R.I.P EDDIE VAN HALEN

Started by BROCKSTAR, October 06, 2020, 01:02:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BROCKSTAR

GEEZ!! Can 2020 officially get any worse?!? May he tap his way to heaven!

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/eddie-van-halen-dead-200051/

aliensporebomb

65 years old and had been battling throat cancer for a long time.   I keep thinking about his son Wolf who is on the verge of releasing his own solo record playing all the instruments and singing all the vocals.   And I think about his brother Al who has played drums with Eddie since they were little kids.   The loss!   

I remember hearing Eruption for the first time.   A school friend said "listen to this, I really like the way he jams the moog" and I
said "That's no Moog" knowing full well it was an electric guitar.
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

Kevin M

So sad to hear this; I thought he had beaten his cancer.  He certainly took the finger tapping style to the spotlight and influenced countless guitarists along the way.

RIP.

mchad

Devastating news. I knew he was ill but this is a shock.

An icon of rock guitar.

:'(

gumtown

Sad news indeed, a legend.
and a reminder of our mortality.

here is some soothing V.H. at their finest

Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

BROCKSTAR

My favorite VH song... because the lyrics are deep and means something.

Don't want to wait 'til tomorrow
Why put it off another day
One more walk through problems
Built up, and stand in our way, ah
One step ahead, one step behind me
Now you gotta run to get even
Make future plans, don't dream about yesterday, hey
C'mon turn, turn this thing around
Right now, hey
It's your tomorrow
Right now,
C'mon, it's everything
Right now,
Catch a magic moment, do it
Right here and now
It means everything
Miss the beat, you lose the rhythm
And nothing falls into place, no
Only missed by a fraction
Slipped a little off your pace, oh
The more things you get, the more you want
Just trade in one for the other
Workin' so hard, to make it easier, whoa
Got to turn, c'mon turn this thing around
Right now, hey
It's your tomorrow
Right now
C'mon, it's everything...

whippinpost91850

Totally sad about this . RIP Eddy

mooncaine

I'm sad for him, it's so unfair, and I'm sad for his family, his friends, and for us, all of us, too.

I heard Harold Bloom say this about the definition of the word 'genius,' that a genius would be a person whose achievement you *had to reckon with* if you worked in the same field of art (or whatever). If you were a guitar player who heard his music unfold on the first 4 or 5 Van Halen albums, you know why I'm going on about the word genius. You know what other music of the time sounded like; you realize why his work stood out. His innovation literally changed the practice of guitar for millions, rightfully so.

I'm so down-hearted about his death, poor guy. I'm done posting for the night. I'll raise a glass to Mr. Van Halen, play some of my favorites over & over, loud in my headphones.

Piing

Keyboardist of the year 1984

HecticArt

This is crushing.
He changed everything.

Eff cancer, and eff 2020.

CodeSmart

He was the 'guitar God' when I was a teenager.
So talented and innovative. So sad to hear.
But I got more gear than I need...and I like it!

pasha811

Listen to my music at :  http://alonetone.com/pasha/

admin

Tim Pierce's recollection of EVH at Gazzarris in 1976  matches my mine

Adonf

Egsolidbody French Kit SM-DC Deluxe
Roland Gr 55
Line 6 Ux1
Soundcraft EPM8
katana MK2 100
Marshall Valvelstate 80v
Prs se Santana 2002
Focales Alpha 50

Kenmac

I posted this on a guitar forum I frequent last night but I thought I'd post it here as well.

I was shocked when I read about this earlier today. (Last night.) 65 is way too young. From around 1984 to 1986 I went through my own phase of trying to play like Eddie, along with probably about 10,000 other guitarists, until I started to develop my own style. Even though my two favourite guitarists are George Harrison and Elliot Easton (of The Cars), there's no denying that Eddie was an innovator on guitar. Artificial harmonics, distorted guitar, finger tapping and whammy bars have been used by guitarists prior to him but Eddie took those techniques and made them his own. Let's not forgot about his red, white and black striped painted "Frankenstein" guitar which looked like it was a Ferrari that had taken one too many turns on the race track. He played the daylights out of that iconic guitar and from what I've read in the past, Eddie was also a pretty good luthier as well. If his guitars needed repairs or adjusting he could do it himself. No guitar tech was necessary. And even though most people remember him for his solos, he was also a darn good rhythm player as well. He'll be greatly missed. R.I.P. Mr. Van Halen.
"Let them brush your rock and roll hair."

mchad

+1 on his rhythm playing.

mooncaine

Quote from: aliensporebomb on October 06, 2020, 01:28:25 PM
I remember hearing Eruption for the first time.   A school friend said "listen to this, I really like the way he jams the moog" and I
said "That's no Moog" knowing full well it was an electric guitar.

I'm laughing at myself because, when I heard it, I was thinking the opposite. Still young enough that I wasn't quite sure what to listen to, when Dad would turn the music up and say things like listen to that bass player, best funk you ever heard.... so, I knew I wanted to play an instrument, but not which one. Synths seemed the coolest, most wizardly, and they got to wear capes and they had their own mini stage. But guitars looked cooler.

