FTP pickup capacitance measure for single string

Started by marpar, September 23, 2020, 01:17:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

marpar

Hi all!

I'm new user and excuse me for my bad english!

I have a more complex project in mind (add MIDI on my Chet Atkins CE 1991 which I will try to explain in a future post) but I would like to start from the foundations.

Would anyone be kind enough to measure the capacitive value of every single detector of the FTP pickup?

The following are those of the hex pickup installed on my Gibson Chet Atkins:

E red 230.9pF
B withe 241.6pF
G blue 258.4pF
D yellow 205.9pF
A green 185.0pF
E brown 143.2pF

I would like to understand if I can use the Gibson pickup coupled with FTP or is it just a stupid idea!  ???

Thanks,
Marco

marpar

I think I wrote a stupid thing  ::)

I've read this post https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=410.0 after writing mine and therefore I believe that if the FTP pickup is similar I don't think there is any capacitance to measure.  :(

GuitarBuilder

Marco,

That Gibson bridge and pickup will have massive crosstalk, which will make a mess of your FTP MIDI output.  While it may sound great acoustically, it is not ideal for pitch-MIDI conversion - this requires a clean fundamental frequency for each string, or as close to that as possible.

In general piezo pickups do not perform as well with either GK or FTP electronics for a variety of reasons; this is why they all come with magnetic pickups by default.  The best piezo guitars I own both have RMC pickups that are custom engineered for hexaphonic processing.  Even so their performance is a notch below my GK, ATG, or FTP guitars.

Just enjoy your Gibson in its natural state!  If you must absolutely have nylon-string MIDI, I recommend you find a Godin Multiac ACS SA (best) or a Kiesel NS1 (not as great).

Cheers,

GB
"There's no-one left alive, it must be a draw"  Peter Gabriel 1973

marpar

GB,

thanks for your reply.

I had already understood by myself that my walk was all uphill but you confirmed it.  :(

Congratulations on your website is a mine of information and a stimulus for the imagination.

Excuse me again for my bad english.

Dalai_llama

Hi Marco,

I had already understood by myself that my walk was all uphill but you confirmed it.  :(

Other members have attempted to do what you want:

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=8413.25

Reducing signal level is a must, but there are other things to be done as well, so as to mitigate some of the issues mentioned by GB. I am working on the same thing right now, but unfortunately I have nothing to post as of yet.

Congratulations on your website is a mine of information and a stimulus for the imagination.

Over the years, it has been more helpful to me than customer support of most companies.

Excuse me again for my bad english.

Never apologise for that. There are plenty of non-native speakers of English here. Not being absolutely proficient in a certain language does make one stupid, as being a native speaker of a language does not make anyone intelligent. You communicate quite well, and if you didn't many here would be willing to help you all the same. If anything, someone might ask you what your thoughts are exactly just to clarify something.

I've been living in Europe for a few months now and, except for the some very tacky locals, most people are patient and lend a hand when I can't quite express myself in the local language. And I in turn do not think any less of those who try to talk to me in English but have difficulties doing so. They are already doing me a favour by simply attempting.

Cheers and welcome to the group.

kenact

Quote from: GuitarBuilder on September 23, 2020, 11:10:32 AM
In general piezo pickups do not perform as well with either GK or FTP electronics for a variety of reasons; this is why they all come with magnetic pickups by default.

I own several Godin guitars, both GK & FTP, which came with piezo pickups.
Godin Session & Montreal FTP, LGXT, LGX SA, Redline, ACS, A12, A11, A10, A4
Danoblaster Baritone w/GK-3
Gretsch Nashville, Viking
Fender Strats
Fret King Supermatic
Larrivee DV03RE
Parker Midi Fly
Seagull, S&P 12
VOX Phantom XII
GR-55, 33, 30, 20, GI-20, RC-50, US-20, VG-99, VP-7
Sentient 6
Cyr 7

marpar

Quote from: Dalai_llama on October 30, 2020, 03:36:37 AMHi Marco,

Other members have attempted to do what you want:

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=8413.25

Reducing signal level is a must, but there are other things to be done as well, so as to mitigate some of the issues mentioned by GB. I am working on the same thing right now, but unfortunately I have nothing to post as of yet.

Over the years, it has been more helpful to me than customer support of most companies.

Never apologise for that. There are plenty of non-native speakers of English here. Not being absolutely proficient in a certain language does make one stupid, as being a native speaker of a language does not make anyone intelligent. You communicate quite well, and if you didn't many here would be willing to help you all the same. If anything, someone might ask you what your thoughts are exactly just to clarify something.

I've been living in Europe for a few months now and, except for the some very tacky locals, most people are patient and lend a hand when I can't quite express myself in the local language. And I in turn do not think any less of those who try to talk to me in English but have difficulties doing so. They are already doing me a favour by simply attempting.

Cheers and welcome to the group.