SY-1000 - Scene mode with VController/VC-mini idea

Started by sixeight, January 13, 2021, 08:19:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sixeight

Currently I am further developing the firmware of the VController / VC-mini for the SY-1000. There was already support for the SY-1000, but now that I actually own an SY-1000, I m able to add extra functionality. I already implemented control of CTL 1-6, NUM, MANUAL and GK assigns from the SY-1000. For most parameters this is working now.

One more idea, that I have, is to implement scene mode on the SY-1000. Scenes and snapshots are already available on the Fractal and Helix units and it allows for seamless switching of multiple parameters. Scene data will be stored on the VController/VC-mini. There should be space for 8 scenes per patch for 80 patches. Every scene can have a name up to eight characters

To give a practical example of scenes within a patch:
* scene1 switches pickup to front, disables the OD block and enables a delay
* scene 2 changes FX1 from chorus to flanger and disables the reverb
* etc

Whenever you select a scene all controlled parameters will return to their set state.

The following items could be controlled from a scene:
* On/off state of all blocks
* Guitar/bass/Instrument type and pickup selection
* Amp/dist solo and bright switches
* All LFO,SEQ , Turbo, EQ, Filter, eq parameters within instruments
* FX1-3 type. So a flanger can be changed into a delay for FX3.

I attached the full overview of all the items that can be switches in a scene.

Space is limited on the VController, so changing switches is possible, but changing the other instrument/effect/amp parameters (like gain, bass, level, etc) from a scene is not possible. These parameters take a lot of space.

To actually implement this, will be a lot of work. So I am testing the waters here, to see if there is any interest.

sixeight

Made a start with scene mode this weekend. So far it is looking promising.

Thinking of adding 8 cc operators, to control eight extra parameters through assigns.

sixeight

Here is a quick teaser of the implementation so far of scene mode for the SY-1000.

grubik

Is scene mode a built-in feature of sy-1000? I wonder if it could be used with other midi controllers. I don't own the unit yet, but I'm thinking on getting one. So, for example, I want to connect Helix and sy1000 with midi cable and control scenes on sy1000 with snapshots from Helix. The thing is that Helix snapshots can send midi cc and pc commands to other devices. Would it be possible for me to change scenes on sy1000 this way?

sixeight

Scenes are not built in. The VController executes and stores the scenes. It should be possible to control the scenes from the Helix. That will be a useful feature to add.

grubik

I guess what you mean by scenes is external midi control? Like control 1 and control 2 footswitches only executed by external midi devices. Is it correct? I'm using this feature in sy300, but there's a limitation there - only 6 parameters maximum can be changed with external midi. Is there such a limit in sy1000?

sixeight

Quote from: grubik on January 26, 2021, 12:40:39 PM
I guess what you mean by scenes is external midi control? Like control 1 and control 2 footswitches only executed by external midi devices. Is it correct? I'm using this feature in sy300, but there's a limitation there - only 6 parameters maximum can be changed with external midi. Is there such a limit in sy1000?

There are 16 assigns in the SY1000. So technically you can change 17 parameters with them using a control or expression pedal. When thinking in scenes that would be two scenes.

With the scene implementation I made, you can change more parameters and make eight scenes. Technically you could change around  around 60 parameters through scenes at the same time plus 16 assigns. I haven't counted all the parameters yet.

sixeight

Here is how scene mode works with the VC-mini.

jongrant

How are people who own one of these amazing-looking controllers enjoying the "scene" abilities with the sy-1000?

This option would be amazing!

The vc-mini is very tempting for me, but I'd love to read some of your experiences before I jump in.

Thanks!

sixeight

Here is another in-depth video on SY-1000 scenes.