expression pedal for SY1000

Started by myksara, October 27, 2020, 12:16:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

myksara

Hi all,
I have just ordered my SY1000 and wanted to know the expression pedal that is recommended to be used with it.
Is there a pedal that works similar to an expression pedal on a multifx unit with a hard press on the toe to turn on the switch beneath the expression pedal to activate an effect- say  a wah?
Guitars: Ibanez Prestige S5470, Ibanez Jem 7v, Ibanez JS2410, PRS SE Custom24, Cort  Ltd G16, Ibanez RG370Ahmz,
MultiFX: Roland GR55, Zoom 1on, BOSS GT00
Loopers: Digitech trio+, Line 6 JM4
MIDI:, MAudio Axiom24 keyboard, Alesis IO Dock with iPad air 2

gumtown

I see Mission Engineering do a toe switch Expression pedal (model SP1) which is 10k TRS, and with another jack for the switch,
but I do not know if it is Boss compatible.

Another option is to get a Boss EXP pedal and glue a rubber block under the toe end of the pedal so it is offering resistance to the last 2% of pedal travel,
then use SY-1000 assigns so the last few numbers of the Source Min/Max range actuate the Assign target as the rubber block is compressed, acting like a toe switch.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

BROCKSTAR

I don't know about any of that but if you want a cheap solution that works fine get a M-Audio EX-P... can find them around $30 new or $20 used and works perfectly fine. I use them for my sy-1000 and works for my hardware synths as well etc..

bobruz

Hey gang,

I need to configure the SY to respond to Midi CC messages for volume control.
Seem to be a challenge for me to find where I set this up.
Can someone point me to the right menu.  I'd like to set CC#7, 0-127 to control either FV2 or Master volume level on Midi chan. 2.

bobruz 

admin

Quote from: bobruz on November 04, 2020, 02:02:57 PM
Hey gang,

I need to configure the SY to respond to Midi CC messages for volume control.
Seem to be a challenge for me to find where I set this up.
Can someone point me to the right menu.  I'd like to set CC#7, 0-127 to control either FV2 or Master volume level on Midi chan. 2.

bobruz

Its in the CTRL/Assignment area - create an assignment with your desired MIDI CC# as SOURCE

FAQ
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=26924.0

bobruz

Thanx!  I did get it going once I figured out the menu system.
Work great and sounds great too!

stuey99

Quote from: BROCKSTAR on October 27, 2020, 02:41:47 PM
I don't know about any of that but if you want a cheap solution that works fine get a M-Audio EX-P... can find them around $30 new or $20 used and works perfectly fine. I use them for my sy-1000 and works for my hardware synths as well etc..
Just ordered one of these on your recommendation from Amazon for £12.90!!!  Seems impossibly cheap but if it works I'll not complain

admin

Learn All about expression pedals that work with Rolabd/Boss gear
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=33.0

kimyo

Quote from: stuey99 on June 02, 2021, 09:03:23 AMJust ordered one of these on your recommendation from Amazon for £12.90!!!  Seems impossibly cheap but if it works I'll not complain
i have an m-audio ex-p and cannot get the full range out of it.  the low end never gets below 27 (on a scale of 0 - 100), regardless of how the knob is adjusted. 

admin

Quote from: kimyo on June 02, 2021, 09:58:25 AM
i have an m-audio ex-p and cannot get the full range out of it.  the low end never gets below 27 (on a scale of 0 - 100), regardless of how the knob is adjusted.

Which is typical

There is a mod to correct that

Bypass R2 (1k resistor) with a straight wire

= full EV-5 treadle sweep

kimyo

my apologies to m-audio, i do not have an ex-p.   the pedal which has the range limitation is an onstage kep-100.

i opened it up this evening and it has no resistors - is there anything else i can do?  it's just got the two potentiometers and the switch. 

fwiw, the construction is pretty solid. 

i guess it's kinda pointless to ask roland to add expression pedal calibration to the sy-1000 as that would eat into ev-5 sales. 

stuey99

Thanks for the knowledge. 

I'm guessing it's this resister shown here:

Quote from: admin on June 02, 2021, 10:15:43 AM
Which is typical

There is a mod to correct that

Bypass R2 (1k resistor) with a straight wire

= full EV-5 treadle sweep

Psalm 150

The Boss EV-30 is a solid choice...more expensive than the M-Audio no doubt, but solid metal construction and dual outs...
I think I paid around $89 last year for mine...Looks like they are in the $75 to $95 range used on Reverb.com right now ($103 new).
The footprint is smaller than a typical Mission expression pedal, which I believe some people don't like, but it works for me!
...praise Him with stringed instruments....Psalm 150:4

drjoness2001

I uploaded a YouTube video with a comparison of various pedal used with the SY-1000:

https://www.joness.com/gr300/sy-1000-expression-pedal-roland-ev-5_boss-ev-30_moog-ep-3_mission-engineering-sp-1.html

Roland EV-5
Boss EV-30
Moog EP-3
Mission Engineering SP-1

stub

From that video, it looked like both EV pedals had a range of inactivity at the beginning of the range from heel-down to the first registering of a non-zero. The Moog and Mission seemed to start changing right away and therefore spread their range over the entire sweep.

Probably not a big issue. Just like a clutch, you get to know how it engages. But it did seem easier to get a smooth/gradual sweep with the last two.

admin

These days I travel Lite, so been using $19  Proline /Nektar Expression pedals, they are 3/4 size of M-Audio Expression pedal
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=33.msg120430#msg120430

littletardis

I have just configured my old Mission SP1 to work using MIDI via a Disaster area DMC-3XL Gen 3.

I set the Expression pedal of the SP1 to use MIDI CC 7 and then the toe switch on the SP1 to use midi cc 17 and then configured those into my patches instead of exp1 and ctl2 ( which I was using to change expression from volume to wah )

Now I can switch from volume to wah by operating the toe switch.... Which is nice.

Toddantho

It appears this thread got off track.... I am looking for same thing as OP.
An expression pedal that will activate wah (effect) with hard press ( toe switch), then use the pedal travel to control range parameter ..
It seems like the m audio , or the nectar don't have a toe switch .
I am looking for the pedal to have one cord into the sy 1000. Otherwise the Ampero press would do it with two cords into SY... Ampero press has a toe switch.
Still  enjoying the 13 pin world !

Toddantho

Just saw Gumtown's post on assigning effect on/off to the act range of 1 and 2.
That works nicely! Then you don't need a toe switch!
Still  enjoying the 13 pin world !