large anyway); installation is fairly simple provided you use Gumbo's outstanding Synth-Linx GK jack instead of the plastic factory version.

Having said that, I cannot imagine what advantage using Ghost piezo saddles would have over the above internal kit.  If you insist on piezo, going with the far better RMC piezo saddles would certainly be an option. However, since I order custom pickguards with proper hex pickup cutouts when I build my hexaphonic guitars, there really is no reason to go piezo unless you absolutely want those for a separate "acoustic" sound.  An example of the latter are the Brian Moore iGuitars; mine has RMC pickups and a GK output, with a stereo 1/4" jack for passive and piezo sound.  Not too bad, but not as good as a properly built GK-3 guitar.
"There's no-one left alive, it must be a draw"  Peter Gabriel 1973

arkieboy

Quote from: GuitarBuilder on February 26, 2021, 01:48:15 PM
Stay Tuned!  Your wish is my command....

Are you aware of the Roland GK-KIT-GT Internal GK-3 kit?  No need to take apart the external GK-3 unit (the board is ridiculously large anyway); installation is fairly simple provided you use Gumbo's outstanding Synth-Linx GK jack instead of the plastic factory version.

Having said that, I cannot imagine what advantage using Ghost piezo saddles would have over the above internal kit.  If you insist on piezo, going with the far better RMC piezo saddles would certainly be an option. However, since I order custom pickguards with proper hex pickup cutouts when I build my hexaphonic guitars, there really is no reason to go piezo unless you absolutely want those for a separate "acoustic" sound.  An example of the latter are the Brian Moore iGuitars; mine has RMC pickups and a GK output, with a stereo 1/4" jack for passive and piezo sound.  Not too bad, but not as good as a properly built GK-3 guitar.

I've bought a GK-KIT for a bitsastrat my friend is building for me - seems a shame to buy the whole kit to cannibalise it for the pickup, but TBF if I wanted to convert my Meyer strat, then it would definitely make sense to do so.

As for piezo saddles, I'm thinking about minimal, invisible installations.  I don't think we have a RMC reseller this side of the Atlantic, but we definitely have resellers doing Ghost saddles. 

My main guitar is a red i2.13 :-)

Where do you get your custom pickguards from?

Oberheim Matrix 6R, Supernova IIR, EMu E5000, Apple Mainstage, Apple Logic, MOTU M4

GuitarBuilder

Quote from: arkieboy on February 26, 2021, 02:24:08 PM

I've bought a GK-KIT for a bitsastrat my friend is building for me - seems a shame to buy the whole kit to cannibalise it for the pickup, but TBF if I wanted to convert my Meyer strat, then it would definitely make sense to do so.

As for piezo saddles, I'm thinking about minimal, invisible installations.  I don't think we have a RMC reseller this side of the Atlantic, but we definitely have resellers doing Ghost saddles. 

WD Music in Florida, USA

adamlee011

Quote from: arkieboy on February 26, 2021, 02:24:08 PM

There's a whole thread on gk kits for nearly half what they cost in the US. Idk how many are back in stock. I ended up getting one from a Canadian shop. Used to be, you could order the white covered pickup as a fender gc-1 part (the roland ready strat.) pretty sure, by itself. I don't know if it's something they'd still stock. You might even need to send them a gc1 for repair to get one now.

adamlee011

Quote from: vanceg on February 25, 2021, 08:58:09 AM
it sure could be used that way but if you look at the op it's a g5 (vg strat, which I'm pretty sure was a shot back at variax.) they seem to have cosm guitar onboard and no 13 pin out, that I'm aware of.

arkieboy

Quote from: GuitarBuilder on February 26, 2021, 06:41:49 PM
WD Music in Florida, USA

Thanks.  Do those work with the GK KIT pickup? 

I have to say I would love to source a pickup that looked more like the one fitted to the Roland-Ready Strats.  I'm quite attached to translucent emerald green + white plate and pickups, which will be spoiled a little by the kit's black one.  Maybe I should look again at colours.