Then this comes along. I honestly did not know whether I was hearing a keyboardist or a guitarist. I didn't give it much thought (yet), but a couple years later, I was a guitar player and I kept hearing about this guy, so I dug that record out again. Wow. Oh, yeah, that's a guitar. Just one guitar. Just one guy.

Wow. I remember that no one I knew, nor read about in music mags, knew exactly what he was doing or how. Then I heard 'tapping' but it wasn't until MTV that I could finally actually SEE it happening. He used to turn his back. He slyly kept secrets from us. Can't blame him; it's his secret to try to keep.

Like about his amp (he lied about the brown sound), or his influences (he said Eric Clapton, but think about it as you try to play an entire VH song, rhythm and solo parts, in one take. Dig how his rhythm playing works. That's Billy Gibbons influence there.).

That's no Moog.... it's a space station.

admin

I remember EVH would always mention he would pursue Ritchie Blackmoore's technique, and had no use for Dickie Betts. 

Its not a well kept secret, but EVH also played or overdubbed Bass tracks on bulk of the VH Studio sessions.

He would come into Valley Arts circa 1983, and audition Bass Guitars and Bass Amps and Bass D.I. boxes for 8 hours straight in the big try out room for a few days straight
( and the owners of the VA store would advise all employees "we have a special customer, please do not interact with him unless he directly requests assistance")

aliensporebomb

He also played his trademark rhythm guitar on Thomas Dolby's "Astronauts and Heretics" much to Alex Van Halen's disapproval.  The last time Ed did a public guest appearance it caused the record he made the guest appearance on to hit number one and the Van Halen release at the time to be #2 in the charts.

My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

admin

Another "secret"

The main Bridge pickup on his 1977 Frankenstrat had developed a special unique sound.
https://www.vhnd.com/2019/04/01/eddie-van-halens-1978-touring-rig-and-original-frankenstein-guitar-exhibit/

When EB/MusicMan was developing their 1990 MusicMan EVH Model, the goal was to match all the characteristics, neck geometry and sound of his 1977 Frankenstrat

Upon deep investigation it was discovered that one coil of the bridge pickup was damaged , and MusicMan worked with DiMarzio's pickup guru, Steve Blucher to reverse engineer this pickup for mass production.

They found that if they inserted a capacitor in series between each PU coil bobbin, they could get a close match to the tone, dynamics of the original Frankenstrat pickup

( hint - a similar strategy was employed in the Seymour Duncan 1981 Duncan "Invader" Neck pickups ( which cuts the low end and boosts the high frequencies  = less muddy)
https://forum.seymourduncan.com/forum/the-pickup-lounge/263198-what-does-the-capacitor-in-the-neck-invader-do/page2#post5251955

Pic from 1978 Young Guitar magazine (Japan) article
https://guitar-rigs.com/rigs/van-halen-guitar-rig-gear/index.html     

And I confirmed he would use a Boss SD-1 to punch his solos 1977-1987

Smash

Iconic, innovative and incendiary.

Still shocked by this. Reminder of mortality.

I guess we'll never know the answer to question whether he invented eruption under his own steam or whether he was "influenced" by Steve Hacketts eerily prophetic tapping in Shadow of the Hierophant recorded 3 years earlier.

The tapping pattern, the sound, phaser and delay - you'd be forgiven for thinking EVH sessiioned on the track.

Skip to 4'41" and remember this was recorded mid 75...

Does it matter? Not really as Eddie was so much more than Eruption, it's just that's the one people remember him as innovator for.

mchad

eUphonic

Quote from: admin on October 10, 2020, 01:02:34 AM
Another "secret"

The main Bridge pickup on his 1977 Frankenstrat had developed a special unique sound.
https://www.vhnd.com/2019/04/01/eddie-van-halens-1978-touring-rig-and-original-frankenstein-guitar-exhibit/

When EB/MusicMan was developing their 1990 MusicMan EVH Model, the goal was to match all the characteristics, neck geometry and sound of his 1977 Frankenstrat

Upon deep investigation it was discovered that one coil of the bridge pickup was damaged , and MusicMan worked with DiMarzio's pickup guru, Steve Blucher to reverse engineer this pickup for mass production.

They found that if they inserted a capacitor in series between each PU coil bobbin, they could get a close match to the tone, dynamics of the original Frankenstrat pickup

( hint - a similar strategy was employed in the Seymour Duncan 1981 Duncan "Invader" pickups   
https://forum.seymourduncan.com/forum/the-pickup-lounge/263198-what-does-the-capacitor-in-the-neck-invader-do/page2#post5251955

Hello,

For the record, what happened to the pickup is most likely this:

In one of the two coils, the wire was broken. But it remained aligned, forming a capacitor.

Since the capacitance obtained in such cases is most often around 4nF, this effect can be emulated with a 4.7nF capacitor in series with the whole pickup or between its coils.

I had to repair several pickups with this problem in my life. They usually can be recognized to the behavior of their tone control, acting like a second volume pot. But as we know, Ed hadn't a tone pot in his guitar...

This slice of info will be my hommage to EVH here. While we'll vainly keep trying to sound like you, RIP, Edward.

admin

HecticArt

The strat video is great. He's like a kid in a candy store and still got excited about little discoveries.