Embarrassed to say the colour is turning out to be quite important - my electric guitars have been (in order), red, natural ash, gold, silver, red, natural mahogany, red, black, silvery-gold (with a stripe), red, yellow.  I need a change!

(That said I think we're going to fit an alnico Gibson humbucker with a chrome cover for the bridge pickup, so it's going to have something of a modded appearance anyway ...)

adamlee011

Quote from: arkieboy on February 28, 2021, 01:41:49 PM

I have to say I would love to source a pickup that looked more like the one fitted to the Roland-Ready Strats.  I'm quite attached to translucent emerald green + white plate and pickups, which will be spoiled a little by the kit's black one.  Maybe I should look again at colours.

(That said I think we're going to fit an alnico Gibson humbucker with a chrome cover for the bridge pickup, so it's going to have something of a modded appearance anyway ...)
I just dropped some comments on that old dead thread about the white pickups there. They aren't quite the same. Made to mount under a strat pickguard which isn't possible for my current project. It will have to go on top. This has a pearloid guard that I eventually want to change to tortoise so I thought, maybe I'll spray the cover in white plastidip for now, leaving the actually pickups black, but oh well. And then I can probably take it off and go black again when I make the other pickguard. I might even have a spare cover I could use. Had a gk2a on it so I'll probably use the holes I used for that too mount the internal. I really like the way I made this look though. Height is just perfect and doesn't hit when using the full range of the trem. Looks clean. Swapped the order of string signal wires to mount it in reverse, and used two pieces of masking tape super glue back to back to mount it right to the body.

GuitarBuilder

Quote from: arkieboy on February 28, 2021, 01:41:49 PM

Embarrassed to say the colour is turning out to be quite important - my electric guitars have been (in order), red, natural ash, gold, silver, red, natural mahogany, red, black, silvery-gold (with a stripe), red, yellow.  I need a change!

1.  You don't want the GK-2A pickups from RR or GC-1 Strats.  Stick with GK-3!
2.  You can easily paint the GK-3 white.

whippinpost91850

admin

Quote from: whippinpost91850 on July 10, 2021, 06:59:28 AM
Your link is not working for me

Must be a facebook member

go to the 1st post link here for getting on their mail list for latest details on HEX-FX  - GKs13 preamp.

roachone

arkieboy

That's very neat.  Do you have to solder the pickup wires in place or does it come with the correct connector for the GK-KIT pickup?

(I'm not sure which is right really - if you want to feed the wires through the current holes into the socket hole then you'll need to snip the connector off anyway I guess ... )

I don't think it can be overstated how useful it is having everything in one unit that simply drops in place on a guitar with normal routing.  Watching my friend Simon trying to squeeze all of the cabling that comes with a GK-KIT inside the Strat kit he's building for me has been instructive. 

admin

Quote from: arkieboy on July 11, 2021, 05:15:16 AM
That's very neat.  Do you have to solder the pickup wires in place or does it come with the correct connector for the GK-KIT pickup?

(I'm not sure which is right really - if you want to feed the wires through the current holes into the socket hole then you'll need to snip the connector off anyway I guess ... )

I don't think it can be overstated how useful it is having everything in one unit that simply drops in place on a guitar with normal routing.  Watching my friend Simon trying to squeeze all of the cabling that comes with a GK-KIT inside the Strat kit he's building for me has been instructive.

Roland Gk hex pickup ( or Shadow or Fishman)  plugs right in  - no soldering

gumbo

Quote from: arkieboy on July 11, 2021, 05:15:16 AM

Don't have to ever 'snip off' that style of connector...it is relatively easy to release the individual conductors from the multiplug with the tip of a scalpel blade.  If one is careful in doing that, the multiplug is undamaged and can be refitted once the cabling is passed through to its destination.

Good idea to take a photo of it BEFORE you start pulling out the conductors, though...   ;)
Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...